mtbr member

Riding partner between July 8 - 13 (cottonwood - sedona - flagstaff)

I've done a ton of research so I'm willing to go out and explore on my own, so this isn't another thread asking for trail suggestions. However, I do get lost easy and I'm sure in July, being lost on Arizona trails isn't optimal.

So I'm visiting/able to ride between July 8 - 13 if anyone is interested in showing me around. I have to plan some family time as well and I'm trying to figure out whether to rent a mtb for a couple days or shell out the $ for an entire week. So that will largely depend on whether anyone minds playing tour guide for beer or food and when they might be free to do that.

I'm a pretty good technical rider but I'm not looking to do 4 foot drops. I have a lot of climbing where I'm from so that doesn't bother me either. I would prefer to get in at least 1 - 2 hr rides a few times while I'm there and if anyone was up for a little longer ride, that would be awesome too.

Just really looking to avoid trying to figure out where to go at every intersection. Went to Pisgah in NC last year and ended up getting lost numerous times and the trip never panned out despite all the research I did. So hoping to avoid feeling like I wasted a great opportunity to ride some epic stuff.

You can PM me on here or just reply to thread. I really appreciate anyone looking to ride and not minding me tagging along.

* Tried not to write too much lol, never works out. I'm staying just outside of Cottonwood just FYI
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

mtbr member
    Flagstaff is where you want to go in July. Sedona is good, but gets warm unless your are out early in the morning. If you have not been to these areas before Sedona is dry and more barren. Smaller trees and lots of rocks, rock ledges. etc. Good riding, but no easy miles. Flagstaff is pine forest with shade and rocks. Different rocks, but there is more big climbs and longer descents. Plus 15 degrees cooler.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Meatbomb
    Down load Trailforks to help prevent getting lost. Ride early!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Down load Trailforks
    ^^^^ THIS X100 ^^^^ It can be a life saver.....literally. MTB Project dot com is another free app every mountain biker should have on their phone.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Actually had both of those installed on my iphone at Pisgah, helped me out a few times but 2 different rides both apps kept crashing. Never had that happen until that trip of course. Still have them on my phone though.

I was planning to ride pretty early to beat the heat. I completely forgot about Flagstaff when I booked our place in Sedona. Long story short, I was on short window of time to book and I think I mixed up Sedona and Flagstaff. I'm sure I'll be happy staying where we will be but the more I was looking at Flagstaff riding the last two days, I'm pretty sure that's where I should have booked our stay. More so because we're coming in July.

Meatbomb
    Not too late to change your booking.

mtbr member
    Flag is just a few min up the road. As for trailforks. It is a great app, but you still have to check it a trail junctions. So much more fun to just ride. Unfortunately I cannot ride that weekend due to other commitments.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Bump - nobody interested in riding?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    if you somehow find your way into prescott, let me know. Cottonwood has some good xc type riding at what i believe is called dead horse. As others have mentioned it will be hot though. If you have the time drive to flagstaff or prescott for a couple rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06whitetaco View Post
    if you somehow find your way into prescott, let me know. Cottonwood has some good xc type riding at what i believe is called dead horse. As others have mentioned it will be hot though. If you have the time drive to flagstaff or prescott for a couple rides.
    Thanks for offer, I just started looking at Prescott too since I see some Pivot racers ride there. Cottonwood seems like a definite at this point because it's close to where I'm staying, I plan to get up to Flagstaff at least one day, and I'd like to do Sedona at least one day just for some of the scenery/rocks.

I'll send you a msg if I think I can make it over to Prescott. Thanks.