Riding Lemmon top to bottom- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Riding Lemmon top to bottom

. . . is in jeopardy if the Coronado National Forest in Tucson designates current mountain bike-able trails to Wilderness.

Actually, riding it will still be possible but only on pavement.

If that's ok with you, then no further action is required.
    If riding down Lemmon on pavement makes you a little sick to the stomach, then please pipe up:

And shoot an email to Erin Boyle, Assistant Forest Planner coronado-plan@fs.fed.us to let her know mountain biking is a popular recreational activity on Lemmon, it's critical to our summer survival, and with a metropolitan area of over 1 million people, trail access needs to stay open to mountain bikers. Let her know mountain bikers have volunteered countless significant hours to trail maintenance in the Coronado.

The public input for the Potential Wilderness Area Report ends April 30.

Currently, the FS is not aware of mountain biking popularity on Lemmon. The FS needs to consider all users when they manage the trails. If a user group "doesn't exist", then that user group will not be accommodated.

Please help us get the word out that mountain biking on Mt. Lemmon is a popular activity, lots of folks travel to Lemmon to ride the trails, and any other reason you can think of. Thanks, MTBR for your help!

A draft of the wilderness proposal can be found:
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coronado/pla...ocuments.shtml
    The east catalina wilderness potential area affects the proposed top to bottom route; and the Samaniego Ridge Potential Wilderness area affects our beloved Upper 50 trails, the trail off Charoleau Gap, Sammy Ridge, etc.

(This is a cross post at tucsonmtb & sdmb)

Martha Lemen

Plus size jersey model
    May want a better heading to get more views.

mtbr member
    Sun Dog took care of that.

Sup?

comments must be in by the end of April (that means like in a week or so...!)

The Forest Service will collect comments on this Potential Wilderness Area Evaluation Report
    throughout the Forest Plan revision process. Comments on this draft of the Wilderness
    Evaluation Report should be sent to the Coronado National Forest Supervisorís Office by April
    30, 2010. Comments received will be incorporated into the wilderness evaluation.

Please share your feedback or comments on this evaluation report with us:
    Phone: Erin Boyle, Assistant Forest Planner, (520) 388-8300
    Fax: (520) 388-8305
    E-Mail: coronado-plan@fs.fed.us
    Mail: Coronado National Forest
    Plan Revision Team
    300 W Congress
    Tucson, AZ 85701

Sup?

Mtb in the Dragoons affected as well??

Check this link out....

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coronado/plan-revision/documents/WildernessEvalReports/DragoonPWA-DraftReport.pdf

I had always presumed this was wilderness already, but when I saw folks
    in the east side campground unloading bikes the last time I was down there,
    then I realized it wasn't?

mtbr member
    Looks like millagrosa is out of the area, but bugs spring definitely is.

Call Erin boyle at the USFS, and leave a polite comment about your feelings. her direct number is 388-8357

Chilling out
    i'll be posting an email tonight when I get home, can't do email from work. :^(

i'm not a AZ resident, but have made pilgrimmage there in part solely to go ride on Mt. Lemmon. I'm sure other non-AZ people feel the same way.

AZEPIC, if you have a contact list from AZSF you may want to spam...

mtbr member
    Sent

-----------------------------------------------

Erin Boyle,

After 10 years of regular yearly visits to Tucson to enjoy mountain biking, my wife and I decided that Mt Lemmon was _the_ place for us, so we relocated here in Jan of 2009. We left everything behind to be able to make regular enjoyment of the Mt Lemmon trails a part of our day-to-day lifestyle.

Due to the summer heat in the Tucson area, access to the Mt Lemmon trails is our only saving grace. When the weather starts to get hotter, my wife and I ride the trails of the cooler, higher altitudes every weekend; usually on both Saturdays and Sundays.

My wife and I, along with many other mountain bikers, have volunteered significant time and effort to trail maintenance in the Coronado. We have always worked with the forest service to organize these efforts. Our efforts as trail stewards helps to keep the Mt Lemmon trails in the best shape for all of the user groups. Many of these trails are just long enough and just remote enough that that the best way to visit them and keep them in tip-top shape is on a bike.

Personally, I cannot think of anything that uplifts my life more than being on a bike on a trail, in the shaded canopy of the Ponderosa pines. Please don't let anything change that.

Sincerely,

Patrick McKiernan
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks, Evil!

One week left to write in.

mtbr member
    Bump

My other ride is your mom
    Done....sent this in this morning:

Erin Boyle,

As a native Arizonan and former resident of Tucson, I certainly agree with our need to protect our open spaces for recreation within the natural environment. I do however take strong issue with the East Catalina PWA proposal. In short, I believe this would restrict access to many who enjoy and contribute to this unique and beautiful area to include access for those who travel through this area under human/non-motorized power. Despite me currently living in the Phoenix metro area, I still travel south to enjoy the area regularly as I did 2 weeks ago due to the unique beauty of the area.

As a sky island, the Mt. Lemmon trails offer a respite from the heat of summer for many within the current access parameters. Mountain bikers as a group organize many of the trail maintenance outings with the forest services blessing and have spent many hours working in the Catalinas. The solitude that we enable through such efforts by maintaining access for all non-motorized user groups is the key thing that makes many appreciate the Catalinas as one of the treasures of southern Arizona. I first developed my love for extended solitude and self-reliance in the Catalinas....I shudder to think how restricting access further would have impacted this point in my life.

I urge you to strongly consider this request and it's restrictive implications with respect to non-motorized/human powered travel within the proposed wilderness area.

Sincerely,

mtbr member
    email sent.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Smile Top to Bottom OK with new wilderness

someone said:

The east catalina wilderness potential area affects the proposed top to bottom route; and the Samaniego Ridge Potential Wilderness area affects our beloved Upper 50 trails, the trail off Charoleau Gap, Sammy Ridge, etc.

Not true...if you look at the map, all the above areas are way west of the proposed wilderness. Top to bottom, no problem. mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeybikes
    someone said:

Not true...if you look at the map, all the above areas are way west of the proposed wilderness. Top to bottom, no problem. mike
    You have the wrong PWA for Samaniego Ridge. That one is here: http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coronado/pla...FinalDraft.pdf

There are 10 different PWA's for the Coronado National Forest. The East Catalina and Samaniego have the greatest impact on Mt. Lemmon mountain biking activities. It is difficult to tell from the map just how much the PWA impacts 50 year area trails but for sure it impacts Baby Jesus, Red Ridge, Samaniego Ridge, and the Upper 50 Trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Cool-blue Rhythm mountain man's right

thanks, you're right. i kinda wish the overview maps had all the black areas on them...or maybe there is one of those maps, too. there is a lot of info to wade through on the Forest Service site!

mtbr member
    One more day left in this campaign. We checked in with the Forest Service earlier this week and they had received approximately 40 emails from MTB folks. We are shooting to have over 100 responses. Please reach out and touch someone with an email.

Here is the email address for comments to the FS: coronado-plan@fs.fed.us

Tucson, AZ
    Today is the last day to send the emails....

Sup?

done..

sent mine off this afternoon..

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Man
    One more day left in this campaign. We checked in with the Forest Service earlier this week and they had received approximately 40 emails from MTB folks. We are shooting to have over 100 responses. Please reach out and touch someone with an email.

Here is the email address for comments to the FS: coronado-plan@fs.fed.us

Are you serious? Only 40 emails?! Hmm, I guess people just don't care Doesn't surprise me though, I've emailed, facebooked, etc with just about no response.
    JRA

Plus size jersey model
    Yeah I was really surprised to here only 40 emails. Really hoping everyone just waited till the last minute do get theirs done.

mtbr member
    Me and my girlfriend both sent in E-mails on Thursday. I sure hope they got enough to make a point.

mtbr member
    We'll be checking in with the FS this week to see if we can't get a count on how many emails they received during the comment period. Having said that the FS isn't likely to be the party that is in the opposite side of the ring on this deal. I expect we'll see lots of letters from the "Wildernuts" highly recommending that the whole of the Coronado National Forest be converted into Wilderness. We'll know how this all works out in 1-2 years.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

MTB responses are in!

Got a message from Erin Boyle regarding the mtb response to the PWA.

Within the last 2 weeks of the comment period, there were 40 whole responses. In the last week of the comment period, that number shot up to near 300! The FS is still wading through all the comments, and Erin is pretty sure this is a decent estimate. Don't know yet the breakdown of the comments and I don't know the total comments yet. 300 is just about mountain biking!

Awesome! Thanks again to all who took the time to speak up for our beloved sport on Lemmon. Woohoo!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlemen
    Got a message from Erin Boyle regarding the mtb response to the PWA.

Within the last 2 weeks of the comment period, there were 40 whole responses. In the last week of the comment period, that number shot up to near 300! The FS is still wading through all the comments, and Erin is pretty sure this is a decent estimate. Don't know yet the breakdown of the comments and I don't know the total comments yet. 300 is just about mountain biking!

Awesome! Thanks again to all who took the time to speak up for our beloved sport on Lemmon. Woohoo!
    Thanks for the encouraging heads up

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Praying my favorite trails aren't off-limits. Thanks ML!

Plus size jersey model
    All the trails are still open to bikes for the Lemmon Drop.

mtbr member
    I can't give you an exact answer but I can tell you yesterday when on Lemmon I saw plenty of MTB's bombing down Bug Springs and a good amount of trucks shuttling bikes to the top. So, it seems to be open.

Members who have read this thread: 0