Registration open for Tour of the White Mountains- Mtbr.com
    XC Geek

Registration open for Tour of the White Mountains

http://www.nrmc.org/twm.htm

Has anyone done this race in the past, I've heard it's a fun race.
    I should be doing something more productive with my time!

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Steelhead
    http://www.nrmc.org/twm.htm

Has anyone done this race in the past, I've heard it's a fun race.
    It is IMO the best run and most fun mountain biking event in the state. Be in shape for it, because it will hurt you.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

freak of nature

great weekend

its a good time, for sure. beautiful location and top notch singletrack. it is not all that technical, but the zippy trails through the pines more than make up for it. a must do!

only 250 riders can register (at least as of 2003), so get registered soon.

punish yourself and register for the 66 miler. start line is at 7,000 ft plus elevation.

here are a few pics of mountain lions from surveys being done in Tucson Mtns and Rincon Mtns as recent as March 14th. Make sure you aren't the slowest rider in the group. ha-ha.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    may your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. may your mountains rise into and above the clouds.
    -edward abbey

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Cat nip?

Quote Originally Posted by hcooper
    its a good time, for sure. beautiful location and top notch singletrack. it is not all that technical, but the zippy trails through the pines more than make up for it. a must do!

only 250 riders can register (at least as of 2003), so get registered soon.

punish yourself and register for the 66 miler. start line is at 7,000 ft plus elevation.

here are a few pics of mountain lions from surveys being done in Tucson Mtns and Rincon Mtns as recent as March 14th. Make sure you aren't the slowest rider in the group. ha-ha.
    I think I'm going to start packin a pound of cat nip sealed into a plastic bag on my rides! If one of these big kittys is interested in me, I'll 'get 'im high' and get the hell outta dodge.

Fragile - must be Italian

66 or 52 miler

My brother-in-law rode the 66 mile track last year and didn't care for the last 14 miles. Is the course the same this year? The "map" link on the website is broken.

How is the 52 mile course?

I'm inclined to sign up for the 66 mile course unless the 52 mile course is MUCH more fun.

Thx...Doug

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    My brother-in-law rode the 66 mile track last year and didn't care for the last 14 miles. Is the course the same this year? The "map" link on the website is broken.

How is the 52 mile course?

I'm inclined to sign up for the 66 mile course unless the 52 mile course is MUCH more fun.

Thx...Doug
    The difference between the 52 and the 66 is night and day. The 52 is largely dirt roads; the 66 is almost entirely singletrack.

p.

Occidental Tourist

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    It is IMO the best run and most fun mountain biking event in the state. Be in shape for it, because it will hurt you.

p.
    Oh sure, you poopoo the Wor http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...87515#poststop but this is a great event.....

We did this one last year and it is a good time for sure but don't be fooled, there is a fair amount of road.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by crash test dummy
    Oh sure, you poopoo the Wor http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...87515#poststop but this is a great event.....

We did this one last year and it is a good time for sure but don't be fooled, there is a fair amount of road.
    Did you do the 66?

p.

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Did you do the 66?

p.
    No I did the 42. I thought the 66 was the 42 plus Los Burros? The 66 may be mostly single track but most of the other routes have a fair amount of road. I was just attemping some good natured ribbing
    Last edited by crash test dummy; 05-20-2004 at 08:06 AM.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Saucy Size
    Did you do the WOR?
    I've ridden that route, yes. Did you do the 66?

p.

freak of nature

wasn't that you i saw on the 35 er?

i could've sworn i saw CTD on the 35 mile road tour last year. looked like he was huffing and puffing all the way back to the beer cooler.

you ARE going to do the 66 miler aren't you? remember last year when you said, "the 66 was a piece of cake and you'd be a sally not to do it this year"?

the dic pic boys are riding high! we did cherry tank/50 year/deer camp last night. 14 miles in the dark. awesome riding, although i do have a few teeth missing from my big chain ring now. it was a kick ass evening, even with the mountain lions hiding behind every rock outcropping waiting to pounch. needless to say, i stayed close...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    may your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. may your mountains rise into and above the clouds.
    -edward abbey

Occidental Tourist

the pot and the kettle

i could've sworn i saw CTD on the 35 mile road tour last year. looked like he was huffing and puffing all the way back to the beer cooler.

you ARE going to do the 66 miler aren't you? remember last year when you said, "the 66 was a piece of cake and you'd be a sally not to do it this year"?

the dic pic boys are riding high! we did cherry tank/50 year/deer camp last night. 14 miles in the dark. awesome riding, although i do have a few teeth missing from my big chain ring now. it was a kick ass evening, even with the mountain lions hiding behind every rock outcropping waiting to pounch. needless to say, i stayed close...
    Gonna call me out huh? FYI it was the 42 ya dirty hippy. I said no such thing last year but I'm more than willing to show you how its done and to put yer stank ass behind me. So yer chainring matches your redneck grin now? Had a nice little night ride myself last night. Two lights crapped out and a close encounter with a rattler to keep the senses tuned...
    You should come up and ride on Sunday

Saucy Size
    No I did the 42. I thought the 66 was the 42 plus Los Burros? The 66 may be mostly single track but most of the other routes have a fair amount of road. I was just attemping some good natured ribbing
    Oh, for heaven's sake.

66 is the 42 + half of Burros (7miles) + Land of the Pioneers (12 miles) + some other bits that escape me right now.

Barbie says math is hard! 66-42 = 24 miles. Of those 24 miles, about 20 of them are...wait for it...singletrack. That "extra" bit is already about as much singletrack as you got at the entire WOR.

The biggest bit of road is at the very, very end, the escape route off Land of the Pioneers (or the top of Springs, if you've just done the 42) back to the finish line: 14 or so miles, IIRC. I also recall being very grateful the finish is on roads, because -- as one of the full-course sweep volunteers -- I spend a lot of time patching up the battered and bruised and broken who couldn't quite hack the previous 50-some miles of s*i*n*g*l*e*t*r*a*c*k*.

p.

freak of nature

Sunday eh?

Gonna call me out huh? FYI it was the 42 ya dirty hippy. I said no such thing last year but I'm more than willing to show you how its done and to put yer stank ass behind me. So yer chainring matches your redneck grin now? Had a nice little night ride myself last night. Two lights crapped out and a close encounter with a rattler to keep the senses tuned...
    You should come up and ride on Sunday

I could come up early sunday morning and ride with you in the land of concrete and reflective heat. i am working until midnight saturday and could take off after that.

Let's talk...
    -edward abbey

Drugstore Trailrider

I thought you said it was a night ride!

Nice pic, hcooper!

I recognize that view from Deer Camp, looking a bit south toward the Tucson Mountains. Sweet!. It feels really remote up there doesn't it?

Looks pretty bright for a night ride, and I am wondering if you got all that out of NiteRider, or Light & Motion?

I'm in Oro Valley and always looking to hook up with new riding pardners. CTD can vouch for the fact that while I may be old, I'm slow.

Shoot me a PM if you ever want extra company on a ride out in the Golder Ranch area.

John W.
    Body Armor--Don't Leave Home Without It!

freak of nature

Golder Ranch

you like that shot, eh?

light and motion lights sure do make it look like its daytime out. they even make tucson look like moab...

myself and one or two other folks do a night ride up there at least once a week, if not twice.

we usually get going around 6:30-7 and do about 12-14 miles.

i will certainly get in touch with you about some future rides.

i am leading two rides for SDMB at the end of may and early june.

the first one (in may) being a 50/50 up cherry tank to the gap and back down deer camp. the second one is a weekend epic from san pedro vista via green mtn to general hitchcock, down the road to prison camp, molino basin, and then up and over the hill and finally down la milagrosa. 20+ miles with 5000 ft of descent. i think that one is on june 5th....but i gotta check.
    -edward abbey

Occidental Tourist
    the second one is a weekend epic from san pedro vista via green mtn to general hitchcock, down the road to prison camp, molino basin, and then up and over the hill and finally down la milagrosa. 20+ miles with 5000 ft of descent. i think that one is on june 5th....but i gotta check.
    What? You bogarding yer rides from me? Dats it - you're outta the will... Call me this eve about Sunday

freak of nature

fo sure...

Dats it - you're outta the will...

was i ever in the will?

you should definitely come down for that one. i will save you a space.
    -edward abbey

Drugstore Trailrider

I would be interested in both those SDMB rides.

you like that shot, eh?

light and motion lights sure do make it look like its daytime out. they even make tucson look like moab...

myself and one or two other folks do a night ride up there at least once a week, if not twice.

we usually get going around 6:30-7 and do about 12-14 miles.

i will certainly get in touch with you about some future rides.

i am leading two rides for SDMB at the end of may and early june.

the first one (in may) being a 50/50 up cherry tank to the gap and back down deer camp. the second one is a weekend epic from san pedro vista via green mtn to general hitchcock, down the road to prison camp, molino basin, and then up and over the hill and finally down la milagrosa. 20+ miles with 5000 ft of descent. i think that one is on june 5th....but i gotta check.
    Please keep us posted on both those rides. I am considering a XC race at Angel Fire, New Mexico the weekend of June 5th, but if there was something really fun locally, I might decide not to burn all that gas.

Re your picture: I wondered when the Canada Del Oro had that much water running in it, certainly couldn't remember anytime recently.

Later,

John W.
    Body Armor--Don't Leave Home Without It!

mtbr member

It's a good ride

I've done it for several years now. I usually do the 52 but last year I did the 41 due to having a cold when I got there. Did get to meet CTD up there. Good ride and a good time afterwards. I usually camp there. There are a fair amount of roads on the way back, but the last few miles were pretty rutted. A year or two ago you had to ride through a low spot that got you kinda muddy just before the finsh, but with the drought that's unlikely. The ride up Land of the Pioneers was longer and steeper than I could handle. Saw a lot of others pushing up that one, too. I'm going to try that one on fresh legs some time this summer. C'mon up, but register early. Last year they were announcing they were full just after Labor Day.