Ride to work- Mtbr.com

Thread: Ride to work

Bring the ruckus

Ride to work

I'm going to start riding to work and back to save money and get in shape (not to bad for the air we breath either). Any recomendations on good tires for mixed canal/road use? I don't want to eat up my singletrack tires on my daily work ride but I want something that will hold up to the occasional romp through Papago on my way home. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Does anyone else use their bike as a daily commuter?

mtbr member
    I personally run Maxxis Hookworms. They big and heavy, but darn near flat resistant.
    Something like a Kenda K Rad might work - should have enough tread for a quick Papago ride.

I switch between my Morphine, my Karpiel or my Fat Chance, depending on how I feel that day.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

Kathleen in AZ
    One of the problems with riding canals and sidewalks around here is goatheads... I used to have tons of flats until I switched to Specialized Armadillo tires. They make them for road and mtn - I have them on both. The mtn tires are really narrow and you'd never want them for your real trail riding around here, but they rock for commuting!!! As I am slowly giving up all my 26er bikes, I have a set of Specialized Armadillo mtn tires that I no longer use. I'll sell them for cheap - let me know if you are interested.

sixsixtysix
    Maxxis Holy Roller's would work good, they are designed for street, or hardpack. They do have a little bit of tread to them, but roll extremely well.

Maxxis Hookworms would work also like Kavu was saying, but those have even less tread.

Tucson, AZ
    I use the Maxxis Hookworms for my daily commute to work and back, but I tend to stay on road when I have them on my bike.

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    One of the problems with riding canals and sidewalks around here is goatheads... I used to have tons of flats until I switched to Specialized Armadillo tires. They make them for road and mtn - I have them on both. The mtn tires are really narrow and you'd never want them for your real trail riding around here, but they rock for commuting!!! As I am slowly giving up all my 26er bikes, I have a set of Specialized Armadillo mtn tires that I no longer use. I'll sell them for cheap - let me know if you are interested.
    +2 for Armadillo's with slime tubes. I rarely get flats.

narrow? not quite true, unless you consider a 2.0 mtb to be narrow.

They make the Armadillo in a bunch of the SpecialED tires in 08. Look them up on the special site.

mtbr member
    Rode T100 last night, including some gnarly climbs, on the Hookworms - also rode 24th Street Sunday the same way.
    They hook up better than you'd think.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

JohnniO
    For commuting on canals I guess it depends where you are as far as flats. I've ridden everything from Knobs to skinny road tires and rarely had a flat. For riding in a straight line like a canal you don't need to worry about traction either. Just find something thats cheap or on sale, preferrably puncture proof and use slime tubes. They'll be heavy but if you want to get in shape...

Members who have read this thread: 0