Riders in Hawaii- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Riders in Hawaii

Hey all ! I'm looking for a few riding buddies in Hawaii. I live on Oahu close to north shore, if anyone out there needs a good riding partner email me. I'm looking to start going 2-3 times per week.
    I'm a pretty experienced rider, more than my surfing skills that's for sure.

Lemme Know

Justin

banned
    Feb 2004

Good job! Aloha Justin ... what's up bradda??!

Quote Originally Posted by brodyhead
    Hey all ! I'm looking for a few riding buddies in Hawaii. I live on Oahu close to north shore, if anyone out there needs a good riding partner email me. I'm looking to start going 2-3 times per week.
    I'm a pretty experienced rider, more than my surfing skills that's for sure.

Lemme Know

Justin
    Hey Justin!
    So you got the goods on the North Shore goin' on eh??
    Went to HS at Lelehua and surfed the Shore everyday after second period was finished (surf team ... "academic" credits; can you believe it!!!).
    Are you in Wiamea Bay (not sure if my spelling is still accurate now?) or where on the Shore do you reside?
    Is Country Surf Boards still along the two lane through Hallaeva (?) on the left side going north towards Queens?
    Avalanche still the "Monster" at times???

Gees, had such great times there with all my HS pals, which many were local boys who really liked this Howlie (was darker than most of them from the sun and salt water and I never were shoes; no howlie-kind feet after a year there barefooted) so, I guess I turned out more "local" than they were and this worked well for us all; had some really true local friends there.

I have been wondering what the terrain is like to ride it there on mountain bikes.
    We used to ride our dirt bikes in and through the cane fields to the wilderness areas and trial ride the coral from there and we found so much technical terrain that much of it was too dangerous to attempt, relative to the potential injuries if we failed to pull it off.

We rode lots of the Pass over by Schofield Barracks at the base of the Pass and on the military test/firing ranges after hours and on weekends when the military activities ceased and on a few other locations around the island.

Riding the coral there must be a challenge with the extreme grades, the sharpness of the coral and it's endless formations, as well as the "pig brush" that grows just about any where it wants too.
    It has got to be just awesome skill riding terrain with little margin for error, eh?!!

I will be coming to the Islands in the future and if you are a local or a "local" kumahinna (did I get it right ... doubt it-) and you are there to remain, please let me know so we can start getting connected and see if we can hook up on some coral together when I "come home" to visit.

The Islands have always been my Home; never left what They gave to Me while I was there ... I "grew up" there and "there" became Me; in many beautiful ways.

Just wanted to say hello and introduce my self to you and, if you decide to come to the southwest, let me know and I will hook you up the best crew in Tucson for some of the most outragous riding you will ever have in this life time; promise!

Aloha!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

great to hear from a local

Hey GoodVibrations, great letter, some really good info on local life here. I've been riding here three times, and quit after my third attempt. My first ride at Kaena point was good, easy, but nice ride. Then I went to the Aiea loop, all those tree roots and mud, and just outta my league or anyone's trails, too steep, muddy, crazy. Then I went to the Mililani trails by the cemetary, they were all overgrown and super muddy too. I came home and but the bike away for a while, but I'll take it out again.

In the meantime, I'm trying to get my bearings on surfing. I've been a few times, but it's winter still on the North Shore which means 20 feet. Waimea yesterday was crazy, small long boarding 3-4 feet is my style. Growing up on a ski hill and in ski towns, I see that a lot in the surf culture, which before 2 months ago when I moved here I had never experienced. Although a few people have died in the past week due to big waves. An army soldier out a Waimea beach friday night was swept away just taking pictures and drown.

I've been riding down in Phoenix when I was a kid, and it's great down there. Definitely get ahold of me when you come visit, we could ride a trail and then you could give me a lesson on surfing. I live at Schofield, and don't hold that against me. Take it easy bro.
    Justin

banned
    Feb 2004

Hey Justin ... it's all good here!

Quote Originally Posted by brodyhead
    Hey GoodVibrations, great letter, some really good info on local life here. I've been riding here three times, and quit after my third attempt. My first ride at Kaena point was good, easy, but nice ride. Then I went to the Aiea loop, all those tree roots and mud, and just outta my league or anyone's trails, too steep, muddy, crazy. Then I went to the Mililani trails by the cemetary, they were all overgrown and super muddy too. I came home and but the bike away for a while, but I'll take it out again.

In the meantime, I'm trying to get my bearings on surfing. I've been a few times, but it's winter still on the North Shore which means 20 feet. Waimea yesterday was crazy, small long boarding 3-4 feet is my style. Growing up on a ski hill and in ski towns, I see that a lot in the surf culture, which before 2 months ago when I moved here I had never experienced. Although a few people have died in the past week due to big waves. An army soldier out a Waimea beach friday night was swept away just taking pictures and drown.

I've been riding down in Phoenix when I was a kid, and it's great down there. Definitely get ahold of me when you come visit, we could ride a trail and then you could give me a lesson on surfing. I live at Schofield, and don't hold that against me. Take it easy bro.
    Justin
    Hey Justin-
    Tried to send you an e-mail through my AOL voice-link e-mail system, but thought it good to post here as well, for others who have interest in the Islands.

Yea, just what I thought it would be like to hit that mound of coral on a moutain bike ... very difficult and dangerous; my cup of tea!
    The terrain was near impossible at times on our Trial Bikes (moto-cross 250cc Bultacos and King Scorpions) and to look back and think of these same conditions on a mountain bike is simply not considerable; total demise!

We found areas that were certain death if one didn't pull it off Just Right and to think of riding these areas on self powered machines, well, is silly ( and fatally stupid ).

The ground conditions there are difficult enough with the slick mud, and vegetative growth, and the coral rock bed underneath, not to mention the extreme altitude angles to climb; just to keep moving forward.
    It is a head full, and body full of WORK but, if Mastered, no One will Phuaq with YOU out THERE just like Mastering Tucson's Mnt Lemmon; one's wet, the other's dry; both are BAD TO THE BONE ... Heart of the Hard Core; Real of the REAL.

I know of the Shore, very well; was my Hang and Play spot.
    Had 60 foot Tsunami's come in and destroy all the storm walls all along the Shore from Avalanche to Sunset and reshaped Wiamea Bay ... BIG Water!!!
    Waves came in and washed away the parking lot there at the Bay and shot all the way up the mnt over by the Falls!!!

Riding the Shore is the the most powerful water on the planet ... period!
    I almost lost my life at Sunset in storm swells due to undertow and not being leashed to my board (5'.6" custom Country triple skegg swallow tail).
    Luckily, I have tremendous breath volume and holding capacity and I didn't catch any reef as I was pulled under and sucked out about 300 yards before being able to make surface, and, I don't panic.

If I would have had to wait for the 8-10' whitewash to clear, I don't think I would be emailing this to you today, but, I got sucked out past the first breakers where the surface was still clean.
    Another 3-5 seconds and I would have said hello to Davey Jones Locker; it was a "trip"!!!

Luckily, I was with some Team surfers and they saw what was up right away and was headed out to me by the time I was able to make top water again so I could get back in past (over) the undertow to shore and to my board.
    I sat for a moment and took it all in, then headed right back out and ripped some waves up for the rest of the eve with my local Braddas; naturally.

Lost a couple of close surf pals there at Pipeline, low tide and storm swells that broke fast due to the offshore winds (gails) we were in at that time (15-20' bowls ) and the coral pillars that jutt up out of the water as you come screaming in on the lip of the tube and the water gets sucked out from underneath you.
    The pillars are the KILLERS, or, if you loose your board and get sucked under the coral get you then from the massive under current going back out and dismembers you the minute you contact it.
    The sea urchins are a real problem there too, at low tide on the reef lip close to shore; BAD NEWS!!!
    I would rather die to the coral than roll in those beds of urchins; thousands of them ... every inch packed with them when they are migrating like they do there.

Schofield ... know it well.
    My dad was command sgt major and we lived on base there ... it was a blast and I gave the MPs Hell ... 24/7/365; naturally!

Had a great 3 years there and wept like a baby when I had to pull the plug and head back to the US mainland ... great going away party though with 30+ friends showing up with gifts (many of which I had to leave behind due to customs but it was an experience of a lifetime, in every possible way and one I simply never got enough of, it was all so good and healthy and invoking!!!
    I found a lot of genuine people who love Nature's Energy and Beauty and who are so genuine towards Life and beautiful experiences through Nature; it gave Me the Play Ground I was in need of at the time.

I am headed to BC next to live.
    This is a complete move so to open a new cycling center for 365 days of conditioning / training in dirt disciplines for elite level athletes.
    It is a professional training / educational facility that covers all aspect of Elite Conditioning so the athlete comes away in superior condition and has Learned These Values to take with them on to even further personal levels of integration through their lives and careers.
    We will be 30 minutes outside of Whitler between three Provincal Mnt. Parks for endless terrain variety and challenges and ride weather year round!!!

If you can make it to BC, let me know you are coming and we will have a suite saved for you and a slue of high-end machines to play on!

I will definately let you know my travel plans for the Islands when we make it that way and if you want to ride Tucson / NW Mexico, let me know and I will put you in touch with my team in Tucson ... just be ready to breathe deep, ride far, and drop high cause these boys flat out GO and love to laugh at it all!!!
    Out in the Ol' Pueblo, we race the lizards ... and beat 'em; everytime ... we cause "lizard suicides" as they jump out of the way onto the cacti and get impaled ... oops.

Oh well ... can't control "everything" out there when the heat is on ... sorry lizards .

Email me @ Breathdeepc@netscape.net and we will try to stay connected!

"Some men go just where they want ... and some, never go".
    Life is beautiful ... surfing the geological waves!!!
    Last edited by GoodVibrations; 03-01-2004 at 07:31 AM.