Rider down- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rider down

MTBR Tool

Rider down

...me.

3 broken ribs - haematoma on R. kidney. Not sure when (if ever) I'll be back on the bike

Surfing in the hospital sucks.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Srexy
    ...me.

3 broken ribs - haematoma on R. kidney. Not sure when (if ever) I'll be back on the bike

Ouch. Sorry to hear about this Rex. How serious is a kidney hemotoma? Are you serious about not ever getting back on the bike? Please advise.

Also, a short tale about the OTB would be nice.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Flight Junkie
    Yuck. Sorry to hear it. Here's to a speedy recovery.

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about that and I thought I was the only one injured during the Fling. I won't mention what I'm having for dinner.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt

Bonking ... not feelin' well More Carnage...

Quote Originally Posted by mtdbike
    I thought I was the only one injured during the Fling.
    I guess a SS'er from Cali went off trail somewhere on the last saddle of National before Buena Vista and took a nice chunk out of his elbow...

mtbr member
    ...me.

I kind of hate to say this, but I must be a better rider than you, Yuri, and Epic. I've *never* hurt myself on the Cheesegrater. (Of course, I've never ridden the whole thing either )

Just remember, Chicks dig haematoma kidneys.

Get well (soon or not, but get well, so you can get back on the damn bike).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie
    I guess a SS'er from Cali went off trail somewhere on the last saddle of National before Buena Vista and took a nice chunk out of his elbow...
    Good. We Zonies don't like those Wackos (Californians, not SSers) invading our turf.

Was he/she okay, or was it serious?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If your bike is feeling lonely, I'll be happy to take it on a ride...

Don't give up biking... if you start smoking and watching NASCAR, we'll be forced to kill you... and make your bike watch.

So, how did you do this one?

Get well soon Rex!

MTBR Tool
    Kidney haematoma (as I understand it) is only serious if there is a lot of internal bleeding. Fortunately it looks as if the impact and tear on my kidney was on the fluid part of it. Nonetheless - there is always the possiblity of having to go under the knife and perhaps lose the kidney...

Fall occurred on the now notorious Cheesegrater during a solo night ride (most def the last I do of that ) just after the first chute. I got way out of shape on the first chute and although it appeared I could just ride through it - I endo'd on the second chute. Landed very hard on my right side, cursed vehemently for about 5 minutes and then crawled off the preserve at a snail's pace

If the recovery is good I will be back on the bike but it will be at least a month and who knows if I will be ever be able to attain deity status again

Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Ouch. Sorry to hear about this Rex. How serious is a kidney hemotoma? Are you serious about not ever getting back on the bike? Please advise.

Also, a short tale about the OTB would be nice.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Kidney haematoma (as I understand it) is only serious if there is a lot of internal bleeding. Fortunately it looks as if the impact and tear on my kidney was on the fluid part of it. Nonetheless - there is always the possiblity of having to go under the knife and perhaps lose the kidney...

Fall occurred on the now notorious Cheesegrater during a solo night ride (most def the last I do of that ) just after the first chute. I got way out of shape on the first chute and although it appeared I could just ride through it - I endo'd on the second chute. Landed very hard on my right side, cursed vehemently for about 5 minutes and then crawled off the preserve at a snail's pace

If the recovery is good I will be back on the bike but it will be at least a month and who knows if I will be ever be able to attain deity status again
    Holly Cow. Sorry to hear this Rex. I wish you a quick recovery to full health.

As far as deity status, you are in a win-win situation. Once you have it, it ain't going away. First, it is more than likely that you will fully recover physically and mentally and be as good as new before no time. Thus a deity. Alternatively, you don't recover mentally. You ride slow and squirrelly. Two hooligans blow past you. Hooligan A laughs and comments to his buddy on how slow you were. Hooligan B says: "dude, STFU, you see that slow British dude, he is Srexy. He was a god on a bike. One day he plowed down Cheesgrater at 45 mph in the Spring of 2005, after the wettest season in years. A wildflower obstructed his view and he flew over the bars and was never the same." Hooligan A will say: "sorry man, he must have been a god on a bike." Hooligan B will say: "not a god dude, a deity, a fuqing deity."
    I AM JUST A JERK

Occidental Tourist
    Aw phuck Rex - this isn't good.
    I'm not sure if kidneys are worse than ribs but sheeeet, that sux regardless.
    It may be nasty but I'm glad to have a rider of your caliber to gimp with.
    Gimp a road ride on Sunday?b
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie
    Yeah the SoCal rider was Hugh "aka Princess". We took him to the ER and he ended up crying for a while...then received one stitch!! Pansie!!!!!!
    In all actuality he did not want to go but we convinced him to. There was a piece of fat sticking out of the hole on his elbow. It was probably the only piece of fat on his whole body.

andy
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

Steep Hill
    And I thought you were playing hookie from work! I just heard at the Fling's south mtn and I am very sorry to hear.

Chin up!

Steep Hill
    "And now for the bad news...I have no control in naming T-100 trail sections in your honor."

Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    Dec 2003

Sorry to hear that Rex

...me.

Might I interest you in one of these two items? Or both?

Seriously, fell better soon.

ER
    Attached Images Attached Images

Drugstore Trailrider
    Quote Originally Posted by DownHillFast
    Might I interest you in one of these two items? Or both?

Seriously, fell better soon.

ER
    Okay Eric, am I dreaming, or are you suggesting body armor for XC riding? WTF?

You must have fallen on your head one too many times!

John W.
    Body Armor--Don't Leave Home Without It!

banned
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn
    Okay Eric, am I dreaming, or are you suggesting body armor for XC riding? WTF?

You must have fallen on your head one too many times!

John W.
    I'm just trying to help Rex (or anyone who can't seem to clean the cheesegrater) come up with some ways to stay protected...that particular stretch seems to be claiming some of the best and most brilliant XC riders Trail 100 has to offer...

Actually, it was just SARCASM (except for the part about hoping Rex feels better soon)

MTBR Tool
    My wife will probably be interested in some of that stuff on my behalf

I've cleaned the Cheesegrater before - of course the one time that I don't, only a full chest protector might have helped...

Getting 2 units of blood transfused as I type.

Not a Barry supporter.

I've cleaned the Cheesegrater before - of course the one time that I don't, only a full chest protector might have helped...

Man that sux! I hope all ends well as I hope to ride with you again someday (if I didn't scare you off with my potty mouth at SoMo!).

Chin up and good luck.

I'd like to try this Cheesegrater thing-a-ma-gig when I move there in about 6 months. I'll remember the armor though.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Fragile - must be Italian

Shite - bummer to hear the news

...me.

Shite...sorry to hear the news about your crash. Hearing your story makes my knee problem seem trivial. I hope you recover quickly.

In the meantime, can you at least continue to drink beer? I mean...Jesus...what's a man without his bike and a brew?

BTW - no mention of this to my wife. She's already freaked out because I broke 2 helmets last year due to endo's. Her motto is "don't come home injured...come home dead - we have more life insurance than disability". How thoughtful of her.

Thx...Doug

Glad to Be Alive
    sorry to hear...get well soon
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

MTBR Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    sorry to hear...get well soon

Thanks for all the well wishes. I got discharged this morning from Scottsdale Osborn campus.

Prognosis so far is good although I won't know if my kidney will make a full recovery unitl 1 month from now when I have an appointment w/the urologist and a CT Scan.

In the meantime I'm off work for 2 wks and any kind of strenuous activity for a month. Popping Percocets also so looks as if I'm off the beer in the short-term at least

Hospital took great care of me and I'm glad that the lastest school of thought on ruptured kidneys is to let them heal on their own - a few yrs ago I probably would have gone under the knife automatically.

Be careful out there

Occidental Tourist

You know it's a scottsdale hospital when they have wi-fi...
    Didn't realize quite how serious a hematoma was - best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    On the up side you're a healthy guy and the prognisis should be good.
    Hell I did a 3 hour road ride (and snuck in part of the zipper) - i was sore but it was done. Better living thru chemistry
    Last edited by YuriB; 03-21-2005 at 07:40 AM.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Roni1az
    Dec 2004

damn

sorry to hear about the crash. did it happen tuesday? i was riding out there early afternoon on my blue/wht turner, and some guy named dan stopped me and asked if i was you. must have been my accent, may have been the bike. not sure. then again it was probably due to the fact that i was riding so fast he just assumed it was srexy. anyways, heal up quick. slower riders like me need faster guys like you to make us better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Excuse my ignorance but....

Where is the cheesegrater? Is it the steep downhill as you drop down before going under Cave Creek road?

Good luck on the recovery. Hope you're back to 100% soon.

nnn
    mtbr member
    Hey I got a pretty severe haematoma on my R kidney while skiing January 2004. I was lucky not to be operated and couldn't ride for 6 months, but since then I've been improving and now I'm in better shape than ever, so don't be down - of course you'll be back on a bike sooner than you think !

Steep Hill
    Rex has an accent?

;-)

MTBR Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by nnn
    Hey I got a pretty severe haematoma on my R kidney while skiing January 2004. I was lucky not to be operated and couldn't ride for 6 months, but since then I've been improving and now I'm in better shape than ever, so don't be down - of course you'll be back on a bike sooner than you think !

That's heartening although I was hoping it'd be sooner than 6 months...

More to the point - Jeremy has an accent? - I bet that was Dan Kravets - was he on an orange Ano SC Blur?

Steep Hill

Good job!

Oh that's right, Jeremy speaks fluent Jive.

recovering roadie
    That was me, on a Maverick. I had heard the legends of Rex from AzClydesdale and thought the guy on the Turner was the face to the name.

Best of luck in recovery.

caninus xerophilous

Get well Rex.

Hopefully you will be Fully to Partially Mission Capable soon. Perhaps you be well enough to make it down to Tucson by 4th of July for another Rattle Snake Roundup and Nightride Death March.

Godspeed your recovery.

Louis

I am Walt

Get well soon, Rex!

...me.

Sorry to hear about the injury. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Now I don't feel so bad about taking one look at the Cheesegrater and saying, "F--- it."

Walt
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    You in town? Want a chance to try it? I'm going to ride tonight.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Sure, when its Walt you are free to ride. Hah. You are a Crane Fly. Oh, by the way, turns out I was 100% correct before. Check this out.

Crane fly adults only live for a couple of days and do not usually feed. Their larval stages are usually aquatic. These flies easily loose their long spindly legs if handled. Because of their size, you can study the "halteres" organs. Halteres function as balancing gyroscopes and are located just behind the first set of wings on the thorax. This large crane fly is sometimes mistaken for a giant mosquito due to conspicuous mouthparts. In England, they carry the common name of "daddy-long_legs", not to be confused with Phalangida group of arachnids which also carry this common name. The French call these insects "cousins".
    http://www.insects.org/entophiles/diptera/dipt_003.html

My grandpa was British, well lived there from 2 years to 21 years, and thus the term, as used in Great Britain, went from him to my dad to me.

Rex, sorry if this is off topic but it is an interesting British related matter. Get better so we can go riding and insult one another.
    I AM JUST A JERK

I am Walt
    First of all, Geoff, STFU. (God, it feels good to say that - been a while)

Yeah, I'm here - I've had all-weekend+ swim meets that last three weekends - Goodyear, Seattle, then here in Phoenix this last weekend. Limited riding, but been running.

Can't ride tonight - have to pick up a practice. After this week, the kids are off for two whole weeks, so I will be able to work in some weeknight rides.

I will be riding this coming weekend and likely this week W or Th late afternoon at SoMo.

See ya!
    Ride more; post less...

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    First of all, Geoff, STFU. (God, it feels good to say that - been a while)

Yeah, I'm here - I've had all-weekend+ swim meets that last three weekends - Goodyear, Seattle, then here in Phoenix this last weekend. Limited riding, but been running.

Can't ride tonight - have to pick up a practice. After this week, the kids are off for two whole weeks, so I will be able to work in some weeknight rides.

I will be riding this coming weekend and likely this week W or Th late afternoon at SoMo.

See ya!
    I don't know what makes me want to upchuck more, Skinny-tire's "HOUSE" excuses for not being able to ride or Walt's "SWIM MEET" excuses for not being able to ride.

Rex, get well soon.

PS" No Walt, you STFU and just ride. Dirdir out.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Steep Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbs
    That was me, on a Maverick.
    Ah yes.

"Dan the 6 Million Dollar Man"...Another guy who's not a stranger to Re-Hab.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZClydesdale
    Ah yes.

"Dan the 6 Million Dollar Man"...Another guy who's not a stranger to Re-Hab.
    Um, I think you mean Timothy Leary.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    ...me.

Srexy,

Sorry to hear any rider go down, let alone a fellow Turner Homer go down in flames. I genuinely hope you have a speedy and complete recovery. Several years ago I went over the bars (demoing a small Racer X) bad flying off a jump just north of the saddle on trail 100...had a nice jerky scab from my elbow to my butt crack for about 2 months. Just remember riding your Burner after the 3rd or 4th ride and realizing this is one of the best bikes that you have ever thrown your leg over. Hopefully that will give you motivation to get back over the saddle.

I live two blocks from the 32nd Street and Shea trailhead, never heard of cheesgrater on T-100, where is it located?

Best regards for a full recovery.

kegbert1

mtbr member
    Rex, sorry to hear about the damage! There was some nasty carnage at the NOVA race too.... I saw a guy flip/pile drive himself descending the rocky loose stuff off the back of the one tech climb on the expert loop - looked awful, and sounded like he may have sustained similar injuries. If not - he's lucky!

Take it real easy, get well, and good luck! You 'Zonans are nuckin futs!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Rex, sorry to hear about the damage! There was some nasty carnage at the NOVA race too.... I saw a guy flip/pile drive himself descending the rocky loose stuff off the back of the one tech climb on the expert loop - looked awful, and sounded like he may have sustained similar injuries. If not - he's lucky!

Take it real easy, get well, and good luck! You 'Zonans are nuckin futs!
    It's very easy to turf it there if you're pushing it because it's rutted with all sort of loose cobbles all over. He must have gone end over end a few times...
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by kegbert1
    I live two blocks from the 32nd Street and Shea trailhead, never heard of cheesgrater on T-100, where is it located?
    Ummm, I'm not the expert as I spent some time trying to figure that out at first, but I think it is the 1A or 302/304 descent going west to east down the north flank of Squaw Peak (what did he just say...?).

Access it from 1A coming east from T100 shortly after the 1A overlook with the bench. Go up some tight switchbacks and some goat trails over a couple small saddles before you get to the main saddle/overlook before dropping down to the Cheesegrater.

As far as I know...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Ummm, I'm not the expert as I spent some time trying to figure that out at first, but I think it is the 1A or 302/304 descent going west to east down the north flank of Squaw Peak (what did he just say...?).

Access it from 1A coming east from T100 shortly after the 1A overlook with the bench. Go up some tight switchbacks and some goat trails over a couple small saddles before you get to the main saddle/overlook before dropping down to the Cheesegrater.

As far as I know...
    Waltaz,

Thanks, from your description, I understand exactly where the cheesegrater is.

Best,

kegbert1

mtbr member
    It's very easy to turf it there if you're pushing it because it's rutted with all sort of loose cobbles all over. He must have gone end over end a few times...
    Rutted and loose cobbles - excellent description! Indeed, at speed, he rolled a few times after drilling himself....
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Ouch, I am hot!
    Srexy,

Sorry to hear any rider go down, let alone a fellow Turner Homer go down in flames. I genuinely hope you have a speedy and complete recovery. Several years ago I went over the bars (demoing a small Racer X) bad flying off a jump just north of the saddle on trail 100...had a nice jerky scab from my elbow to my butt crack for about 2 months. Just remember riding your Burner after the 3rd or 4th ride and realizing this is one of the best bikes that you have ever thrown your leg over. Hopefully that will give you motivation to get back over the saddle.

Best regards for a full recovery.

kegbert1
    Kegbert, both Skinny-tire and I live two blocks from the same trailhead. Who are you? I am on Hatcher.

I suck at giving locations, but here goes. From the DD parking lot go east up T100 to the first saddleback (Conversation Point). Turn south from Conversation Point and continue up to 1A. There is a bench and lookout at 1A just above conversation point. East on 1A for a short distance and then bear right up the "big" switchbacks. I am not even sure if this trail has a name or number. The descent down the other side of the "big" switchbacks is the Cheesgrater.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Kegbert, both Skinny-tire and I live two blocks from the same trailhead. Who are you? I am on Hatcher.

I suck at giving locations, but here goes. From the DD parking lot go east up T100 to the first saddleback (Conversation Point). Turn south from Conversation Point and continue up to 1A. There is a bench and lookout at 1A just above conversation point. East on 1A for a short distance and then bear right up the "big" switchbacks. I am not even sure if this trail has a name or number. The descent down the other side of the "big" switchbacks is the Cheesgrater.
    Dirdir,

I live off of Mission and 32nd Street, I typically ride afternoons on the weekend, occasionally after work if I can leave my desk before it gets dark.

kegbert1

mtbr member
    Dirdir,

I live off of Mission and 32nd Street, I typically ride afternoons on the weekend, occasionally after work if I can leave my desk before it gets dark.

kegbert1
    No kidding? Me too. Las Rocas.

We're riding tomorrow around 6:30-7 if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    No kidding? Me too. Las Rocas.

We're riding tomorrow around 6:30-7 if you're interested.
    Skinny Tire- cannot make it, both kids have little league practice tomorrow night. Thanks for the invite, are you guys riding with lights? at 6:30 it's almost dark.

kegbert1

mtbr member
    Skinny Tire- cannot make it, both kids have little league practice tomorrow night. Thanks for the invite, are you guys riding with lights? at 6:30 it's almost dark.

kegbert1
    Yep, you have one?

What side of 32nd street are you?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Yep, you have one?

What side of 32nd street are you?
    Skinny Tire - Bar mount, not helmet mount, I live on the west side of 32nd Street.

kegbert1

mtbr member
    Skinny Tire - Bar mount, not helmet mount, I live on the west side of 32nd Street.

kegbert1
    We're neighbors

Just another half mile...

Another Dreamy Drawer....

kegbert1
    Wow, another Dreamy Drawer. I live off of 26th and North lane, just south of Shea. I have been leading night rides most Tuesdays around 6:30 to 7 for the past many years. You're welcome to come out for the torture fest......

Another proud owner of a 6 year old Turner XCE!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    ...me.

REX!

Duh...never thought to come to MTBR for details on the crash! I called looking for you a day following your crash and Lydia gave me the unfortunate news... I asked her to have you give me a call, not sure you got that message or have been in any condition to actually make the call. Hope everything is getting better, you know I am around for ya if you need anything. Stephen (from the tex) was out this weekend and purchased a new Moto-Lite after demoing one (which was the reason for my call..wanted you to come join us!)

GIVE ME A CALL (when you can breath!!)

mtbr member
    Damn Rex, very sorry to hear about the accident. I hope all is well and that you will be back riding and drinking beer soon.
    Stephen

Occidental Tourist

Sorry Rex

don't look at your email.
    Good news - Rex is alive and recovering.
    Sorry Rex in the event you login but these folks could use a dose of passion = yea they can get out on the bike.
    Kinda puts the BS into perspective.

I'd like to be more PC but
    SHUT THE PHUCHK UP AND RIDE
    and if you still have issues please PM me and keep the boad (relatively) bs free.

love, peace and chicken grease or
    fo sheezy my neezy i keeps my elbowz so greezy
    fo shizzle my nizzle

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    don't look at your email.
    Good news - Rex is alive and recovering.
    Sorry Rex in the event you login but these folks could use a dose of passion = yea they can get out on the bike.
    Kinda puts the BS into perspective.

I'd like to be more PC but
    SHUT THE PHUCHK UP AND RIDE
    and if you still have issues please PM me and keep the boad (relatively) bs free.

love, peace and chicken grease or
    fo sheezy my neezy i keeps my elbowz so greezy
    fo shizzle my nizzle
    Run. Run for your lives, Yuri has gone postal.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Steep Hill
    In honour of this legacy, I hearby promise not to stir any pots in this thread. In fact, Butacabra can enforce a sucker gut-punch (he's very good at that) should this be violated.

Any thought of putting a ride together for the return of Rex?

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by AZClydesdale
    In honour of this legacy, I hearby promise not to stir any pots in this thread. In fact, Butacabra can enforce a sucker gut-punch (he's very good at that) should this be violated.

Any thought of putting a ride together for the return of Rex?
    I am up for that, but first, who is this Rex fella?
    I AM JUST A JERK

I am Walt
    Run. Run for your lives, Yuri has gone postal.
    He hit his head when he fell and now he rides his beach cruiser and drinks umbrella drinks.
    Ride more; post less...

MTBR Tool

I've been lurking for a week or 2...

and I guess I should have been posting as it seems the AZ forum has degenerated into an armchair biker discussion board.

Anyway - haven't really felt like adding much to the discussions recently as I am currently incapacitated and slowly losing my mind due to a combination of enforced inactivity and my family being sick also...

My kidney seems to be healing ok - the technicolor peepee show stopped last week and I'll have another CT scan this week coming to get a better idea of the situation. Ribs are ok - the only ailment I currently have are sore balls and lower back pain (time for that TemperPedic mattress methinks). I used my 20% off coupon and picked up a trainer from Performance and have done a couple of short spins on it - 10 and 15mins respectively.

Hope everyone can put their differences aside and enjoy the primo weather.

I am Walt
    (time for that TemperPedic mattress methinks).
    Rex - try the NovaForm (I think that's what it is) at Linens & Things. It's just like a TempurPedic, but alot less expensive. It was $799 at L&T, but we got one at Costco for $5-something. But it's gone from Costco last I saw.

Keep recovering.

Walt
    Ride more; post less...