Ride of Honor Cycling Rally- Mtbr.com
    parenting for gnarness

Ride of Honor Cycling Rally

Ride of Honor to raise awareness with Legislators over cyclist rights, and push for changes to laws for better protection for cyclists. Done as a response to some of the cyclist tragedies of the last few weeks. May 19.

https://www.facebook.com/events/288850051201143/
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Something defiantly worth doing!

We invite all Arizona cyclists to join this rally in response to recent roadway incidents causing serious injury and death to cyclists.

Attend to support:
    * Building Awareness for Cycling
    * Promote Sharing the Road and Safe Cycling
    * Show Lawmakers that Cycling is Important to their constituents to pave the way for legislative change, including Distracted Driver statutes and Vulnerable User bills.

This is event is for cyclists of all types and skill levels. Local teams, groups and shops are organizing designated meet-up locations to ride together to the Rally (more info to follow).

This is a media event so wear your team kits with pride and - of course - model the safe, respectful cycling we know you practice.

Honor those fellow cyclists lost and injured on our roadways with your attendance. Hear from the families and survivors and have an opportunity to share your testimony. Join us in saying Not One More Cyclist need be injured or lost on Arizona roads!

There is no singular Ride of Honor route. We encourage cyclists to form and join other cyclists across the Valley in riding to the Capital. You are invited to join the below meet-ups and/or post your own!

NEW: MEET-UP LOCATIONS
    Gather at 8:45 am - Wheels down at 9:00 am
    ~10 miles to Rally at the Capitol

West Phoenix:
    Ashley Furniture Pavillion- 83rd Ave and Encanto
    Meet Up Location for Ride of Honor Capitol Rally May 19th in Phoenix, AZ | Bike Map | MapMyRIDE

Peoria:
    Peoria and 25th Avenue - 9833 N. 25th Ave Phoenix
    Meet Up Location for Ride of Honor Capitol Rally May 19th in Phoenix, AZ | Bike Map | MapMyRIDE

Kiwanis Park in Tempe:

Tempe Beach Park:

Scottsdale:
    Paradise Bakery/Coffee Bean parking lot
    Scottsdale Rd and Doubletree
    Meet at 8:15 am - Wheels down at 8:30 am
    Yes, I'm the crazy christmas guy!

parenting for gnarness
    bump.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    Ride of Honor to raise awareness with Legislators over cyclist rights, and push for changes to laws for better protection for cyclists. Done as a response to some of the cyclist tragedies of the last few weeks. May 19.

https://www.facebook.com/events/288850051201143/
    Anybody interested in meeting at 32nd St trail head and then biking down?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

pedaller
    There are lots of meet up spots and it looks like Washington will be the road of choice coming from the East Valley.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

parenting for gnarness
    did this event this morning, almost a 30 mile ride from N. Snottsdale to the capitol, with 100+ others. There were probably ~500 cyclists total riding in from all over the Valley. The rally was to the point and only lasted an hour, a few speakers including Jerry Lewis, who replaced Russell Pearce. Lewis relayed the story of how he got hit in the junk with a padlock thrown from a car, during his campaign against Pearce. There was a short speech by one of the riders run-down on McDowell Road near Hawes last month. He thanked the first responders who saved his life, and if I am not mistaken among them were a couple of MTBrs coming from the NRA pit. There were also some media campaigns announced that hopefully will be viral and help raise awareness. I'll post on those if I hear more.

Most mtbrs think this is not their issue, and there is some truth to that. But its about anyone who uses the roads - runners, kids, riding to THs, commuting, pub crawls, walking your dog, or in your car knowing that there are laws protecting you against stupid and irresponsible drivers. If you've ever almost been in an accident cause someone is texting, this is your issue too.

I took my CX bike, cause why would i ever ride across the city and not do it on canals and stop for beers? Stupid move with 99 other roadies, not a single one carrying a flask. thankfully i did not wear baggies but my visor and spd pedals had people wondering what dumpster i pulled those out of. *sigh*...tridorks... There was no dirt to be had, shoulda brought my road bike cause i got shot out the back on the last 5 miles home back to the meetup, then slogged another 10 miles to my house. 60 miles on a 32lb steel bike with 38mm tires, I am very tired.

I have not been in a big pack in a long time, and I personally stayed in the bikelane. A lot of people did not do this and took up a full lane. I thought it was a problem. A car accident happened 5 feet away from me in Central Phx me when one car slowed cause cyclists were creeping into his lane, and he got rear-ended from behind. I jumped the curb to get out of the way, which justified the cross bike. Hearing the crunch of an accident next to me, and also passing the spot where the guy was run down in Scottsdale at Thompson Peak and 100th last month -- heavy stuff. Be safe out there.

pedaller
    Good to see you out there Cholla - as well as a few other familiar faces.

I was spent from the ride as well. I think it was a combo of the heat & wind. I'm not used to riding that "late" in the day. I think the 10:00am start for the rally was too late for the end of May but I'm sure the logistics of getting the speakers there, etc played a roll in that. It probably also played a roll in keeping some riders from showing up too.

Considering how quickly this came together it was a good turnout and hopefully it'll bring awareness to the cause.

Anyone who spins the cranks will benefit from any progress on this issue.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I do like how they are approaching the issue as a "distracted driver" law as that makes the most sense - especially since you can get multiple groups to assist in pushing the law forward .
    Yes, I'm the crazy christmas guy!

meow
    This was a great event, Sterling Baer, the president of Not One More Foundation asked by a show of hands how many cyclists at the rally have been hit or brushed off the road by a vehicle. At least 70% of the crowd had their hands up. I've been very lucky so far (I DO ride road too) but with that high of a percentage it's just a matter of time before something happens.

Even if you ride dirt exclusively, this issue belongs to you and the entire cycling community. Get involved and push our legislature to strengthen the laws and penalties regarding distracted driving. And if you have a habit of driving with your smartphone in your face put it down before you hit a cyclist.

Not One More
    https://www.facebook.com/NotOneMore

pedaller
    May 22, 2012

A 19-year-old woman was killed Monday night after she was hit whie riding her bicycle along U.S. Highway 98.

According to the Florida Highway Patrol press release, 22-year-old Santa Rosa Beach resident Aaron Croy Shipes was driving his 2005 Nissan Extara eastbound around 9:40 p.m. when he approached the bicyclist from behind.

For unknown reasons, Shipes veered into the bicycle lane hitting Galina Bumbalova of Santa Rosa Beach who was riding her bicycle on the south side of Hwy. 98 in the bicycle lane near Hidden Dunes Drive at the time.

Bumbalova was pushed forward and collided with a utility pole, the report said. After the collision, Shipes got back onto the roadway and left the scene.

Bumbalova was transported to Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast where she later died.

Alcohol is not believed to be a factor with Shipes or Bumbalova. Charges in the case are pending further investigation.
    For unknown reasons, Shipes veered into the bicycle lane...

Those words are FAR too common these days. It used to be when this type of thing happened, it was usually a result of alcohol. Not today. More distracted drivers...and what's distracting them???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg View Post
    May 22, 2012

For unknown reasons, Shipes veered into the bicycle lane...

Those words are FAR too common these days. It used to be when this type of thing happened, it was usually a result of alcohol. Not today. More distracted drivers...and what's distracting them???
    I've decided that when driving, every time I see somebody "looking down observing their junk" I'm going to lay on my horn until they look up. Then I'm going to give them one of my famous finger waggles.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg View Post

[/B]Those words are FAR too common these days. It used to be when this type of thing happened, it was usually a result of alcohol. Not today. More distracted drivers...and what's distracting them???
    Trying to open their beer .

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Trying to open their beer .
    not funny.

Registered Bike Offender
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    I've decided that when driving, every time I see somebody "looking down observing their junk" I'm going to lay on my horn until they look up. Then I'm going to give them one of my famous finger waggles.
    hey sometimes after a tough ride you gotta make sure it's still there
    "Grab life by the bars"

parenting for gnarness
    seems to me people barely pay attention to horns anymore. that said, Gangi of all people pointed out to me that a 'no no' finger is actually more effective than the middle finger.

mtbr member
    seems to me people barely pay attention to horns anymore. that said, Gangi of all people pointed out to me that a 'no no' finger is actually more effective than the middle finger.
    I do the no-no finger all the time. Autumn told me one day it's going to get me shot. I think the last time I flipped somebody off was in HS.

parenting for gnarness
    I do the no-no finger all the time. Autumn told me one day it's going to get me shot. I think the last time I flipped somebody off was in HS.
    i dont think so, i mean, its a bit confrontational but certainly not as in-your-face. The last time i flipped someone off was about 3 weeks ago in the elementary school parking lot, when a guy was going the wrong way around a 1 way circle head on into me. The parking lot monitor then proceeded to tell me how inappropriate my actions were, guess kids can get run over but they can never see The Finger.

mtbr member
    i dont think so, i mean, its a bit confrontational but certainly not as in-your-face. The last time i flipped someone off was about 3 weeks ago in the elementary school parking lot, when a guy was going the wrong way around a 1 way circle head on into me. The parking lot monitor then proceeded to tell me how inappropriate my actions were, guess kids can get run over but they can never see The Finger.
    I think kids need to know how to offend others and handle confrontation. You sir, are a real american. Like Hulk Hogan level real american. Keep fighting the good fight

Registered Bike Offender
    I usually give people the thumbs up and yell "you're cool" or something else that makes absolutely no sense just to confuse them.
    "Grab life by the bars"

Members who have read this thread: 0