Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Revenge of the Flagstaff Enduro less than one month out!

4K views 51 replies 14 participants last post by  rynomx785 
#1 ·
Hey MTBRers-

The Arizona Snowbowl Revenge of the Flagstaff Enduro is less than a month away, September 22 and 23.

We are wanting to fill all 200 spots. Registration is good so far, but we'll need more folks to get to 200.

This year we are offering 8 stages, and more descent than last year.

Registration is $150 and includes:

*A rad baseball style t-shirt (must be entered by September 2nd)
*5 Raffle tickets to win a $1000 Specialized Spending Spree at Absolute Bikes
*Two catered meals by Fratelli Pizza and Bigfoot BBQ
*Pro Purse sponsored by Arizona Snowbowl $500/$200/$100 Men's and Women's
*Product prizes three deep in all categories with 5 or more racers
*Shuttle bus
*All net proceeds go to the Flagstaff Family Food Center and the Fort Tuthill Bike Park

Come on up to Flagstaff a get one more shred in before it gets too cold!

Go to http://www.flagstaffenduro.com for more info and to register!

See less See more
#2 ·
I did this event last year and it was a blast. Best Enduro in the state in my opinion. Scheduling issues prevents me from doing it this year, but if there is one Enduro you plan to do this is it. Some faster/smoothish trails and some good chunky stuff too. Hours of Stage time vs just minutes. You will get tired on some of the DH runs so get your legs prepped for 20+ minute DH runs withe dropper down.

DO IT!

#3 ·
Probably not a great choice for a first foray into races, but it's kinda hard to tell since the website gives zero info on the course or how the race even works.

"Courses will be published on September 12, 2018."

Not gonna shuffle work schedules, fork out $150, and submit myself to a slogfest without at least knowing trail info. =)

Edit: Missed this page on my previous clickfest:
https://www.absolutebikes.net/flagstaff-enduro/course-descriptions/#

Still pretty vague, but at least it's some sorta ballpark I guess.

Hmm...

#4 ·
Enduro course tradtionally are not published. However last year it was the following

Day 1
Start at Snowbowl Parking Lot
Stage 1 - Snow bowl 'Nature loop" Down to Arizona Trail and Az trail to snow bowl road.
Distance 6 miles 1,500 DH took me 27 mintues. - Super super fun.
Stage 2 - Upper moto = 1.3 miles 500 ft DH - 10 min of super chunky tech fest
Stage 3 - Lower moto = 1 mile 400 ft DH - 7 min or so. an XC DH, but fast and flower
transitions in between with shuttle back to Snow bowl to get your car

Day 2
Pedal up to top Elden from Fort Valley
Stage 1 - Sunset from TV towers down through catwalk and hobbit forest to little bear Jct - 1.5 miles and about 10 min for me
Stage 2 - Little bear from top to bottom 3.5 miles and 850 ft
Stave 3 - Schultz from top to turn off to Fort Valley

I assume some of these stages will remain, but they will add 1 more each day. Not sure what will be added or removed, but it gives you and idea.

Like all enduro races you race against the clock starting at 1 min to 30 second intervals. Day 2 start order was defined by day 1 times for stage 4 and 5. Stage 6 had transit in between and was self select. Same for stage 2 on day 2, Stage 3 was close to stage 2 end so really the same order.

#6 ·
Not posting the trail info is par the norm. But it's not that complicated. Snowbowl is a major sponsor and the race will start there. After that, the course will likely be similar to last year with two additional stages. http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/flagstaff-enduro-1055256.html

There's really not that many options for system trails that work logistically for an enduro.

#8 ·
How many people are currently signed up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everybody always wants to know that, and they won't sign up if the number is low, even a month out. I am going to answer it, even if it can be self-defeating.

There are 53 people signed up right now, plus two sponsors/comped entries not included, so 55. This is ahead of last year when we wound up with 90 total.

If you don't sign up because you don't think that's enough people, then the number will be even lower day-of than if you had signed up, (this times the number of people who don't sign up because of low early entry numbers.)

I am gonna toot my own horn a little and say this is a great race. I got zero complaints and 90 happy riders last year. I'd like to have 200 happy riders this year. I have been promoting and helping to put on mountain bike, (and other cycling), events for 20 years, and I think we do a great job. I promise you'll love the courses and the vibe of the whole event.

Proceeds this year are going to help finish up the Fort Tuthill Bike Park. After this, if the race is worthwhile for me to continue to put on, proceeds will go to trail maintenance and construction in Flagstaff, and we have some great stuff in the pipe on that front.

PLEASE COME OUT AND SUPPORT THE SCENE SO THE SCENE CAN SUPPORT YOU!

#11 ·
Flag is really the ideal place for an Enduro. So any chance you get to do an Enduro in flag should be "MUST ATTEND" if you are into the Enduro thing. I am mostly an XC guy and decided to dabble in Enduro and it was fun. I brought a Santa Cruz 5010 with 130 F /125 rear travel 68 deg HA and dropper post. Pretty close to a perfect bike for this, but I saw bikes from HT (not really the best choice) to 6" Enduro bikes. Some stages will favor pedaling and turning. Others will favor getting through chunk. All favor skill and fitness combined. Just like an enduro should. No gaps or big jumps last year. Not sure what might be in store for 2018 year. If you are solid technical rider it is worth shot. Worst case is you near the end of the group and if you start later in the order passing should not be too bad. I got passed a few times and passed others at times. Most were really good since if you catch your "minute" man you are clearly faster and if you get caught you are slower so most are happy to complete the passing.

And if you think 150 is expensive consider it is two days with food and some swag. Not really that bad. considering. What $75 per day?

#19 ·
A formal version of Beerduro. Remember Beerduro was modeled after Enduro races, but with little formality. So if have done a Beerduro it works much the same, but is official. There no beer chug though. ;) That is for after the day back at camp with your buddies.

#22 ·
Man, I’m booked with three other events that weekend. I’m super bummed because I had such a blast at the Super D Anthony and the crew put on back in May. Have fun everybody. And if you’re on the fence about signing up, get to it!!!

#25 ·
Thanks for reminding your corner marshals to advise other users that the routes/trails you're using are not "closed" during the race. I encountered a couple of apparently confused volunteer stewards tending to key intersections during last year's event that were rather insistent that I was not permitted to ride recreationally on course segments during the race.

#32 ·
So what's everyone's thoughts?

Day 1:
AZT from Snowbowl
West Secret
Weatherford
Lower Moto

Day 2:
Upper Sunset
Upper Brookbank, Weenies Walk, Little Gnarly
Lower Sunset
Schultz

I'm happy Upper Moto was removed, but I'm surprised Little Bear didn't make the cut. I've never ridden Weatherford, but I imagine it's similar to Secret.

Should be a couple fun days!

#43 ·
Guess I just had to look a little harder:

Official Feedzones Day 1:

Snowbowl Road and the Arizona Trail, at the beginning of Transfer 1. (Downhill side of the road)

End of Stage 2 at bottom of West Secret Trail

Day 2:

Feedzone 1 is at the top of Elden LO Road climb, just before the beginning of Stage 1

Feedzone 2 is at Sunset Trail Head

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.