Tucson, AZ

Ride something new...explore

Imagine you as the mountain biker that you have become. You can clean almost all of national or perhaps can crank out a double bypass or some dirty century... but have you really ever ventured out into the wild to find your own trails? I encourage you to try it someday, it just might yield you some great cow singletrack or technical FR. Pack a GPS, huge amount of water and a sense of adventure.

Yesterday, I scanned some aerials to try to connect to existing trails that few if any ride. I set out on a 5-hour solo ridein the Tortolitas.

This was scribbled in at the solar windmill

The rest of the wash (I concluded from aerial views) would be a combination of wash and cow singletrack. At first, the cow singletrack was very, very rideable. I was praising cows in the southwest.

Nice cow singletrack eh? This lasted for about 1 mile, too short lived past . I passed some great slickrock sections. After riding a little under 3 miles, I could see the Wild Burro ST come into view onto my GPS. Success, some may say but I doubt anyone would ever want to ride this wash and cow singletrack.

After reaching the Wild Burro Trail system, I turned around and started riding back to the first windmill to ride Como Trail. I saw this little critter before the big descent

Como Trail is everything that a trail needs, views and technical rock sections. A few rider might dislike the trail b/c of the overgrowth, but on the whole it is pretty darn good singletrack.

It's a shame nobody ventures out here. I only saw tracks on the first few miles of the powerline road, no tracks on any of the singletrack sections.

A true sign of a legit trail, a gate.

Sad to see one of these critters in this state...

At the top of the trail, before the you drop into some pretty fast, technical shoots, you have a great view into Oro Valley and the La Cholla Airfield.

I enjoyed an easy ride east on Moore Rd to my car, I periodically would glance around my shoulder to see the car-less stretch of road and this

The finished map from the rides....

Last edited by azepicriderandrunner; 10-05-2009 at 01:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner

Beautiful!

I love the feeling you get when you head out into the unknown and find new trails. They may not be new to everyone, but the sense of exploration is one of the fundamentals of mountain biking, IMO. Thanks for the reminder!

b
    b

wrecking crew
    Thank you for sharing the beautiful trail pics....great post, man!
    ~~~

i like cheese.
    Awesome post...

aka Diesel
    Inspiring.

Truly beautiful.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

drink coffee, ride.
    Great post and pics - love the sunset.

Not a Barry supporter.
    Great post and many too few (does that make sense) take on this kind of challenge. When I lived in Seattle, we made it a goal to go to an unknown trail once every 4-6 weeks just to see what was out there and what we could be missing. We found some really killer stuff and actually started to ride a great deal of them regularly. Most of the time, we'd get lost but always had a great time. We ended up calling our little group the F'n Lost Mtn Bikers. That's where my screen name comes from.

Now-a-days with 2 kids, I don't get to do that too much anymore. I do miss those times of finding your way back to the car on unknown trails. Truely great fun.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Fragile - must be Italian
    Awesome pics, Chad.

Now about that "venture off into the wilderness" thing...

uh....

I have a hard enough time not getting lost on trail systems I DO know! I can't imagine the trouble I would get into if I tried to rely on my (very broken) "directional instinct"...even with a GPS.

If I went out into the Great Unknown by myself like you just did, they would have to send a search & rescue squad after me. So in the meantime, I will just have to live vicariously through your neat-o adventures and either (a) stick to trails that make it impossible for me to get lost or (b) always ride with somebody who can get me home in one piece.

Thx...Doug

Tucson, AZ
    Some proof that exploring works...the exploratory trip here that we did last June.

Plasko
    Amazing - thanks for sharing!!

mtbr member
    Wow! Great pictures, great story. I'd share this in the passion thread too.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    i can point you to some old trails that need riding......... Steve.
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Master Gardener
    Word.

mtbr member
    Nice Chad,
    I've been in exploring mode lately too. Even in phoenix there are trails and jeep roads in the mountain parks to be explored. The West end of SoMo can really make you feel like you're in the wild. Especially in the end of the park that is against the reservation.

I've been reading "Undaunted Courage" a bio about the Lewis and Clark explorations Ambrose and have been inspired to wander more. Even simple explorations like walking home from work one day can be a fun way to explore you see all kinds of stuff.

Members who have read this thread: 0