DFMBA.org

Riding near Strawberry or Pine (maybe w/ kids)?

My family is considering this for a summer vacation and obviously I wanna ride somewhere I've never ridden before. More importantly, I'd like to take my twin 7 year old boys on some easy trail if that's possible as well. Anyone mountain biked near there and can recommend some trails? Thanks.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member

Only riding I've done there is the Fire on the Rim trails. Not sure I'd call them kid friendly, but fun as heck. I know they've been building up there, so maybe so somebody knows of better kid-friendly trails.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    There are a few new builds that they have completed on the E. side of the highway that should work for you and the boys. The section I rode of the new build last year which was not completed yet was really nice. Some climbing out but still nice. My suggestion is to reach out to Mike & Janet and they will help you out in any way. Best way to reach them is through this link for Fire on the Rim race. Mike & Janet are in Pine and they both have been part of the pivotal movement of building new trails in Pine. Here is the link: Contact Us | Fire On The Rim Mountain Bike Race

mtbr member
    I have a second home up there...and while it is absolutely awesome, I have not found much for "easy" trails...I myself love the new "Bearfoot Trail"....Though its not super technical I do think it may be a bit much for 7 year olds...there are a couple trails down in Payson that would work for them...which is part of the P.A.T.S. (Payson area trail system)....thinking Cypress to Boulders North...out and back....and Monument Peak Loop would be great easy trails for them...Here is the Map: https://paysonrimcountry.com/Portals...e_Map_2013.pdf

Here is the link and Video to the "Bearfoot Trail"...it rocks!...awesome video but it does not show that there is quite a bit of climbing...and that's what may be tough on the boys....
    https://www.fireontherim.com/wp-cont...-Trail-Map.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKBfMw1LFq8

I also rent my place from time to time if your looking for a place...Its a cool place surrounded by giant Ponderosa Pines.... game room and all...You can send me a message if you would like more details..

Dan

DFMBA.org

You guys are all awesome and thanks for all the info. I just might do the FOTR race now. Didn't even know about it!

Sent from the trails.

mtbr member

It's a great event, a complete ass-kicker.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Casual Observer is correct that the FOTR race is a kicker. You have out of the gate about 800+ feet of climbing in about 3 miles. It helps separate the riders out. After that some feel the need for speed. Next climb over a saddle and bomb down to Strawberry. Strawberry to the Strawberry/Pine trail and single track it back to town. This has been a great event. The local town people get into it and help out a lot. I've been very proud of being a part of this from the beginning and seeing it grow from 85 riders the first year to over 250+ riders last year in its third year running. This is #4 and it would be nice to see 300 riders come out and enjoy the race and local hospitality. Hope you get to make it out.

mtbr member
    The fact that the town embraces the event is what makes it worth doing. And all the singletrack at the end. That does not hurt. Some of the best 3 miles in the State.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The local riders in Payson have started piecing together a really nice loop in pine and strawberry that is almost entirely singletrack. It encompasses both the barefoot Trail and the singletrack that is ridden in the fire on the rim race.

DFMBA.org
    I certainly don't mind the climb. Hoping to make it this year with a three-man team and maybe camp a little, making it that much more fun.

Click Click Click
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    I certainly don't mind the climb. Hoping to make it this year with a three-man team and maybe camp a little, making it that much more fun.

Camping at that event is half (ok maybe more than that) of the fun! If you are not arriving Friday afternoon and leaving Sunday afternoon, you are missing a GREAT time I will have my RV up there again this year (FRI-SUN), CAN'T WAIT!
    "You either want to or you don't."

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I wouldn't suggest riding the Bearfoot Trail with young children, unless they are pretty strong riders with good bike handling skills. The trail tread is very narrow and either rocky or sandy.

mtbr member
    Make the additional 30 minute drive up the rim and camp off FR 300 by General Crook Trail. Pretty shallow grade in places but lots of riding the kids could do. Or camp off FR95 / 139A and ride Houston Bros from cabin to cabin. You can even park by the Houston Bros. trailhead off FR 95 and ride out to the cabins and back. Great scenery and also kid friendly. Some small climbs they can easily walk.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.