reddington road, cascabel to benson- kinda sunburned- Mtbr.com
    ~~~~~~~

reddington road, cascabel to benson- kinda sunburned

so, i'm new to tucson and AZ. i'm not yet employed, but also not yet unemployed. anyway, i decided to take yesterday off from the job search and explore. I loaded up my touring bike with lots and lots of water, tubes, pump, etc and headed up over Redington Rd to the San Pedro River, then headed south on Cascabel Rd until I met my girlfriend in Benson who was returning from the Southwestern Biological Research Station outside of Portal, AZ.

From where Redington Rd turns to dirt and the start of the pavement on Cascabel Rd (16 miles from Benson) I saw one sidewinder, one coyote, one cowboy on horseback, three cars, and like 25 roadrunners.

Total Stats
    Miles- 90
    Elevation gain- 4,628 feet
    Average speed- 14.4 mph
    High speed- 30.0 mph.

I had a 28c gatorskin on the rear and 32c kenda kwik cross tire on the front. I didn't get any flats, which is remarkable.

The beginning of Cascabel Rd (intersection with Redington) was really really rough, but it got better, until finally I realized was literally right behind the road grater. I passed him with less than a half mile to go before the dirt ended and I couldn't have been luckier. The road was horrible where for that last 45 seconds. So, if you're thinking about riding this road, I'd say do it soon while its smooth. The washboard will be back I'm sure.

Sorry I don't have any pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

~~~~~~~
    wait- i totally forgot the entire point of this post- are there some good trails off Redington Road? It looks like you could ride up the Road, then descend back down on single track if you knew your way around up there. Is that the case?

Plus size jersey model
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_Diggler
    wait- i totally forgot the entire point of this post- are there some good trails off Redington Road? It looks like you could ride up the Road, then descend back down on single track if you knew your way around up there. Is that the case?
    Yes.

~~~~~~~
    you smart ass ;-)

this is Ty, i rode with you last wednesday. i'll pick your brain on a wednesday ride sometime in the future. i obviously wasn't able to make it yesterday.

Plus size jersey model
    I am riding up in that area this sunday morn if you can make it. Also this is a good ride.

~~~~~~~
    that looks like a sweet ride. i'll see if i can get away. still juggling unfinished work and trying to get some moving details finished up.

Tucson, AZ
    Do you have a GPS? Check here under 50/50.

Did you see this post? If you want a crash course in Lemmon Mountain Biking, you'll want to come.

Meatbomb
    please resize your pictures.... I have to go in the next room to read this thread.------------------------------->

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hell yes! Nice ride... I've driven that many times in my truck, but alas never on the bike. Great climb up Reddington - nice!

mtbr member
    Cool ride! I love long distance riding like this.

I'm hoping to put together one about that long soon.

Members who have read this thread: 0