Rider down in Phoenix...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rider down in Phoenix...

Surprised this wasn't posted up yet. According to another article I read, the victim was a personal trainer in great shape and had plenty of water.

Woman dead following Phoenix mountain rescue
    Last edited by k2rider1964; 06-20-2016 at 08:18 PM.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member

Rider down on Phoenix...

My coworker mentioned this. I believe she knew this woman. Also I believe she was one of four fatalities in the valley this weekend. So sad... Makes me wonder if she was acclimated to the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Luke, this is your father's lightsaber. I cut him in 1/2 to get it.

mtbr member
    Heat can be a killer for sure!

Ride In Paradise... @rider-down

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Damage: 14' Kona Process 134, 12' Transition Bandit 29er
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by darth biker View Post
    My coworker mentioned this. I believe she knew this woman. Also I believe she was one of four fatalities in the valley this weekend. So sad... Makes me wonder if she was acclimated to the heat.

Not only that, she was riding with two doctors, who immediately started performing CPR. This is really really strange (and sad).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

MEGALOMANIAC
    I watched the report on the news in Los Angeles. In such extreme heat, your brain can literally boil inside your skull and you don't realize it until it's too late to be saved.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    I saw a report here in Phoenix last week. A paramedic shared how he saved a tourist who couldn't remember where had parked his car and suffered a heat stroke. It was in downtown phx.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    It does not appear her death was heat induced. Her aorta failed.
    Michael
    old guy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by masterp2 View Post
    It does not appear her death was heat induced. Her aorta failed.
    well you knew we were going to ask... .... where did you get this information ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Likely an undiagnosed heart defect/cardiomyopathy exacerbated by the heat stress

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by el poseur View Post
    Likely an undiagnosed heart defect/cardiomyopathy exacerbated by the heat stress
    I'd bet on this. Very sad.
    16 Stumpy Elite 650B

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    well you knew we were going to ask... .... where did you get this information ?
    Wondering this as well...

EDIT: The cause is mentioned in the abc15 link above...

mtbr member
    Lost a friend on Schultz Creek to a torn aorta. In his case, a crash but we're not entirely sure. Lost a fellow research scientist to heat stroke in Grand Canyon last September. He didn't take enough water. Know your limits but sometimes sh^t just happens.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Lost a fellow research scientist to heat stroke in Grand Canyon last September. He didn't take enough water.
    Yikes...I start down the Bright Angel Trail this coming Sunday to start a rafting trip. Supposed to be 93 up top and 107 at the bottom that day. I'll be carrying more water than has been recommended.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Yikes...I start down the Bright Angel Trail this coming Sunday to start a rafting trip. Supposed to be 93 up top and 107 at the bottom that day. I'll be carrying more water than has been recommended.
    What a great day! Hike into the canyon, jump on a raft, and within 20 min run of the baddest rapids down there in Horn Creek Private trip or commercial? Most of the outfitters like their folks to hike in early and be down the trail late morning. It won't be that bad and there's water at Indian Gardens at the halfway point.

It's kinda fun to bring a spay bottle and mist the folks hiking out that will truly be suffering. Especially the Euros who insist on wearing as little clothing as possible. Good time for a sun tan.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Surprised this wasn't posted up yet. According to another article I read, the victim was a personal trainer in great shape and had plenty of water.

Woman dead following Phoenix mountain rescue

I know her. She is the sister of my Niece's boyfriend. They are performing an autopsy given the fact that heart issues run in the family. Her brother died due to heart issues about 4 years ago. He was very young as well.

Heat kills but this may not have been heat related.

Rent this space for $
    I read the first article and it didn't mention what the actual temperature was. I'm just curious about it. Anybody know?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    What a great day! Hike into the canyon, jump on a raft, and within 20 min run of the baddest rapids down there in Horn Creek Private trip or commercial? Most of the outfitters like their folks to hike in early and be down the trail late morning. It won't be that bad and there's water at Indian Gardens at the halfway point.

It's kinda fun to bring a spay bottle and mist the folks hiking out that will truly be suffering. Especially the Euros who insist on wearing as little clothing as possible. Good time for a sun tan.
    Commercial...we're starting down at 6 am and we're told they want to be moving down the river by 2 pm. We have a group of 16 people so we're pretty excited about it.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    I read the first article and it didn't mention what the actual temperature was. I'm just curious about it. Anybody know?
    It probably topped out at 102 according to the hours they were out there which is pretty tame for AZ. According to the news reports for whatever they're worth, she was an "avid hiker" , "personal trainer" etc. None of which translates to cycling fitness. I have great fitness on a bike but if I went for a run at 102 degrees that would be a different story.

mtbr member
    At that time it was probably around 0900 and 100f. My kid and I were at the park at 1000 and it was 104f.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I know her. She is the sister of my Niece's boyfriend. They are performing an autopsy given the fact that heart issues run in the family. Her brother died due to heart issues about 4 years ago. He was very young as well.

Heat kills but this may not have been heat related.
    Heat caused, maybe not, but heat is always a contributing factor when exercising in it.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    at the time and location of her collapse, it was about 98F-102F, also keep in mind she was climbing a tough hill with no shade and no wind...

mtbr member
    The time was 8:33 am and while it was on a hill she was pushing her bike (HAB)at the time. Brain was correct in that there was no shade and little if any wind. Not sure of the exact temps, but it was starting to warm up.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Viva la Vida!
    That just goes to show, Don't take one single breath for granted.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SSdirt29 View Post
    It probably topped out at 102 according to the hours they were out there which is pretty tame for AZ. According to the news reports for whatever they're worth, she was an "avid hiker" , "personal trainer" etc. None of which translates to cycling fitness. I have great fitness on a bike but if I went for a run at 102 degrees that would be a different story.
    Also, if you have a heart defect...it might just be a matter of time anyway....

mtbr member
    It's called a pre-existing medical condition. Not sure why you guys are over-analyzing it?