Resurrection- Mtbr.com

Thread: Resurrection

Scott in Tucson

Resurrection

Last month's Samaniego death ride (see: Five reasons why Tucson sucks...) yielded a promising piece of information: the top of CDO has been worked/logged/groomed.

I've had that tiny glimpse of blissfully groomed trail in my mind ever since. It haunted me, and there was only one way to exorcise it.

Ride it.

The drop begins....

The Canyon of Gold was arguably the most beautiful and challenging trail on Mt. Lemmon. But the fires were not kind to it. That's an understatement, really.

The FS (or perhaps ATA) has done a tremendous job of resurrecting CDO. Some sections approached its former glory - shaded, quiet, and fantastic riding all around.

Sadly, the newly constructed trail ends a few miles down, and it's back to trail sniffin' and Catalina rough and tumble riding. So, it's only half resurrected.

Nate and Louis were hitting some grade A suffering coming up the backside of the 'gap.

Louis knows the way.... trust in Louis....

Mucho singletrack and a few side moves to get us from the Gap to the High 50, then out.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

Quote Originally Posted by Krein

Nate and Louis were hitting some grade A suffering coming up the backside of the 'gap.

And you, what, took the gondola?

That be some sweet lookin' stuff. Is the lower bushwacking such that, monkey butt aside, carhartts are the bike wear of choice?! You Southern Arizonans just ain't right....

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    And you, what, took the gondola?
    Si. The "Hank" gondola to the top of the mountain.

At ~34 lbs my Behemoth feels like a Behemoth to me - but these guys are rolling real DH beasts. And Louis only has a middle ring - ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    That be some sweet lookin' stuff. Is the lower bushwacking such that, monkey butt aside, carhartts are the bike wear of choice?! You Southern Arizonans just ain't right....
    Thick skin required, yup.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

caninus xerophilous

It's back!

My favorite trail, that is. It's got pretty much every type of MTB riding there is and just about every type of terrain and trail.

I loved that the descent and the first part of the CDO, which is very flowy, had been brushed back, and real good at that. However the bits of bushwhacking and portaging and route finding were very welcomed as an added challenge to that trail and a fabulous day of riding.

The huanting beauty of the CDO is back, well, recovering quite well is more like it. Nature's resiliance. If you love an adventure ride and nature, this trail is way worthy.

Starting to feel the carnage....oh the sweet pain and memory of the thunder run on both sides of the the Gap.

Yes the soul stealing Krein took the Gondola up, but after a full day of combat riding, Scott decided to power on back into Tucson not even stopping to say goodbye. The boy is sick.

Heck of a ride yesterday with Scott and Nate. Scott, great pics and write up as usual.

Louis

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDog

However the bits of bushwhacking and portaging and route finding were very welcomed as an added challenge to that trail and a fabulous day of riding.

What. You didn't get enough of that on Wed? You foaming at the mouth again? I think
    you're rabid. Has your vet checked you for rabies lately?

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member
    DAM Louis I missed it again, someday I'll be there. NICE.
    SHITBIRD

Scott in Tucson
    My favorite trail, that is. It's got pretty much every type of MTB riding there is and just about every type of terrain and trail.

However the bits of bushwhacking and portaging and route finding were very welcomed as an added challenge to that trail and a fabulous day of riding.
    Well put and agreed. Though I won't cry too much if they push the trail through to Wild Cow Spring, because I know that nature is continually working against their efforts. I also know that there will always be route-finding challenge and portage crossings. All part of the adventure that is C.D.O...

Yes the soul stealing Krein took the Gondola up, but after a full day of combat riding, Scott decided to power on back into Tucson not even stopping to say goodbye. The boy is sick.
    Soul stealing..?

Yep, I was surprised when Nate wanted to head out towards the corral, so I just rolled with it, still thinking I'd head back for a ride. I was feeling too good to let the ride end, so I just kept rolling after saying goodbye to Nate. I've got to give him credit for keeping his good humor after having his arm twisted into CDO (versus Red Ridge). I think we owe him a Red Ridge ride or two...

Thanks again for the invite and shuttle arrangements.

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    What. You didn't get enough of that on Wed? You foaming at the mouth again? I think
    you're rabid. Has your vet checked you for rabies lately?

As if he could ever get "enough" ? Don't you understand addiction???

Sounds like Louis gave you a proper tour of the dark side of the fifty. Sorry I missed the chance to ride with y'all.

caninus xerophilous

Yes, Soul Stealing but insperational.

Soul stealing..?
    On the climb up, when you breezed past me while I was plodding along , happy in my own world, it robbed me of soul, I could no longer muster the desire to keep burning my muscles and lungs. But I am inspired to improve my climbing prowess.

Anyhow, lotsa fun. I think Red Ridge would have had a lot of deadfall and underbrush as well. I to look forward to a completed brushing of the CDO trail, but, I am glad I got to experience the way we did on our last two CDO runs.

Louis

caninus xerophilous

Sweet Toxic Love

Don't you understand addiction???
    No doubt the Evil ones from Austin are also afflicted with it.

And now after being schooled in climbing by Krein and EvilP I have a new high to aim for, a new drug to try.

Louis

Occidental Tourist
    That is some good riding and some great photos
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Members who have read this thread: 0