mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Recommendation of trails for 2 days in Sedona

Heading out to Scottsdale for business the third week of May. Gonna try to get some riding in that Thursday and Friday. I have ridden in Sedona before and loved it but for the life of me cannot remember the trails I rode.

Suggestions? I am a strong XC rider from the Northeast (NJ and PA). Rocky technical
    terrain is pretty much the norm.

I will probably hire a guide service (Arizona Destination Adventures) to limit me getting lost and assist in any issues since I will more than likely be traveling solo.

I want to proactively suggest the trails I would like to ride so I can maximize the fun!

Thanks for the help!
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I would recommend one day of riding chuckwagon to mescal and from there you could ride a number of others trails to make it as long of loop as you would like. Also if you are a advanced rider I would recommend hitting up hiline. I don't know what kind of riding you enjoy doing or what bike you plan on bring, but hiline is a advanced trail that is definitely my favorite in Sedona.

mtbr member
    I just got back from 7 days of riding in Sedona. With the map to plan a general route in advance and the excellent trail signage (including on trail maps), it was really easy to navigate, once of the easiest places I've ever been.

If you are confident with the double black diamond stuff, a good ride would be:

Slim Shady, Hiline, Baldwin, Templeton, HT trail, Little Horse, Broken Arrow, High on the Hog, Hog Heavan, Hog Wash, Pigtail, Mystic, Chapel, Little Horse, Llama, Bell Rock Pathway back to the start.

Consequently if you found after Hiline you weren't into the double black diamonds, you could do HT trail, Bell Rock Pathway (Road), Mystic, Hogwash, Broken Arrow, Little Horse, Llama, Bell Rock Pathway back to the start.

Second ride I would suggest NW Sedona. I did Chuckwagon, Mescal, Canyon of Fools, Dawa, Cockscomb, Western Civilization and Girdiner, though I could have played around more in there. I had ridden out from the village of Oak creek, so I had a trek to get out there and back. This area is a lot less technical, but still rip roaring fun. Similarly with the trails around Adobe Jack, Grand Central, Javelina.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    I just got back from 7 days of riding in Sedona. With the map to plan a general route in advance and the excellent trail signage (including on trail maps), it was really easy to navigate, once of the easiest places I've ever been.

Slim Shady, Hiline, Baldwin, Templeton, HT trail, Little Horse, Broken Arrow, High on the Hog, Hog Heavan, Hog Wash, Pigtail, Mystic, Chapel, Little Horse, Llama, Bell Rock Pathway back to the start.

Consequently if you found after Hiline you weren't into the double black diamonds, you could do HT trail, Bell Rock Pathway (Road), Mystic, Hogwash, Broken Arrow, Little Horse, Llama, Bell Rock Pathway back to the start.

Second ride I would suggest NW Sedona. I did Chuckwagon, Mescal, Canyon of Fools, Dawa, Cockscomb, Western Civilization and Girdiner, though I could have played around more in there. I had ridden out from the village of Oak creek, so I had a trek to get out there and back. This area is a lot less technical, but still rip roaring fun. Similarly with the trails around Adobe Jack, Grand Central, Javelina.
    This man is spot on. Two totally different areas yet equal amounts of fun.
    16 Stumpy Elite 650B

mtbr member

I agree these are two perfect routes BUT din't get scared off by his mention of "double black diamond" because there's only one section of Hi-Line that I would consider double black. In my head, it's quadruple black but I see people ride it every time I'm there.

mtbr member
    What section is a quad black?

mtbr member
    I would get in touch with Dave at " fat tire bike shop". He is an excellent tour guide and ibis demo center right on Jordan road in uptown.

mtbr member
    If your paying for a guide service in an area that is now pretty easy to navigate make him earn his money.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    If your paying for a guide service in an area that is now pretty easy to navigate make him earn his money.
    By going into it knowing some of the trails you want to ride rather than just letting him take you on his bone stock loops? I agree!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Molasses View Post
    I will probably hire a guide service (Arizona Destination Adventures) to limit me getting lost and assist in any issues since I will more than likely be traveling solo.

I want to proactively suggest the trails I would like to ride so I can maximize the fun!

Thanks for the help!
    Sounds like you mean Sedona Destination Adventures? They ride from Bike-n-Bean which is in the Village of Oak Creek. The Dry Creek area loops are an excellent suggestion but a bit distant. If you want to suggest a ride to your guide then perhaps HiLine and cross the creek and ride a loop in the Carroll Canyon area and then back on Templeton. That will eat up 4 hours easy. Then do something on the VOC side that incorporates the Hogs.

Guiding is a time-honored profession. Your guide will show you the goods if he/she wants a tip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin MD View Post
    It starts here and ends in the bottom of the wash. The pictures don't do it any justice and it gets nastier from here. Avg down grade is 25%.

Recommendation of trails for 2 days in Sedona-img_1228-s.jpg
    Recommendation of trails for 2 days in Sedona-img_1229-s.jpg
    I brought my biggest bike to try to ride it and well my balls retracted and I could not. I did rode one short section on this bit of the trail, but also had two minor falls.

That said the upper portion was great (I even did it twice on a 26" HT) and the views were fantastic.
    Recommendation of trails for 2 days in Sedona-img_1227-s.jpg
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    It starts here and ends in the bottom of the wash. The pictures don't do it any justice and it gets nastier from here. Avg down grade is 25%.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1228-s.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	308.5 KB 
ID:	1061734

Name:	IMG_1229-s.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	315.6 KB 
ID:	1061735
    I brought my biggest bike to try to ride it and well my balls retracted and I could not. I did rode one short section on this bit of the trail, but also had two minor falls.

That said the upper portion was great (I even did it twice on a 26" HT) and the views were fantastic.

Name:	IMG_1227-s.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	314.2 KB 
ID:	1061733

Hiline was definitely my favorite trail when visiting Sedona. It had a nice diversity of terrain and trail as it progressed.

From what I've ridden around North America, I think the trail is properly labelled as a double black diamond. Primarily due to that downhill, however the technical ups to start and exposure during the traverse contribute as well.

I consider myself an above average technical rider with above average kohonas. Double blacks diamonds typically challenge me in both those regards, but are doable. I cleaned that entire downhill, except once 10ft section that was just too chunky for my 120mm rental bike. I did have to inspect a couple sections however. So anyway, I think the rating is pretty consistent from what I've experienced.

Regardless, Hiline is a must do, one of the better trails I've ridden period. The day I rode it, I went Slim Shady, Hiline, Baldwin, Templeton, descent to Easy Breazy, but out to the parking lot. Road to Mystic, Hogwash, Pigtail, Road, Shnelby Road, Cow Pies, Hangover, Munds Wagon, Road to Airport, Bandit, Ridge, Creek Crossing, Templeton, Slimshady.

One of my more memorable days on a bike, though really disappointed I didn't do the triple H ride and ride the trails back. Didn't realize the significance of that and had done Hog Heaven and High on the Hog the day before. Oh well, next time.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Regardless, Hiline is a must do, one of the better trails I've ridden period. The day I rode it, I went Slim Shady, Hiline, Baldwin, Templeton, descent to Easy Breazy, but out to the parking lot. Road to Mystic, Hogwash, Pigtail, Road, Shnelby Road, Cow Pies, Hangover, Munds Wagon, Road to Airport, Bandit, Ridge, Creek Crossing, Templeton, Slimshady.

One of my more memorable days on a bike, though really disappointed I didn't do the triple H ride and ride the trails back. Didn't realize the significance of that and had done Hog Heaven and High on the Hog the day before. Oh well, next time.
    That's a big ride for sure with an original route.

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin MD View Post
    Mountain biking uses such an arbitrary system of trail rating. If the descent on Highline is Quad Black, which I feel is a crock of SHIT how do you guys classify the rampage area or a world cup race course.
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

mtbr member
    I'm an old man and clean it more often that not. You just have to decide on your line and commit. It's definitely a black diamond of some sort but trail ratings are subjective. What's most important from a land manager perspective is a sign has been posted indicating a high level of difficulty. You try it and crash and the liability is yours. They've done their job with regard to public safety on a system trail or something like that.

mtbr member
    I really like hiline as well. Definite must do and my typical Hiline loop is Slim Shady to hiline, Then Baldwin to Tempelton, Easy Breezy back or HT to to Mystic and Hogs and Broken arrow, little horse. Then back to Bike and Bean.

That said that last part of hiline is just too much for me. The risk of crashing gets in my head and I cannot commit to it. That is just me. As for the exposure on the climb I really enjoy that bit as well as the upper descent on Hiline. When it comes to rating trails some back diamond or double black can mean different things due to different types of features that different people that find a challenge.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

The .05 percent
    Makes sense to claim one section of Highline as such. The rest of it...maybe not.
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Makes sense to claim one section of Highline as such. The rest of it...maybe not.
    Sanitized, for the masses.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.