ride Sunday 4/4 in Scottsdale?- Mtbr.com
    Eleven - it's one louder

ride Sunday 4/4 in Scottsdale?

Hi shredheads. New to the forum and mtbr.com. What a great site! Old-timer here who used to ride a lot and has ridden many of the Phx area trails...but not for 15 years! Recently got the wife her first bike and we've been having a blast the last two months riding at McDowell Mountain Park and Pima/Dynamite. We're mid-40's. I'm in decent (improving) shape with pretty good bike skills, she's in great shape but new to mt. biking. To give you an idea of where we are right now, we did the Pemberton Trail (clockwise) in about two hours last week, including 20 mins of stopped time to talk to another couple. I think we could do it in 90 minutes if we really pushed it. Here's a pic of us there a couple weeks ago with me rockin' the ol' Fat Chance and her on her new Fisher.

We live near Loop 101 and Raintree Drive in Scottsdale and are looking for a trail we can ride to without driving. In the 'Trails Review' section, I found one called "Brian's Wild Ride", but several reviewers mention different starting points and no reviews are more recent than 2005. One review said the trail can be accessed from 105th Street. Still the case? We will probably give it a try on our own but would prefer to meet up with someone who knows these trails. I know we're not far from the old Cactus Cup course at West World but don't know how to access it. We can meet between 10a and 11a if anyone would like to lead us on a ride from there or somewhere close and not too much more technical than the trails she's done so far. Would also like to meet other couples of similar level for semi-regular rides.

Looking forward to meeting some of you on the trails!

Thanks,
    BBC & MJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ride Sunday 4/4 in Scottsdale?-img_2316cs.jpg  

Today's solid oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground. -Anonymous

Meatbomb
    All the trails of the Sonoran Preserve are open to you from your location with just a short pedal down Raintree.

http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/preserve.asp

Ahhh the pain....
    BBC,
    If you take a look at that map Philo linked, you'll see a number of trails on the west side of the McDowells. The mellower trails that are still very fun are Tailiesin, Quartz, and Lost Dog. LD can get real busy on the weekends....tons of hikers. Paradise is fun. Horseshoe and Desert Park trail are good, although once you hit windgate, be sure to hand a right since a left will guarantee some good climbing. That ride down Windgate has a few spots for a new rider that might be sketchy at first. Stay away from riding up Bell Pass from the West; it's super steep at the top.
    Hope that helps...

mtbr member
    I work at 101 and Cactus just got a new 29er id like to hit the local trails too
    '10 Rockhopper SL Comp 29er

im4Gsus
    imo none of the trails in the sonoran preserve are for beginners. since you have skillz, i suggest you check them out first, w/o your wife. if she goes on some of these very rocky trails and has a bad fall, she might stop riding altogether as many of my friends' wives have done. to get a taste of rocky trails, take her to T100 from 40th street south of shea.

a cautious ol' lady's 2
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

Meatbomb
    Ha... I saw you guys today.. You were waiting to cross Frank Lloyd Wright at Cactus. Did you hit up Taliesan to Quartz?

Thats my typical entry point as well ..

Eleven - it's one louder
    Thanks for the input everyone. Phillbo, good link. Wasn't us you saw the other day, though. I am going to take kaboose's advice and try those trails on my own first. This Sunday we will instead go to McDowell Mountain Park again, but will try the Competitive Track. If she hates it we'll just hit Pemberton again. From my memory of it (rode it a few times years ago) she should be OK. We will get there about 11am if fatboypup or anyone else wants to join us.
    Today's solid oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground. -Anonymous

mtbr member
    I cant make it gotta do Easter Brunch @ 12 ..........
    '10 Rockhopper SL Comp 29er

I am Walt
    BBC - I'd be happy to show you around...shoot me a PM.

Walt
    Last edited by waltaz; 04-12-2010 at 07:52 AM.

aka Diesel
    :edit:
    Last edited by CoyoteKis; 04-12-2010 at 04:33 AM.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

Members who have read this thread: 0