Ride Report -- Mt. Elden 7-14-2012- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ride Report -- Mt. Elden 7-14-2012

Did a fantastic ride at Mt. Elden on Saturday. Six riders in the group. Drive up to Flagstaff from Phoenix didn't have us feeling very optimistic as it was raining cats and dogs most of the way up.

Conditions at the bottom of Schultz Pass were pretty good. Dirt was damp, but not muddy, this brightened our spirits. We shuttled up Mt. Elden Lookout Road to where it meets Sunset. The junction was covered in clouds, couldn't see the valley below which was very cool and weird at the same time. It was my first time on Organ Donor, which was a rough way to start not being warmed up.

From there our route was basically Sunset to Secret Trail to New Secret (or Twister Sister as another group we encounted called it). We went just past Pipeline down to Arizona Trail over to where it intersects with Hotshot and then down to Schutz Pass trail for an epic downhill finish.

It rained off and on while on the trail, enough to keep us wet, but not so much to ruin the ride. It was truly a great experience even for a novice like myself.

The only thing I'm bummed about is my GoPro didn't work at all for some reason, which means no cool videos to really paint the picture of just how awesome it was up there in those conditions. I'm hoping Eazy_E will have some pics to share from his camera.

ben

mtbr member
    These are the only pictures I have. I didn't get the phone out more because it was rainy.

It pretty much felt like being in Oregon the whole day.

But yeah, it was a good time, despire the constant rain. I really liked the AZ Trail around there. One day, I need to take a few days and do a bikepack shuttle from South Rim down to Happy Jack or something.

All in all, a great way to spend a Saturday. Can't wait for my Tallboy LT to show up.

Members who have read this thread: 0