Riding on the North Rim?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Riding on the North Rim?

Anyone rode around the area? I'm planing a trip in Aug and would like to hit as many trails as posible.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironbar
    Anyone rode around the area? I'm planing a trip in Aug and would like to hit as many trails as posible.
    Lucky you!

There's also a long section of the Arizona Trail that runs from just east of Jacob Lake down to the Park border.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks bro. Have you ridden the area? If so am I right in thinking that the slick rock area will be the most technicaly challenging?
    Last edited by Ironbar; 04-01-2004 at 10:50 AM.

Saucy Size
    Thanks bro. Have you ridden the area? If so am I right in thinking that the slick rock area will be the most technicaly challenging?
    I guess this wasn't readily apparent -- the "lucky you!" line is actually a hyperlink to my website. The North Rim ride (Rainbow Rim) chapter from my book is a freebie that I offer, so that might be helpful to you.

The AZ Trail bit up to Jacob Lake along the East Rim looks super-cool but I have not yet ridden it. CJ from WOW hit it several years ago and can tell you more.

I'm not aware of any slick rock areas on the North Rim, sorry.

p.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    I guess this wasn't readily apparent -- the "lucky you!" line is actually a hyperlink to my website. The North Rim ride (Rainbow Rim) chapter from my book is a freebie that I offer, so that might be helpful to you.

The AZ Trail bit up to Jacob Lake along the East Rim looks super-cool but I have not yet ridden it. CJ from WOW hit it several years ago and can tell you more.

I'm not aware of any slick rock areas on the North Rim, sorry.

p.

Your chapter mentions a slick rock ride as an "also mentionable" which is aparently Between the rim and the UT boarder....by an abandoned sysmic bunker (?) that is frequented by the 4x4 crowd....

Saucy Size
    Your chapter mentions a slick rock ride as an "also mentionable" which is aparently Between the rim and the UT boarder....by an abandoned sysmic bunker (?) that is frequented by the 4x4 crowd....
    OH OH OH!

Greene Haven. Yeah, cool ride. Super scary. Had nightmares for a week after ending up a little too far out on a fin of rock. Really long drive from the N. Rim though, maybe 4 hours.

p.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What part of North Rim?

I have four wheeled to Whitmore Wash, Whitmore Point, Toroweap, Tuckup Point, Tuckup Canyon and Jumpup Point. I did it in February with snow and August in the heat.

Steve Frew

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    We will be camping in the park, but will be there for 6 days and nights so I should have plenty of time to travel to hit some spots if there are some worth hitting.

mtbr member

Wink

We will be camping in the park, but will be there for 6 days and nights so I should have plenty of time to travel to hit some spots if there are some worth hitting.

Rainbow Rim all the way! I've "lived" at the North Rim about 10 day per month (May-Oct) for 8 years as a guide, and seen a lot of that country. If you have only 6 days, the Rainbow Rim would be my first choice.

This is a large area, and the roughness of the roads makes the driving times rather lengthy (high clearance is a must to get to Rainbow Rim).

Check with the "seasonal locals" at the Grand Canyon Lodge inside the park (the Saloon is the best place to meet employees - 7-10 pm [good beer too]). There are a few folks who have been working there for more than 10 years. Mike Hobbs is an excellent source of info, and a very nice guy who may be able to direct you to another biker on staff.

I met a guy at the Kaibab Lodge last year who had been a mtn bike guide up there about 8 years ago. If he's around, well there you go!

Thanks to the author above for posting the pages to his guide book. Nice service and great selling technique - I'll pick one up!