Results 1 to 50 of 50
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DankyCass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    356

    Recommended Hawes trail for a beginner

    Hey guys, I'm gonna check out Hawes tomorrow morning bright and early, and was wondering if anyone could recommend a specific trail for someone a little more on the beginner side. (I have no problem getting off my bike and hiking sections I do not feel comfortable with)

    Also, where is the best place to park and start riding? Thanks ahead of time as always

  2. #2
    Shred...it's the new drug
    Reputation: latedropbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,844
    Park at Walgreens to prevent auto theft/ vandalism. ride down power to the hawes entrance, drop in take your right up the hill and take a left when you get to the granite trail ride down then back up to ridgeline trail go back down left to the begining of your ride. Ride back to walgreens for a cold beverage. Should be about 8-10 miles of fun. If you don't have fun, I'll give you your money back The best way to enjoy hawes as a beginner is to just go out and explore, ride what you can, walk what you can't, but remember the whole time that mountain biking is fun!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DankyCass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    356
    Thx for the info Bob you got me all excited. Is the Hawes trail on the east or west of Power RD?

  4. #4
    nobody
    Reputation: wookalar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by DankyCass
    Thx for the info Bob you got me all excited. Is the Hawes trail on the east or west of Power RD?
    East. Trailhead is just north of the CAP canal
    I'm what Willis was talkin' about

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DankyCass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    356
    Thx for all the info guys, had a blast this morning. Hit the trailhead at about 6:15 and met two others willing to show me up what they said was an easy path

    Went along hawes, up ridgeline, and met up with the saddleback loop; which they rode back.

    As for myself, I was pooped and rode back toward the car instead of continuing on with them. It was my intention to take the same path I took in, out, however I made a wrong turn somewhere and found myself on Saguaro mine tr. (lol) I rode it out till it met back up with something on ridgeline that looked familiar and eventually found my way back.

    I can't wait to go back again now that I know what to expect. Now I know why I've heard DC referred to as kitty litter on here

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BIGHORN LEW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    829
    woah! people are calling you kitty litter? (DC=DankyCass?) ha hee, just kidding. hey welcome to the hawes experience. glad you had a primo ride. i'll be out there saturday morning brite and oily. yeah, your skills will improve quickly. then the kitty litter will be your loyal subject. let me know when you are riding, and such, and perhaps we'll ride
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

  7. #7
    im4Gsus
    Reputation: kaboose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,203
    TRW on the west side of power rd is great for noobs.
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

  8. #8
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,245
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    TRW on the west side of power rd is great for noobs.
    ...and the Saturday rides through the "super-secret, goverment-controlled, Homeland Security is watching you" section is still fun, although the land is reclaiming the trail amazingly fast, or so I've heard

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tom93R1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by DankyCass
    Now I know why I've heard DC referred to as kitty litter on here
    Speaking of kitty litter, rode Hawes tonight in the dark. Just riding along and suddenly it was like riding in 6" of kitty litter for 2 miles! Then realized we missed a turn and were riding down the wash, almost made it to Bush Highway. Doh! It must have recently been flowing because it was cleared out enough to look like a trail, at least at night.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DankyCass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    356
    haha at least that highway is a great landmark, only way I kept my bearings

  11. #11
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,179
    Quote Originally Posted by DankyCass
    haha at least that highway is a great landmark, only way I kept my bearings
    In case you haven't already found it, here's a great map of the area made by our own Epicrider (Dale):
    http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/di...album=54&pos=5
    Check out other maps on his site for fun areas to ride.

  12. #12
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,993
    Grave9 and I rode the big loop out there this morning. Fun, but not as fast as it normally is because it's so loose right now.

  13. #13
    "No Clue Crew"
    Reputation: Grave9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Grave9 and I rode the big loop out there this morning. Fun, but not as fast as it normally is because it's so loose right now.
    Great Ride this morning but once that sun came up the baking was ON!!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DankyCass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    In case you haven't already found it, here's a great map of the area made by our own Epicrider (Dale):
    http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/di...album=54&pos=5
    Check out other maps on his site for fun areas to ride.
    Thanks! I wish I had a GPS or something... it seems like when I was coming down hill I was moving too quickly and too locked on the terrain to notice the signs, which is part of the reason I got lost.

  15. #15
    sandbagger
    Reputation: airmiller44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by DankyCass
    Thanks! I wish I had a GPS or something... it seems like when I was coming down hill I was moving too quickly and too locked on the terrain to notice the signs, which is part of the reason I got lost.
    The Real trailhead is in the top of las sendas off of hawes road there is a large rock that says hawes trailhead. its at the peak of hawes road just past the first round about on the right. this is where I start everytime. then it wraps around to i think saguaro trail. i then loop over to mine trail and down then back up to the exit ( your entry) by the canal and up power to mcdowell then up mcdowell to hawes where the car is parked.

    that map is missing quite a few trails that have been there for at least 6 years.

    I ride hawes all the time, most of the time at night with my HID not sure if Dustin is on this forum but i run into him often. He rides a fixed gear is smaller full of tatoos use to work at DNA cycles
    V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes

  16. #16
    sandbagger
    Reputation: airmiller44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    516
    anyone interested in going this way sometime hit me up. just remember im luggin 40+ pounds so im no lance.
    V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: StudioDino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    184
    www.StudioDino.com
    The Ride: 2013 Specialized Epic is epic / Roubaix

  18. #18
    sandbagger
    Reputation: airmiller44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by StudioDino

    there you go. thats a good up to date map !
    V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DankyCass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    356
    Bookmarked that map... Actually one of the guys I ran into up there was Dustin but he was riding a 9 speed dh rig

    I'm taking it from the loop you take around Hawes you are doing most of your uphill on the surface streets back to your car?

  20. #20
    Shred...it's the new drug
    Reputation: latedropbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,844
    shhhhh...don't tell anyone, there's a shuttle route up there so you don't have to pedal much, pm me if you ever wanna get down with the go down crew

  21. #21
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,384
    Quote Originally Posted by StudioDino
    Wow...that is one bad-ass map...
    Ride more; post less...

  22. #22
    "No Clue Crew"
    Reputation: Grave9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,459
    Any maps like that for south mountain? Thats a great map! Makes me want to show at Globe Cycle now

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tom93R1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    508
    There is a kmz file you can open in google earth, it has pretty much all of South Mountain
    http://mtbikeaz.com/wp-content/uploa...Wissenbach.kmz

  24. #24
    pedaller
    Reputation: Noelg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,400
    The Mine Trail is labelled as the Saguaro Trail?

    The Pig Trail is labelled as the Hawes Trail?

    Where's the outrage???
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

  25. #25
    "No Clue Crew"
    Reputation: Grave9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom93R1
    There is a kmz file you can open in google earth, it has pretty much all of South Mountain
    http://mtbikeaz.com/wp-content/uploa...Wissenbach.kmz
    Great info for a new rider. Thank you.......D

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dry Cownty Brewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    The Mine Trail is labelled as the Saguaro Trail?

    The Pig Trail is labelled as the Hawes Trail?

    Where's the outrage???
    THere's no room for that nonsense below 7,000 ft elevation.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dry Cownty Brewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    629

    What about an Intermediate Rider/Advanced

    I've never ridden the Hawes area, and printed off the Global Bikes map (thank you), but I am thinking about driving out there tomorrow to explore a new ride. As far as I can tell, making a loop from the Walgreen's is only about 7 miles, one time. Can any of the experienced Hawe's riders recommend a loop closer to 20 miles (15-20)? Not looking for GNAR, but not looking for flat either. I love to climb & flow.

    How tough is the Hawe's/Pass Mtn Loop on Dale's Maps - the only thing that didn't appeal to me was that this ride looked like it missed out on a lot of the actual Hawe's trails and had a lot of road riding.

    Thanks,

    Nathan
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

  28. #28
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,993
    Directed to Pynis: Hawes is relatively easy from a technical perspective. Does have some climbs, but nothing extended. You could add mileage but going out Twisted Sister to Wild Horse and back. Pass Mountain is an entirely different animal altogether.

    If you've never ridden out there, I'd try the longer loop, throwing in TS/WH as an out-and-back to see how you like it.

    Pass Mountain is very, very difficult.
    Last edited by Blatant; 08-21-2009 at 03:30 PM.

  29. #29
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,251
    Quote Originally Posted by Pynis McDermott
    I've never ridden the Hawes area, and printed off the Global Bikes map (thank you), but I am thinking about driving out there tomorrow to explore a new ride. As far as I can tell, making a loop from the Walgreen's is only about 7 miles, one time. Can any of the experienced Hawe's riders recommend a loop closer to 20 miles (15-20)? Not looking for GNAR, but not looking for flat either. I love to climb & flow.

    How tough is the Hawe's/Pass Mtn Loop on Dale's Maps - the only thing that didn't appeal to me was that this ride looked like it missed out on a lot of the actual Hawe's trails and had a lot of road riding.

    Thanks,

    Nathan
    When are you looking to ride tomorrow morning...I'd be willing to take you on a tour. I'm looking for at least 20 tomorrow morning...




  30. #30
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,245
    I love to climb & flow.
    Pass Mtn....

    It's been sanitized tremendously over the past year so much of the baby head experience on the northeast/east side of the mtn is now relatively buff, but there still is plenty of rocks to go around, especially after the d/h on the south side. Great trail, has some of everything. Much more difficult than Hawes but not anything I'd consider as 'advanced only'.......not for a rookie though, you could have a serious fall up there and it's isolated on the backside of the mtn.

    If you really just want to cruise without the worry of extended rocky sections then just go ride all around the Hawes area. You can load up 20 miles, especially if you go out to the Pit and back (via Twisted Sister/Wild Horse Pass). Wild Horse is quite fast for the first mile or so and the entire trail out to Usery road is very flowy and twisty. I recommend heading out that way and tying the whole thing together with whatever you happen to find at Hawes.

    If you want to climb start at the CPS canal (or jump into the trail via the Las Sendas fence line if you can find that trail from Walgreens) and climb Hawes all the way up to Hawes Rd, close to the towers. Bomb back down, it's a blast and not really technical per say. Then add more miles exploring around Hawes.

    EDIT: my comment is to Pynis.......I thought he was the OP...............Twisted Sister/riding UP Hawes/Mine trail.........not for all newbies, although we were riding all those trails very, very early on. Within weeks of starting to ride so I think it all depends on the individual. Walk what you like.......I used to walk plenty of sections, even some at Hawes..
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 08-21-2009 at 02:59 PM.

  31. #31
    im4Gsus
    Reputation: kaboose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,203
    [QUOTE=Blatant]You could add mileage but going out Twisted Sister to Wild Horse and back. .QUOTE]

    you're recommending twisted sister for a beginner???? are you INSANE????
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

  32. #32
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,993
    Oh, I was directing my comment specifically to Pynis' question directly above mine. I thought that was clear, but I went back and edited to make sure.

  33. #33
    im4Gsus
    Reputation: kaboose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Oh, I was directing my comment specifically to Pynis' question directly above mine. I thought that was clear, but I went back and edited to make sure.
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

  34. #34
    sandbagger
    Reputation: airmiller44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    516
    hey good for beginner just trying to get into shape would be usery pass. there are many trails in there and its only a dollar to ride there. its only a few miles east of hawes.
    V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dry Cownty Brewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    When are you looking to ride tomorrow morning...I'd be willing to take you on a tour. I'm looking for at least 20 tomorrow morning...
    Thanks to everyone for the advice, sorry for the confusion distinguishing me from OP.

    Maadjurgeur - I plan to be there around 7:30, but with a 13 month old at home, my schedule can vary. I will be alone out there some time tomorrow morning. I drive a grey Titan, and I ride a Silver Niner RIP9. If I see you, I would be glad to tag up.

    Based on the map and what I see, I might just head out from Walgreens, explore all the way out TS, then head back and explore some more if I am feeling good.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dry Cownty Brewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Directed to Pynis: Hawes is relatively easy from a technical perspective. Does have some climbs, but nothing extended. You could add mileage but going out Twisted Sister to Wild Horse and back. Pass Mountain is an entirely different animal altogether.

    If you've never ridden out there, I'd try the longer loop, throwing in TS/WH as an out-and-back to see how you like it.

    Pass Mountain is very, very difficult.
    Thanks, I'll take your advice and incorporate TS into my ride tomorrow.

    Thanks again to everyone.

    Sorry to Hijack the Thread, or Confuse.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

  37. #37
    sandbagger
    Reputation: airmiller44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Pass Mtn....

    It's been sanitized tremendously over the past year so much of the baby head experience on the northeast/east side of the mtn is now relatively buff, but there still is plenty of rocks to go around, especially after the d/h on the south side. Great trail, has some of everything. Much more difficult than Hawes but not anything I'd consider as 'advanced only'.......not for a rookie though, you could have a serious fall up there and it's isolated on the backside of the mtn.

    If you really just want to cruise without the worry of extended rocky sections then just go ride all around the Hawes area. You can load up 20 miles, especially if you go out to the Pit and back (via Twisted Sister/Wild Horse Pass). Wild Horse is quite fast for the first mile or so and the entire trail out to Usery road is very flowy and twisty. I recommend heading out that way and tying the whole thing together with whatever you happen to find at Hawes.

    If you want to climb start at the CPS canal (or jump into the trail via the Las Sendas fence line if you can find that trail from Walgreens) and climb Hawes all the way up to Hawes Rd, close to the towers. Bomb back down, it's a blast and not really technical per say. Then add more miles exploring around Hawes.

    EDIT: my comment is to Pynis.......I thought he was the OP...............Twisted Sister/riding UP Hawes/Mine trail.........not for all newbies, although we were riding all those trails very, very early on. Within weeks of starting to ride so I think it all depends on the individual. Walk what you like.......I used to walk plenty of sections, even some at Hawes..
    i tend to walk if im close to upchuckin , not from fear just fear of ralphing up my food and water
    V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes

  38. #38
    MTBikeAZ.com
    Reputation: TheBarqsMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    117

    Did someone say Pass Mountain?

    Mike
    MTBikeAZ.com
    --
    How fast can you climb?
    http://helipadtt.blogspot.com

  39. #39
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,245
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBarqsMan
    Nice video. Extremely clear even at full screen. That section of trail is much steeper than the video suggests, and the switchbacks are a beeotch. That is one section I guess I would categorize as 'advanced only', but hey, anybody can walk it.

  40. #40
    MTBikeAZ.com
    Reputation: TheBarqsMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    117
    Didn't mean to hijack this beginner Hawes thread, but had to share the love of Pass Mountain along. After three takes I finally made the last switchback. You can check all the footage out at http://vholdr.com/users/mtbikeaz The new ContourHD is awesome.

    I shot a few more sections of the north side of the mountain too. Great technical XC, a few steps up from Hawes.
    Mike
    MTBikeAZ.com
    --
    How fast can you climb?
    http://helipadtt.blogspot.com

  41. #41
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,251
    dude...that is the tamest video of the steepest shred in east mesa IMO....you make it look like butta....butta I say....butta!




  42. #42
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,993
    Very nice, clean vid.

    Funny how it flattens out that section, which is unusually steep and pretty off-camber/sketchy.

  43. #43
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,220
    There are no rocks on Hawes

    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dry Cownty Brewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by Pynis McDermott
    Thanks to everyone for the advice, sorry for the confusion distinguishing me from OP.

    Maadjurgeur - I plan to be there around 7:30, but with a 13 month old at home, my schedule can vary. I will be alone out there some time tomorrow morning. I drive a grey Titan, and I ride a Silver Niner RIP9. If I see you, I would be glad to tag up.

    Based on the map and what I see, I might just head out from Walgreens, explore all the way out TS, then head back and explore some more if I am feeling good.
    It was great out there today. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Initial thoughts: this is a really cool trail system, the kitty litter factor makes these great training rides, the granite litter adds some challenge to the climbs, and the mine trail is really cool. It definately left me wanting to explore some more. Saw a bunch of people out there, and I was loving the humidity, for a change.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

  45. #45
    Fragile - must be Italian
    Reputation: dgangi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,308
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    There are no rocks on Hawes
    Cool...you found the only ones. Quick...everybody ride them before they are gone.

    I hope nobody sanitizes that little section of trail. It's short...but fun with the rocks keeping you on your toes. Without the rocks, that would suck.

    For those of you who don't know where this is...it's the Hawes Tower trail, which isn't part of the "Hawes Loops" that everybody rides. You either have to slog it up the trail and ride back down or ride up the microwave tower road on the back side of the hill.

    Thx...Doug

  46. #46
    Ridin bikes is fun
    Reputation: surfndav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBarqsMan
    Great video, that's the good stuff. I do fine on all the downhill stuff out there, it's the uphill tech sections that make it a tuff trail. I need to hit that up again soon.

    Thanks for the help on the trail a week or so ago, or when ever that was. I rode the Mine Trail in the uphill direction the other day. It was hard as expected, lots of room for improvement on that one, but I was able to ride more than I thought I would.

  47. #47
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,220
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Cool...you found the only ones. Quick...everybody ride them before they are gone.

    I hope nobody sanitizes that little section of trail. It's short...but fun with the rocks keeping you on your toes. Without the rocks, that would suck.

    For those of you who don't know where this is...it's the Hawes Tower trail, which isn't part of the "Hawes Loops" that everybody rides. You either have to slog it up the trail and ride back down or ride up the microwave tower road on the back side of the hill.

    Thx...Doug
    au contraire mon ami (sp?). a new twist on an old section.

    they best not sanitize the top til I clear the nasty chute into the Saguaro. 0 for 2 on that one. Upper Mudflaps is what worries me, fortunately not a lot of people hike it or climb it so hopefully it can continue to live on in all its uglyness!
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  48. #48
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,475
    Quote Originally Posted by StudioDino

    Dummies they should know not to put NRA on a map. Especially since not one person at global has done anything out there yet they advertise our work which by the way if you don't know is illegal. which also increases the chances of some newb who doesn't belong out there getting hurt and getting bad attention.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

  49. #49
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,475
    Quote Originally Posted by airmiller44
    that map is missing quite a few trails that have been there for at least 6 years.

    I ride hawes all the time, most of the time at night with my HID not sure if Dustin is on this forum but i run into him often. He rides a fixed gear is smaller full of tatoos use to work at DNA cycles

    Sorry but Dales map http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/di...album=54&pos=5 shows all the system trails except the new entrance uptop . The illegal ones aren't on there for a reason . Enjoy them while you can because the Mesa District of the Tonto forest plans to destroy them via volunteer work . Unfortunate thing is they want to make new system trails but need to get rid of the "wildcat" trails before they can proceed .
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,044
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBarqsMan
    Didn't mean to hijack this beginner Hawes thread, but had to share the love of Pass Mountain along. After three takes I finally made the last switchback. You can check all the footage out at http://vholdr.com/users/mtbikeaz The new ContourHD is awesome.

    I shot a few more sections of the north side of the mountain too. Great technical XC, a few steps up from Hawes.
    Great vids BarqsMan , --I also really love old Pass Mountain.
    I did a national up and down friday and sat morning, then I did a Pass mountain sat afternoon and sunday morning and then rested .
    I have noticed all year long someone has been sanitizing areas of Pass Mountain, -----It kinda makes me mad , -----, now its getting where it is to easy and it takea alot of fun out of it

    Oh well -------maybe we will have to gnar it back up even better

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.