Recommended trails? 4 hr night ride at S Mountain.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Recommended trails? 4 hr night ride at S Mountain.

Can anyone recommend trails to ride at S Mountain at night?
    -somewhat familiar with trails, but not all features
    -competent rider
    -trying to get in some descent pedaling, but not repeat trails unless necessary.
    -looking for 30-40 miles of trail.
    -entering at 46 at trailhead

Thanks, any comments appreciated.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Are you preferring more of an XC route or include any/all trails available?

If it's the latter, go up Beverly Canyon, hang a left on the West loop, then do a CCW East loop back to 46th St as a warmup. Then climb Javelina - Mormon Loop up to the Natty saddle. Come back down National to the access road, hang a right at the powerline & go up & over to DC. Take DC out to the helipad (maybe throw in a Degoba Loop, aka The Swamp), come down Goat trail then make a decision. If you want more climbing, head over and do a CW loop on Bursera / Gila Valley and back to Desert Foothills TH. Bring DC back east hitting lower Corona de Loma (CW), then Warpaint (CW), into Secret (CW). DC back to Pima and finish it off with a variant of the East loop that wasn't done earlier. That should be in the 30-40 mile range, but I'm just winging it.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Thanks, sounds like a great plan.

I rode DC yesterday morning. In the evening, I went up Mormon and down National. Admittedly, I was a bit nervous coming down National in the dark since I was unfamiliar. If I head straight into it tonight, I should be down by dark. I'll then head out DC and explore some of the options you mentioned out there. Then I'll head back. I killed some time on east and west loop last night too. Any great areas I'm missing? Anything west of Telegraph that is good? Rode Gironomo last year, it was awesome, but I'm not sure I would enjoy it at night.

Is the road open up to Telegraph open to bikes right now, or is it under construction?

mtbr member
    I'd recommend a similar route, opposite direction.

Up Beverly Canyon, Left to the Pima lot and start of DC, DC to the end, drop on the road down 5th ave, take Bursera to where it intersects National. National to San Juan Rd. and climb pavement to Buena Vista. Take National, Mormon, and Javelina (all downhill) back to your car.
    ride is right about 30mi and 3.5-4.5 hrs

mtbr member
    Ate land, I might go that loop, but other way to get the route finding and tech out of the way before dark. Can't seem to find Bursera on my map though.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Bursera is also Bee's Knees.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Brentos aren't you from Salt Lake? I am down here with family and brought the bike down. I did go johns trail up in cave creek today. I have been looking for a solid loop down at south mountain but have never been down there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    Ate land, I might go that loop, but other way to get the route finding and tech out of the way before dark. Can't seem to find Bursera on my map though.
    If you look at Google maps, start at Telegraph trail head (where desert classic and telegraph meet) and go west from the trailhead on the road. Bursera starts around a church on the road.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the advice guys (tysonnebm, that post actually clears things up for me).

I ended up starting at my hotel and riding to the 46th st trail head. Up Beverly Canyon, Mormom Loop, National. I kept going past the Buena Vista trailhead on National to Telegraph divide, this was probably my favorite section. At this point it was about to get dark, and instead of going into the unknown (where I was afraid I'd miss a junction), I headed down Telegraph. I'm happy I did, as now I know it is a legit (albeit technical) connector trail that is pretty fun to ride.

Once down the bottom, I looked around a bit for Bursera, I gave up pretty quickly and headed back around the south side on Desert Classic, including Secret, then up Pima Wash to Mormon Loop, and back down Javelina. Good ride.

Including the ride to and from my hotel (E. Broadway & 48th), it was 31 miles and took 3 hr 5 min.

Thanks for the advice guys, although I didn't follow it exactly, it did help out.

Yes, atekt, I am from the SLC area (Ogden, specifically). I think that the Desert Classic/Bursera/National loop others mentioned would be an incredible ride given the time. Since it sounds like you're north of town, I'd consider riding the Black Canyon. In my opinion, the further North you go on toward Blck Canyon City on Black Canyon Trail, the better it gets.

After riding these trails, I'm also wishing the bike shop left the dropper post on my rental bike that I know it comes with stock.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Glad you had a good ride. For reference go here: South Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff