Return of the _dragon- Mtbr.com
    No Clue Crew

Return of the _dragon

Jay, aka _dragon, is finally recovered enough from his fractured shoulder and the resulting surgery to ride again so for his first ride started at the Dreamy Draw parking lot and took Trail 100 west. We were heading towards Disneyland and were meeting Drew and his crew of clowns there as they left from the Shaw Butte trailhead.

I always forget what a BEAR the Widowmaker is. Tough climb. Actually, we did a few tough little climbs so the video is rather long. That whole section has a bunch of short but technical climbs that are fun to ride and power through.

We did a little sessioning on that fun little spot just off T100 and south of Disneyland. We oughta give it a name so we can refer to it easier We played there for a little bit then headed back around T100 and then retraced our trail back to Dreamy Draw.

Really nice day out and we all had a great time. Considering how long Jay has been off a bike and how is arm isn't close to 100% I'd say he rode very well. Minus walking a couple tough climbs his performance gave no indication he'd been off a bike so long.

from Michael Stevens on Vimeo.

2011-10-16 Trail 100

skilldest©

geeze mike that was awefully nice...

...BUT...

BUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRP
    maxi pad
    purple gloves
    who needs bells when you have some extra derailleur hangers

Good to be back out there. Good group as always. Peddling is still hard work but humor helps it all feel better!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Return of the _dragon-pmp_mike_barry.jpg  

Return of the _dragon-pmp_drew.jpg  

"No Clue Crew"
    Nice work Mike. I think I look great in the video

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9 View Post
    Nice work Mike. I think I look great in the video

...that and only the kewlest people wear gloves like yours.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo View Post
    LOL. I'll take that

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Matching shorts? Really? Did you guys call each other ahead of time.......

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    7:42 we've always called the Rusty Pole.. not to be confused with Rusty Trombone thats usually discussed when Drew is around

Down the techy section to the left we call it the T-Drop

The west of there at 7:52 where that notch is that you have the vid of you in your typical glory we call the Shale Hill. BTW Drews line is probably the SMOOTHEST down that.. I tried the left line on my 4" bike and it was white knuckle. My old reign x was close your eyes and get off the brakes butter smooth

Not the accepted names but thats how we describe them within our small group.

mtbr member
    Mike, seriously, you need to fix that seatpost
    "Don't feel bad. A lot of people have no talent"

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo View Post
    But does his gloves match his knee pads? That's when you know you are hipster cool!

Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    Godammit... I forgot about that. I was hoping no one would notice DAMN YOU CHAINLOVE!

Quote Originally Posted by SHNIPE View Post
    BTW Drews line is probably the SMOOTHEST down that.. I tried the left line on my 4" bike and it was white knuckle. My old reign x was close your eyes and get off the brakes butter smooth
    A couple months ago Drew and I were out there and he told me about his right line. So the next time I was out there I scoped the right line and ran it. Didn't know he meant right as looking up at it not left as you ride down it. So, I told him about the line he took the second time. When I did it I dropped off the little ledge about 3' earlier from where he rolled off. I wanna say there was a shrub or something there preventing me from doing exactly what he did which was very smooth. The line he showed me on the left, as you ride it, is a fun one. It only took me two tries to run it without wrecking The first time I bounced myself outta the saddle after I cleared the camera...

Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz View Post
    Mike, seriously, you need to fix that seatpost
    Gotta get some wheels first. Broke a spoke on this ride. After tacoing the rear wheel a few months ago DNA warned me that in order to get it as straight as they could it would be pushing the limits of the wheel & spokes and spokes may start to break. Surprised it took this long...

"No Clue Crew"
    Good to see you back Dragon, I was going to ride that morning but Drew kept sending me morning wood pictures and I couldn't stop laughing long enough to get ready.

mtbr member
    The spot at 7:52 is the toughest desent (sp?) west of the DD lot IMO. Couldn't clean it on the old bike, but tons of fun on the new one!
    I think the last big climb heading east back to the DD lot is WAY harder than the widowmaker too. I always stall out on the lefthand switchback.
    Great video, and I'm envious of whoever cleared the 't- junction' by the rusty pole. I've failed that little climb so many times, I've given up on it.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmelin View Post
    The spot at 7:52 is the toughest descent (corrected) west of the DD lot IMO.
    It'd be between that spot and Disneyland itself. Both pack some good technical challenges in them. I think I'd give the edge to "Shale Hill" but only slightly.

I think the last big climb heading east back to the DD lot is WAY harder than the widowmaker too. I always stall out on the lefthand switchback.
    I don't know about way harder but it's hard. And surprisingly long. I stalled at that same point myself. I've only done it a couple times and I think I've taken a break right there every time. And the last little climb right after that turn is tough. It couldn't be more than 30 yards but it's tough.

Great video, and I'm envious of whoever cleared the 't- junction' by the rusty pole. I've failed that little climb so many times, I've given up on it.
    Another mean spot. I've only done it twice. The first time I cleaned it. This time I wasn't paying attention and dropped in from the other side in my second lowest gear so when it came time to start pedaling I was spinning so fast and not doing anything it completely threw me outta any rhythm I might have had going for me. Don't give up on it, Anthony. You've got the legs. I remember that first time we rode from 7th St I was thinking to myself, "If this guy is typical of how strong everyone else rides I'd better rethink how I look at myself as a climber."

Plus, if Drew can do it a monkey with a typewriter on a bicycle can do it.

skilldest©
    For me, coming down from the other side with some speed helps but spinning in a small gear and then loosing momentum right at a spot where with a tiny technical spot about 1/2 way up is where I had to stop.

Saw a rattler that day too. It was almost reddish in color. Saw from a distance so it may have been a light tan. Way different then any I have seen before.

mtbr member
    The spot at 7:52 is the toughest desent (sp?) west of the DD lot IMO. Couldn't clean it on the old bike, but tons of fun on the new one!
    Try taking the trail just south of this. As you head north an when you get to the bottom of that steepish climb to the rusty poll, look to your left, and take that trail. That's even harder IMO.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Must be time for another Pass Mt. ride!
    Because, one is never enough.

skilldest©
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BeerJoe View Post
    Must be time for another Pass Mt. ride!
    Heck yea! Maybe reverse next time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Try taking the trail just south of this. As you head north an when you get to the bottom of that steepish climb to the rusty poll, look to your left, and take that trail. That's even harder IMO.
    I'm not sure where you'r talking about
    I have some extra time on my hands so I made this 2nd grade map:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Return of the _dragon-untitled.jpg  

mtbr member
    Reading his post again, I think Casual Observer is talking about the same spot I am, he just miss-read my fist post. What SHNIPE calls shale hill at 7:52 in the video. There are 2 ways to get down shale hill, a cheater to the left which is tough because of loose rock and a sharp right hand turn, or through the little gorge with is tougher because of bigger drops.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    YES we called each other!! Thats what TEAMS do! We ARE a riding TEAM

7:42 we've always called the Rusty Pole.. not to be confused with Rusty Trombone thats usually discussed when Drew is around
    Dont ask, dont tell

Quote Originally Posted by Cenobite39 View Post
    Good to see you back Dragon, I was going to ride that morning but Drew kept sending me morning wood pictures and I couldn't stop laughing long enough to get ready.
    NOTE: Due to size it was multiple pictures!!!

You guys are SICK!!!!

NOT THAT, My "Morning Wood" Shoes!!!!

Reading his post again, I think Casual Observer is talking about the same spot I am, he just miss-read my fist post. What SHNIPE calls shale hill at 7:52 in the video. There are 2 ways to get down shale hill, a cheater to the left which is tough because of loose rock and a sharp right hand turn, or through the little gorge with is tougher because of bigger drops.
    I counted at least 4-5 different lines variations on this one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9
    I counted at least 4-5 different lines variations on this one.
    I believe that there are that many, I just close my eyes and hang on! The cheater that I'm talking about that is to the left around the paloverde tree with a sharp right turn. I tried to make another map but no such luck. Here's just an ariel pic
    shale hill - Google Maps

mtbr member
    I believe that there are that many, I just close my eyes and hang on! The cheater that I'm talking about that is to the left around the paloverde tree with a sharp right turn. I tried to make another map but no such luck. Here's just an ariel pic
    shale hill - Google Maps
    I could be wrong, but I think the place they are riding at 7:52 is the section in the rectangle here (which I've always referred to as Widowmaker). The trail I was talking about I believe is the one in the circle (I've also referred to this as Widowmaker). Possibly Shale Hill?

To get there, at 7:05 in the video, take a left instead of climbing that hill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Return of the _dragon-pmp.jpg  

mtbr member

My head is spinning...

Ahhhh.... I thought all the stuff at 7:52 and later was in the circle (circle IS the shale hill). The clip at 7:42 was the rectangle.(rusty pole).
    Widowmaker is off of dales map of the PMP and more east. I'm not sure anyone can climb the rectangle area all the way form the bottom.
    We agree that shale hill is to the left at 7:05

All I know for sure is that I'm sick, and it's causing my head to start hurting!

Big0mike, please, for the love of G-d! please clear the air!!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member

mtbr member
    You're 100%. I didn't see that EveryTrail map until just now. It looks like then climbed up that hill at 7:07, and then turned around to the area I was referring to. I just assumed that when they climbed that hill, they would just go down the trail in the rectangle.

skilldest©
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobite39 View Post
    Thanks for sending this to me as proof. I can't believe it. One crazy guy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Return of the _dragon-drewcranksms.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I could be wrong, but I think the place they are riding at 7:52 is the section in the rectangle here (which I've always referred to as Widowmaker). The trail I was talking about I believe is the one in the circle (I've also referred to this as Widowmaker). Possibly Shale Hill?

To get there, at 7:05 in the video, take a left instead of climbing that hill.
    Thats the section we call the T DROP. Like the line Drew showed on the SHALE HILL the high line is the easier line. Had a guy BLAST by us once going up the hill to the rusty tromb.. err pole and then fly down the T DROP on a green single speed with his only parting wisdom being "You just gotta hit it" as he flew by! Was pretty intense to watch how well he handled that section.

The climb to the north across the top of the T Drop is pretty steep. its on my list to be cleaned!

Eroding into the trail
    So, I have noticed that you have a new avatar; does this indicate a personality split? Or maybe that you are twice what you used to be?!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyBones View Post
    So, I have noticed that you have a new avatar; does this indicate a personality split? Or maybe that you are twice what you used to be?!!!
    No, and no. Stay on topic.

No Clue Crew
    Yes, I did climb that hill with the intentions of running Disneyland (Tdrop). When I got to the top I stopped to regroup and the second I stopped I heard Drew yelling from the north side "did you get the pictures of my crank this morning?" So, we waited for his three to make the trip from their side to ours, took a break, and then decided we'd play around on Shale Hill so we never did make it down Disneyland.

Quote Originally Posted by _dragon View Post
    Heck yea! Maybe reverse next time.
    What, you afraid you'd get hurt going clockwise? Again?

Had a guy BLAST by us once going up the hill to the rusty tromb.. err pole and then fly down the T DROP on a green single speed with his only parting wisdom being "You just gotta hit it" as he flew by! Was pretty intense to watch how well he handled that section.
    In all honesty the hardest part about Disneyland is the first 30 yards or so. You're kind a in a chute that's steep and loose so it feels like your just dragging your locked rear tire down it hoping to stay upright. Once you get past that to the rocks it's cake.

That seems awfully slow now that I'm seeing it again. Gotta update my videos...

Here's some onboard of my first trip down Shale Hill sight unseen. Just ran it...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    easier if you just get off the brakes all together.. lean back.. hold on!!!

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by _dragon View Post
    Thanks for sending this to me as proof. I can't believe it. One crazy guy!
    There is more to the story!

Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Yes, I did climb that hill with the intentions of running Disneyland (Tdrop). When I got to the top I stopped to regroup and the second I stopped I heard Drew yelling from the north side "did you get the pictures of my crank this morning?"
    And you yelled back, "I want to see it in person!"

No Clue Crew
    easier if you just get off the brakes all together.. lean back.. hold on!!!
    You name the time and I'll be there to strap my GoPro on you as you ride that section with no brakes

mtbr member
    You name the time and I'll be there to strap my GoPro on you as you ride that section with no brakes
    I'd like to be there when this goes down.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    Dammit, changing avatars and now username? Should be forbidden. How the hell are we supposed to know who we are talking to?

mtbr member
    Haha.
    These will stick around for a while...
    If it helps, my "signature" hasn't changed since I joined

mtbr member
    Somebody please make sure that Mike's brakes are actually disabled. And please dear god, make sure the camera is running and the microphone is working!!!!!!!!!!

No Clue Crew
    Somebody please make sure that Mike's brakes are actually disabled. And please dear god, make sure the camera is running and the microphone is working!!!!!!!!!!
    No me. I wouldn't run ANY section of that trail without brakes. Just offering for SHNIPE since it was his suggestion

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Dont tempt D...hell actually do it without brakes...

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by AZG23 View Post
    Dont tempt D...hell actually do it without brakes...
    I don't think he will

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    hahah I have a 50 mile ride over teh 29th and 30th... hows the next weekend sound the runoff section after the main obstacle (near the paloverde) is pretty fast do we mark out a brake line say 50ft after the section?

Do i get to ride your Pitch pro Mike or the Guapo Drew or is this something I have to prove on my 4" bike :P Im in!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Oh and Mike... Youre not getting ANYWHERE near me with your strap on... No matter how peculiar it sounds!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Snap...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Lets go tomorrow ill do it. Have you ridden the trail if you take the trail to the right on Disney land and go up to the north and drop down the other side of the saddle past the water tank? Its super steep, tight, chunky, and fast. There are alot of trails up there I know of if you want to ride them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Erbbbb View Post
    Lets go tomorrow ill do it. Have you ridden the trail if you take the trail to the right on Disney land and go up to the north and drop down the other side of the saddle past the water tank? Its super steep, tight, chunky, and fast. There are alot of trails up there I know of if you want to ride them.
    Ive thought about that trail that goes up over near the tank. I have hiked it but we havent ridden it. ill have to put it on the list!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah I have never seen anyone else ride it but im sure people have.

No Clue Crew
    hahah I have a 50 mile ride over teh 29th and 30th... hows the next weekend sound the runoff section after the main obstacle (near the paloverde) is pretty fast do we mark out a brake line say 50ft after the section?
    Without brakes I would be completely out of control before I even got to the left to turn leading into Disneyland (seconds 20 - 32 in the video). Without brakes I don't think ANYONE could make the first corner after starting Disneyland (32 - 37). The turn at 39 seconds at full speed? Never happen. Hell, if you make it to the Palo Verde without brakes you've earned them as soon as you pass that rocky section.

Do i get to ride your Pitch pro Mike or the Guapo Drew or is this something I have to prove on my 4" bike :P Im in!
    Considering if you do ride it without brakes you and your bike will be off the side of the mountain you shall not be riding mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Erbbbb View Post
    I've heard about the water tank but never saw it so I don't know what you are talking about...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Without brakes I would be completely out of control before I even got to the left to turn leading into Disneyland (seconds 20 - 32 in the video). Without brakes I don't think ANYONE could make the first corner after starting Disneyland (32 - 37). The turn at 39 seconds at full speed? Never happen. Hell, if you make it to the Palo Verde without brakes you've earned them as soon as you pass that rocky section.

Considering if you do ride it without brakes you and your bike will be off the side of the mountain you shall not be riding mine.

I've heard about the water tank but never saw it so I don't know what you are talking about...

Bro... what turn at 37... youre supposed to take the HIGH line OVER the rocks on the right Challenge accepted

ETA: im PRETTY sure i remember a line around the right of that big rock you make the right hand around just before the paloverde but if not.. ive already opened my mouth huh? LOL Im not scared

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    uh oh....I knew this was coming He barely uses brakes anyway lol...

And its gonna be the long runout that gets super fast....no way to take that turn at the bottom without shredding off some speed