mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Renegade Sheriff wants YOUR bike at McDowell Park.

You would think it was a scene out the recent bad Dukes of Hazard flick. 8 of us were preparing for a late afternoon ride at McDowell Park Competitive loops when a Sheriffs Deputy blew into the parking lot Dukes of Hazard style stopping his vehicle just feet from our vehicles. After the dust cloud cleared he jumped out of his truck as if he were busting some of Americas Most Wanted. He shouted with authority, you all better have passes.. We all replied yes and offered to show our pass. He had no interest in actually seeing the pass and went on in a confrontational manner to ask what our intention was for being in the park. I thought it was clear by our helmets and bikes that our intention was to ride. Hummm that was a tough one?

He asked why we had lights and stated that it was a Class Three Misdemeanor to be on the trail after sunset and that he was strictly enforcing the parameters of "dust to dawn" that being whatever the news paper reports as being the time of sunset. He went on to state in a somewhat threatening tone that he would be waiting for those riders who violated this parameter and would impound their bike for doing so. Each and every bike he said I will take and you will be walking home. Hummm we drove..

Personally Im so glad that my tax dollars are going to these MTB Sting Operations at McDowell Park. Our group was beginning while it was light and brought lights as any prepared mountain biker would starting close to sunset. We were not breaking any laws but were treated like criminals and threatened of loosing our bikes.

So the moral of the story is. If your intentions are to ride any of the McDowell Park trails after dark think again. This Deputy is trying to make a name for himself and will issue you a ticket and try to take your bike. On the other hand if he continues to harass mountain bikers who are legally there and within the allowed time parameter as what happened with us, then be prepared to send a formal complaint to the Sheriffs Department certified. We cant have this out of control authority freak behaving in this manner. Its bad for mountain bikers and even worse for the park. His behavior hardly promotes return visits.
    Last edited by Phantom Mushroom; 07-14-2005 at 10:09 AM.

Occidental Tourist
    Another of Joe's clown possee no doubt.....
    Did you get his name and badge number?
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    Another of Joe's clown possee no doubt.....
    Did you get his name and badge number?
    We were in such disbelief that I don't think anyone did. I dont think he was possee he had a gun and drove a Sheriff's SUV.

pedaller

Clown Posse

The sheriff was definitely having a bad hair day - obviously - but me thinks that you were probably thinking that if the trail was flowing and the heat was subsiding, that you might just flick on the lights and "keep cruising". I know the thought would have crossed my mind - prior to seeing Sheriff Joe.

My guess is that there have been people "riding after dark" since that IS when it's "cooler" - ha!

"Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Cookin' in AZ
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Mushroom
    We were in such disbelief that I don't think anyone did. I dont think he was possee he had a gun and drove a Sheriff's SUV.
    But did he have big shoes and a red wig?
    This space intentionally left blank

bottom feeder

... and if we just ...

Are tax dollars hard at work in maricopa county. Funny how law abiding citizens actually pay to be treated like crap from these yahoo's!

I had a similar situation happen to me close to 7 yrs. ago. The threats and intimidation. I work in public safety as a firefighter and usually deal with these guys on the freeways alot, so they don't really intimidate me much. When he saw that that was not working he got real personal and started making statements about my mother and my family. For whatever reason he saw it o.k. to go in that direction I will never know? But, anyways I got his name and badge number and went on to file a formal complaint in person at there office. That being said, the end all result was his suspension for 3 months, 1 month with no pay! These guys superiors take these officers harassing very seriously. It will work if you just put time into getting it done the right way.
    "Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance."

Occidental Tourist
    Too bad but not like they would take a complaint seriously
    I should have clarified = Clown Possee = any one of joe's idiots
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogma
    Are tax dollars hard at work in maricopa county. Funny how law abiding citizens actually pay to be treated like crap from these yahoo's!

I had a similar situation happen to me close to 7 yrs. ago. The threats and intimidation. I work in public safety as a firefighter and usually deal with these guys on the freeways alot, so they don't really intimidate me much. When he saw that that was not working he got real personal and started making statements about my mother and my family. For whatever reason he saw it o.k. to go in that direction I will never know? But, anyways I got his name and badge number and went on to file a formal complaint in person at there office. That being said, the end all result was his suspension for 3 months, 1 month with no pay! These guys superiors take these officers harassing very seriously. It will work if you just put time into getting it done the right way.
    That is some really good advice and I plan to get statements from the 8 who were out there with me. Intimidation was the tactic he used and it didn't work just pissed us off.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Too bad but not like they would take a complaint seriously
    I should have clarified = Clown Possee = any one of joe's idiots
    I'm going to write a formal complaint anyway. It may fall on deaf ears but maybe not. Seriously... when he said that he would be stakeing out all the trailheads I just thought... could this be for real? I have a friend who is a retired Deputy, I'm going to ask him what we should do. Can't just forget about it though. Unaddressed behavior will not change.

Occidental Tourist
    I'm going to write a formal complaint anyway. It may fall on deaf ears but maybe not. Seriously... when he said that he would be stakeing out all the trailheads I just thought... could this be for real? I have a friend who is a retired Deputy, I'm going to ask him what we should do. Can't just forget about it though. Unaddressed behavior will not change.
    Don't take my pessimism seriously - you should still formally complain
    I kinda have a knee jerk reaction to any mention of JA and his employees - sometimes waranted, sometimes not.

6'4"-6'9" with the afro

Saturday night!

Don't take my pessimism seriously - you should still formally complain
    I kinda have a knee jerk reaction to any mention of JA and his employees - sometimes waranted, sometimes not.
    Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane is gonna go nuts on Saturday at the Pemberton night ride. Bring the riot gear.
    Last edited by Fletch F. Fletch; 07-14-2005 at 03:14 PM. Reason: typo -- again

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch F. Fletch
    Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane is gonna go nuts on Saturday at the Pemberton night ride. Bring the riot gear.
    hahahahaha - now THAT is funny!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You should have told him your name, and informed him that Rand gave you authority to ride the park's trails after dark.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    You should have told him your name, and informed him that Rand gave you authority to ride the park's trails after dark.
    I don't have special privileges to ride after hours so that could get me into trouble. I did give him my name and asked that he call Rand only to confirm that we were not the criminals that he was proclaiming us to be... He's and idiot no doubt. I did confirm with Fountain Hills Sheriff Dept that he can not take our bikes. He in fact used to be a ranger who when the Sheriffs Dept took over the parks duties got absorbed into the department and became a deputy. Maybe it's a power trip.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jberg01
    But did he have big shoes and a red wig?
    I don't believe there was anything big about this guy. Possibly the reason for all the anger... Compensating...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    The sheriff was definitely having a bad hair day - obviously - but me thinks that you were probably thinking that if the trail was flowing and the heat was subsiding, that you might just flick on the lights and "keep cruising". I know the thought would have crossed my mind - prior to seeing Sheriff Joe.

My guess is that there have been people "riding after dark" since that IS when it's "cooler" - ha!

Our ride was posted to be at the park at 7:00PM and ride the loops. Only takes an hour but with a flat or crash could get us in at or just after sunset. So crusing would have been nice but that really wasn't the plan. Not for that ride anyway. Good thing is everyone was so freaked out that our lap times were 44-55 minutes.. Why can't I do that in a race?

mtbr member

MTBers 1, Officer 0

Deputy Dandy may well choose his future confrontations a bit more wisely next time. One particular member of our group stepped on his crank fairly hard. He left with a lot less wind in his sails. I personally think he's lucky we didn't feed him to the cholla- there was enough of us there. At least he will hopefully have some extra time from administrative leave w/o pay to reflect on his customer service skills.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Wow. A lot of strange anti-cop rhetoric on here. I'm sorry the original poster had a negative experience. I suspect the actual event wasn't QUITE so inflammatory. Couple of things: If your group was so butt-hurt, why didn't you get the officer's name and badge number? How did you check the officer's background if you didn't know his name? By the way, there is no such agency as the Fountain Hill's Sheriff's Dept. Fountain Hills and the surrounding areas are patrolled by MCSO.

You know that deputies are assigned a patrol area and responsibilities. He's probably not staking out the park of his own accord. Very likely, there have been complaints about folks not paying and being there after dark, which signs all around the park specifically warn against.

And to the last genius, cops are not customer service employees. I understand you appear to have a very high opinion of yourself and your standing in the community, but the police officers in the area are not at your beck and call. And I'd rethink the strategy of making specific physical threats against an officer. You may think you're safely hiding behind a keyboard, but you're not and threatening a sworn officer is serious business.

By the way, I'm not a cop or a Sheriff Joe employee. Personally, I think the guy's a knob, but that's neither here nor there.
    d

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant

By the way, I'm not a cop or a Sheriff Joe employee. Personally, I think the guy's a knob, but that's neither here nor there.
    d
    Am I the only one that read your post and went "Huh?"
    You attack the original poster and then throw this little caveat at the end?
    What exactly are you trying to say?

bottom feeder
    Wow. A lot of strange anti-cop rhetoric on here. I'm sorry the original poster had a negative experience. I suspect the actual event wasn't QUITE so inflammatory. Couple of things: If your group was so butt-hurt, why didn't you get the officer's name and badge number? How did you check the officer's background if you didn't know his name? By the way, there is no such agency as the Fountain Hill's Sheriff's Dept. Fountain Hills and the surrounding areas are patrolled by MCSO.

You know that deputies are assigned a patrol area and responsibilities. He's probably not staking out the park of his own accord. Very likely, there have been complaints about folks not paying and being there after dark, which signs all around the park specifically warn against.

And to the last genius, cops are not customer service employees. I understand you appear to have a very high opinion of yourself and your standing in the community, but the police officers in the area are not at your beck and call. And I'd rethink the strategy of making specific physical threats against an officer. You may think you're safely hiding behind a keyboard, but you're not and threatening a sworn officer is serious business.

d

Yes, cops are customer service oriented employees. They are civil servants of the communities they serve. If you have someone trying to break into your home and you call an officer to your house to check it out. Is that not customer service? Or like wise a complaint against a loud nieghbor perhaps? Once again....customer service. And yes these officers do need to mind there p's and q's. Not everyone is guilty of something law breaking. So what if they have alot of compliants against people riding after dark and not paying, that does not mean that everyone out there is doing that! And in Phantom mushrooms defense did you not read the part where he stated that the group was totally taken by surprise and failed to get a name and badge number? And also I think he realizes that there is no fountain hills sheriffs dept. I figured that is why he still refered to him as SHERIFF! They do have a sub station located in Fountain Hills so maybe you could refer to them as the fountain Hills Sheriffs Dept.? So what if there are sighns located around the park that state no riding after sunset! He should have waited until these guys were actually out after sunset to do anything about it. I agree they should not physically threaten a peace officer, but should go about filing a formal complaint the correct way. Non of this happened to you so who are you to cast any sort of judgement about there situation? Maybe you should read my signature below!

mtbr member
    d
    Unfortunately you were not there to witness the exchange. This guy blew in there wielding his authority like a club. The man had no people skills what so ever. Beck and call? We were merely in his path on a bad day. I made no imply of threat, merely wishful thinking. It was an attempt to interject a bit of humor. I apologize if you were offended.

mtbr member

d

Good day to you sir!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ouch, I am hot!

Officer of the Court

I am not a police officer, but I am an officer of the court. Virtually all of my experiences with law enforcement have been positive. They have a job to do and they generally go about it in a professional manner. However, not all are perfect. Indeed, I believe there are many innocent people in jail right now as a result of law enforcement corruption.

Nonetheless, all encompassing cop bashing should be left to water cooler conversations. Cop bashing is easy. Putting your life on the line to protect others is not. Lets all just chalk this up as a "good laugh" and move on with our lives. The fact that this incident has turned into a bash session of Blatant and our fellow mountain bikers is much more troubling than the Showdown at McDowell. Us bikers should be focusing their efforts on preserving trail access and global warming rather than attacking each other here.

Are cops customer service people? No. This term relates to consumerism.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Ouch, I am hot!
    That is some really good advice and I plan to get statements from the 8 who were out there with me. Intimidation was the tactic he used and it didn't work just pissed us off.

Thanks again.
    Phantom, you are free to file a complaint. It may accomplish something positive, maybe not. However, I have another suggestion. You have people skills. It seems that you already have some information on this guy. Why don't you try and talk to him and have a heart to heart. That may resolve everything and even result in a new friendship. Seriously. I don't have the skills for this, but you do. It may turn out to be a really good thing. Then again, he may arrest you on the spot and take your bike.

Given that you ride out there all the time, an attempt at peace and harmony is probably the better approach. If it turns out bad, you can always file a complaint. Feel the force and talk about your feelings to this guy.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I drop your name all over the place. They usually reply, "Take what you want, we don't wan't any trouble"

At Burger King, they usually throw in a Hersey Sundae Pie...

Did you at least 'moon' the sheriff?

I don't have special privileges to ride after hours so that could get me into trouble. I did give him my name and asked that he call Rand only to confirm that we were not the criminals that he was proclaiming us to be... He's and idiot no doubt. I did confirm with Fountain Hills Sheriff Dept that he can not take our bikes. He in fact used to be a ranger who when the Sheriffs Dept took over the parks duties got absorbed into the department and became a deputy. Maybe it's a power trip.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Am I the only one that read your post and went "Huh?"
    You attack the original poster and then throw this little caveat at the end?
    What exactly are you trying to say?
    Yuri: I thought I was being quite clear. I didn't want my defense of the police to be mistaken for anything other than what it is. I'm not an employee or a cheerleader of Joe Arpaio. Whether or not anyone is a fan of Arpaio should have no bearing on interaction with Sheriff's officers or cops in general. That's my point.

Rockhead: When you say: "I personally think he's lucky we didn't feed him to the cholla- there was enough of us there" most rational folks would view that as a threat. I know I do. If things did happen as reported, then you should have taken the proper steps to identify the officer and make a report on his conduct.

Dogma: No, you are incorrect, sir. Because someone is a state, county or city employee doesn't make them customer service representatives. But that doesn't make unprofessional behavior OK. By your logic, a cop could view someone skulking about your home, but shouldn't do anything until they've actually broken in and stolen something? If folks have made complaints about bikers breaking the posted rules of that area, the cops have a responsibility to enforce the rules. Period. Granted, it should be done in a professional fashion, but done nonetheless.

All: Argue all you wish. I haven't been disrespectful at all in this thread and I'd ask that you show the same courtesy.
    d

Cookin' in AZ
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    I believe there are many innocent people in jail right now as a result of law enforcement corruption.
    I thought the term was "Not Guilty" No one pleads "Innocent" Does this mean that our justice system doesn't work?

Ouch, I am hot!
    I thought the term was "Not Guilty" No one pleads "Innocent" Does this mean that our justice system doesn't work?
    It works. What is "justice" anyway?
    I AM JUST A JERK

sprocket
    All: Argue all you wish.

Arguing is taking someones point about something and responding with you own. Being right and backing it up with fact is usually the tactic employed by most. Having an idea or opinion about something is usually the best way to lose an argument.

mtbr member
    Rockhead: When you say: "I personally think he's lucky we didn't feed him to the cholla- there was enough of us there" most rational folks would view that as a threat. I know I do. If things did happen as reported, then you should have taken the proper steps to identify the officer and make a report on his conduct.

SO DRAG ME THROUGH THE CHOLLA!

Lighten up dude.

No known cure

peace officer

Quote Originally Posted by Dogma
    Yes, cops are customer service oriented employees. They are civil servants of the communities they serve. If you have someone trying to break into your home and you call an officer to your house to check it out. Is that not customer service? Or like wise a complaint against a loud nieghbor perhaps? Once again....customer service. And yes these officers do need to mind there p's and q's. Not everyone is guilty of something law breaking. So what if they have alot of compliants against people riding after dark and not paying, that does not mean that everyone out there is doing that! And in Phantom mushrooms defense did you not read the part where he stated that the group was totally taken by surprise and failed to get a name and badge number? And also I think he realizes that there is no fountain hills sheriffs dept. I figured that is why he still refered to him as SHERIFF! They do have a sub station located in Fountain Hills so maybe you could refer to them as the fountain Hills Sheriffs Dept.? So what if there are sighns located around the park that state no riding after sunset! He should have waited until these guys were actually out after sunset to do anything about it. I agree they should not physically threaten a peace officer, but should go about filing a formal complaint the correct way. Non of this happened to you so who are you to cast any sort of judgement about there situation? Maybe you should read my signature below!
    now there's an oxymoron

Beyond the stars

Um, ah how about this . . .

I don't know Blatant from Adam, but just from cruising/lurking these forums for several months, he seems pretty judgmental. Maybe he 'judged' the entire exchange by reading some internet posting and 'assumed' what was correct and what wasn't . . .

I would say that judging; persons, situations, and events based upon internet postings is Very disrespectful, not only to others, but to yourself

Cookin' in AZ
    May 2005
    It works. What is "justice" anyway?

Justice: the administration of law ; the establishment or determination of rights according to law or equity.

bottom feeder
    "I'm sorry all I heard was blah blah blah I'm a dirty tramp!"

Ouch, I am hot!
    Justice: the administration of law ; the establishment or determination of rights according to law or equity.
    A definition perhaps, but what is truly justice? Justice in one place does not equal justice in another.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by DJBiker
    I don't know Blatant from Adam, but just from cruising/lurking these forums for several months, he seems pretty judgmental. Maybe he 'judged' the entire exchange by reading some internet posting and 'assumed' what was correct and what wasn't . . .

I would say that judging; persons, situations, and events based upon internet postings is Very disrespectful, not only to others, but to yourself
    Skinny-tire is in Chicago right now.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    You guys are an insensitive bunch, insulting an officer of the law like that - do you hold the neighbor's dog responsible when he sh*ts on your lawn? No - it's what dogs do, they don't know any better.

If you look out your window one day and discover that your neighbor has replaced his dog with a pig, don't be surprised if you find pigsh*t in your yard.
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    I drop your name all over the place. They usually reply, "Take what you want, we don't wan't any trouble"

At Burger King, they usually throw in a Hersey Sundae Pie...

Did you at least 'moon' the sheriff?
    Didn't moon the Sheriff but did have a long discussion with the park director today. I believe it's safe to say this sort of thing will probably not happen again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Phantom, you are free to file a complaint. It may accomplish something positive, maybe not. However, I have another suggestion. You have people skills. It seems that you already have some information on this guy. Why don't you try and talk to him and have a heart to heart. That may resolve everything and even result in a new friendship. Seriously. I don't have the skills for this, but you do. It may turn out to be a really good thing. Then again, he may arrest you on the spot and take your bike.

Given that you ride out there all the time, an attempt at peace and harmony is probably the better approach. If it turns out bad, you can always file a complaint. Feel the force and talk about your feelings to this guy.
    That would always be my first approach when dealing with a situation like the one we were confronted with on Wednesday and believe me (I have 8 witnesses) when I say I really sincerely tried. This guy had a mission and all my communication skills, PR experience, conflict management studies or meadiation was not going to work. I was qualified to do nothing more than fuel the fire....

Ultimately I fell back on some seminar training I had which taught us to 1 identify the animal. 2 speak it's language... He was a lion, so I spoke lion.......
    Last edited by Phantom Mushroom; 07-15-2005 at 03:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    See you Saturday... troublemaker.

Didn't moon the Sheriff but did have a long discussion with the park director today. I believe it's safe to say this sort of thing will probably not happen again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

d
    First of all there is a Fountain Hills Sheriffs Department. Here is their number 602-876-1869 Their address as of next week since they are moving is 16705 East Avenue of the Fountain, Fountain Hills AZ 85268

With regard to hiding behind a keyboard. I'd love to meet you in person and will be at the Pemberton Night ride tomorrow evening. I'll be at a blue canopy parked next to a green Nissan truck. Ask for Kristi! as I'd love to discuss this issue in greater detail with you.

Third, It was as imflamatory as described and I'm sure ALL 10 people who were PRESENT will be there tomorrow evening if you'd like to dismiss their story to them in person as well.

Pull the stick out of your ass, The Deputy was out of line and nobody deserves to be treated that way by a law enforcement official. Professionalism is the EXPECTATION

One more thing my friend, with regard to needing his name.... Not needed considering I know his bosses name. Deputy David Gardner McDowell Park Trails Division.

Respecfully...
    Last edited by Phantom Mushroom; 07-15-2005 at 04:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader
    now there's an oxymoron
    Thanks Vader but Phantom Mushroom is a she...

sprocket
    Pull the stick out of your ass
    Respecfully...[/QUOTE]
    You tell him!

bottom feeder
    Yuri: I thought I was being quite clear. I didn't want my defense of the police to be mistaken for anything other than what it is. I'm not an employee or a cheerleader of Joe Arpaio. Whether or not anyone is a fan of Arpaio should have no bearing on interaction with Sheriff's officers or cops in general. That's my point.

Dogma: No, you are incorrect, sir. Because someone is a state, county or city employee doesn't make them customer service representatives. But that doesn't make unprofessional behavior OK. By your logic, a cop could view someone skulking about your home, but shouldn't do anything until they've actually broken in and stolen something? If folks have made complaints about bikers breaking the posted rules of that area, the cops have a responsibility to enforce the rules. Period. Granted, it should be done in a professional fashion, but done nonetheless.

All: Argue all you wish. I haven't been disrespectful at all in this thread and I'd ask that you show the same courtesy.
    d

Wow, thats funny Blatant considering I am a city employee. I have been a fire fighter with the city for 8 yrs. and a captain for the last 3. And we are always pushing better CUSTOMER SERVICE to our public. This term or word customer service is widely used at public safety meetings with the city council which police officers attend. And I would want to believe that an officer would treat a skulker snooping aroud my house differently than a group of people standing around a parking lot getting ready to ride their bikes.

I can't believe this thread has had so many replies!

A plethora of pinatas
    Wow! What a thread!

I was one of the 'criminals' out there riding at 7pm. Phantom is right on. This officer was WAY out of line. We did attempt many of times to kindly discuss the matter to no avail.

Nuff said, now let's all go out and ride! :-)

mtbr member
    Can't we all just smoke a bong??(rhymes with get along).