Riding in FLG- Mtbr.com

Thread: Riding in FLG

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Riding in FLG

Anybody want to hit the trails? Weather is looking good today, and I'm thinking about going out and exploring. So far the only trails I've hit are stretches of the urban trail, and one ride half way up Mt. Elden. Took Oldham trail back down through Buffalo Park and back into town. Had a great ride, but I know I just barely scratched the surface.

Thinking about driving to the Y at Shultz / Mt Elden (didn't enjoy all the road riding to get out to Mt. Elden, was pretty much a waste of stamina), then biking part of the way up Elden, then taking Brookbank to Shultz via the sunset trail, and ride Shultz back down to the Y. I'm basing this entirely off a map I've bought, no idea what to expect. From the contours, looks like Elden and Brookbank would be a pretty steady climb, and Sunset and Shultz are mostly downhill from there. Looks to be about 13 miles. Probably gonna leave after lunch.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Going to be at the Y in about a half hour. I'll try and remember to take pictures this time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    How was your climb up Brookbank?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hahahahaha I wish someone warned me about it, that's how it was.

On my map it looked like it followed a contour line. Guess I'll pay more attention to the elevation annotations at junctions. Pretty much hiked it a mile to the junction that leads to Sunset trail. I decided a 0.4 mile, 50 foot climb to the inner basin sounded much better than a 2.2 mile, 350 foot climb to Sunset. Inner Basin down to Schultz Tank was an awesome ride (wide, fast, pretty smooth to the junction at Sunset, then a fairly easy ride to the Tank). Schultz Creek Trail down from the basin was exactly what I'm used to out east -- single track above a creek, with little from keeping you going over the edge. Fast, fun, a couple jumps and rock gardens along the way.

Made it back to the parking lot at the Y in about 2.5 hours, not bad for a couple miles of uphill climb up the lookout road, followed by about 1.2 miles of hiking.

Write-up with pictures can be found here. (made a post on the car-site Jalopnik, too lazy to repost the full write-up and pictures here).

Had a great ride overall, can't wait to explore more of the trail system!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Lower Brookbank is a tough climb. Just to be clear, you were not in the inner basin. You were in the meadow in dry lake hills. The inner basin is something totally different.

Glad you had fun. you should at least stop in a bike shop and tell them what kind of a ride you want to do and get directions. It seems like both of your rides you posted were not the best flag has to offer by far. Food for thought when you visit again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Ah, my mistake. Heard someone mention "inner basin" in that direction, thought it was it. And, I moved here a week ago. Trying to hit the trails as much as possible. Any suggestions?

I'm always down to meet up and ride together. Only thing I have going on until August is one morning class Monday thru Thursday.

mtbr member
    I've been meaning to head North and see what Flag has to offer. I've been riding down in Sedona for the past month or so.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    From what I've ridden so far, Flagstaff has some awesome trails. Granted, everyone keeps telling me things like "It seems like both of your rides you posted were not the best flag has to offer by far."

So if the trails I've ridden have been pretty awesome, I can't imagine what the rest of them are like. The only real downside to riding around here that I've found, is that a lot of trails are centered around the mountains. Meaning long uphills, and fun downhills. The hike to the top is a pain in the ass, but the ride back down is incredible (and worth the hike, in my opinion).

Part of me wants to trade my Mazda in for a truck, and start a weekend shuttle service to the top of Mt. Elden...

mtbr member

Riding in FLG

Quote Originally Posted by cabarnett92 View Post
    Part of me wants to trade my Mazda in for a truck, and start a weekend shuttle service to the top of Mt. Elden...
    I can think of other, more fun, options on getting to the top of Elden
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    How was your climb up Brookbank?
    hahaha!! thats funny

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    try the fort valley trails,upper & lower moto,dogfood,azt secret. ect. the t/h is off hwy 180 about a mile above the schultz turn off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    I can think of other, more fun, options on getting to the top of Elden
    The elevation / long uphills are killer! They're whipping me into shape though.

Quote Originally Posted by yz129 View Post
    try the fort valley trails,upper & lower moto,dogfood,azt secret. ect. the t/h is off hwy 180 about a mile above the schultz turn off.
    Sounds like a plan!

mtbr member
    Wrong thread.