Recommendation for a group near Sedona- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Recommendation for a group near Sedona

I'm going to be in Sedona for a wedding in late Sept and a number of people going are bikers so we're going to try to get a group ride together of 5-10 riders. The riders are all in good shape (most could put in a 100 mile road ride without too much trouble) but skill levels vary from downhillers and expert racers to a few guys who are competent but can get in over their heads on really technical sections.

So we're looking for a suggestion nice long challenging ride (this will basically be the bachelor party so we don't mind it taking most of a day) that will be satisfying for the whole group. Most of us are from vertically challenged regions so a trail with nice views and long downhill(s) would be a real treat, and we're willing to work for it. Something near Sedona would be ideal but we also don't mind driving a few hours if it's worth it.

We've been looking through the various threads and have some ideas but with varying skills of the group it's somewhat overwhelming trying to find something that's going to be fun for everyone but not too challenging for the newer riders.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brassnipples
    I'm going to be in Sedona for a wedding in late Sept and a number of people going are bikers so we're going to try to get a group ride together of 5-10 riders. The riders are all in good shape (most could put in a 100 mile road ride without too much trouble) but skill levels vary from downhillers and expert racers to a few guys who are competent but can get in over their heads on really technical sections.

So we're looking for a suggestion nice long challenging ride (this will basically be the bachelor party so we don't mind it taking most of a day) that will be satisfying for the whole group. Most of us are from vertically challenged regions so a trail with nice views and long downhill(s) would be a real treat, and we're willing to work for it. Something near Sedona would be ideal but we also don't mind driving a few hours if it's worth it.

We've been looking through the various threads and have some ideas but with varying skills of the group it's somewhat overwhelming trying to find something that's going to be fun for everyone but not too challenging for the newer riders.
    brass:

When you get done with your bachelor party ride please get back to us with this great ride you are going to do with your different skilled buddies. I have lead numerous group rides and unfortunately you have to dumb the ride down to the least skilled rider or risk that rider's health.

If you could care less about the safety or enjoyment of the lesser skilled riders then something on Lama and Templeton would be scenic. Most all rides in Sedona are scenic, so it doesn't really matter which trails you ride they are all scenic.

I will look forward to what the other posters come up with as a ride suggestion. We all have our perfect ride for a group of your type. Please get back to us when your done with your ride and let us know how it went so we can suggest it to another similar group.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Maybe someone can supply the details, as I haven't ridden in Sedona too much... but I seem to recall that there are quite a number of fairly mellow trails with some opportunities to do more technical riding session-style on a short connecting loop or 'play area' ala Sub rock or up in the cowpies. Not sure, as it has been a couple years... but I remember my GF taking some of the easier trails while I went off to play in the rocks and we met up just down the trail a ways.

mtbr member

I would recomend, what I feel is the classic sedona ride.

http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/di...album=56&pos=2

plenty of places to play. could be a long day in the saddle, but nothing overly tech. all can and has been ridden on long travle bikes and fully rigid SS.

b
    b

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    brass:

When you get done with your bachelor party ride please get back to us with this great ride you are going to do with your different skilled buddies. I have lead numerous group rides and unfortunately you have to dumb the ride down to the least skilled rider or risk that rider's health.

If you could care less about the safety or enjoyment of the lesser skilled riders then something on Lama and Templeton would be scenic. Most all rides in Sedona are scenic, so it doesn't really matter which trails you ride they are all scenic.

I will look forward to what the other posters come up with as a ride suggestion. We all have our perfect ride for a group of your type. Please get back to us when your done with your ride and let us know how it went so we can suggest it to another similar group.

Have you ridden frankies > rambler > upper and lower shoreline > maggies farm > Jack straw > GDTRFB ?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the quick replies.

I'll be sure to report back, hopefully with pictures and maybe video. Luckily the least skilled are still pretty decent and we all have a good sense of when it's time to walk. None of us are going to be disappointed as long as we're out riding with our buddies.

Almost forgot the most important question though, what local brews should be waiting for us when we get back?

mtbr member
    Almost forgot the most important question though, what local brews should be waiting for us when we get back?

BEER you say.....why.....http://www.oakcreekbrew.com/oakcreek/home.php of course.
    b

banned
    Thanks for the quick replies.

I'll be sure to report back, hopefully with pictures and maybe video. Luckily the least skilled are still pretty decent and we all have a good sense of when it's time to walk. None of us are going to be disappointed as long as we're out riding with our buddies.

Oak Creek Brewary in West Sedona

mtbr member
    There's plenty of long, challenging rides in Sedona but not a one has a long downhill associated with it. I'd head to Flagstaff for that.

mtbr member
    the plans are all set, there should be 8 of us and we'll be doing the ride that brianc recommended. The length looks about right and it has some opt out points in case someone starts feeling the heat.

I'm going to be out there all next week and plan on doing a few rides including a scouting mission of that route. Are there regular group rides (any trail) in the area that I could jump in on?

mtbr member
    You folks in the Sedona area are great. The guys at Bike n Bean got me on a rental ride, pointed out a number of good spots to try, and let me know about a loose group ride to hook up with. I'm staying a stones throw away from the Chimney rock trails so I've had a chance to loop those a few times and some of the spurs off of them, good fun stuff to be had without having to drive.

A big thanks to "Desert Encyclopedia" Jeff, "I gotta answer this" Duff, and "F**cking B@st@rd" Daniel for letting a flat lander tag along for a spin on the trails across the street from the BnB Monday night. I could never retrace the path but it all fun and nothing like the stuff back home. Good trails, good beer, and good peoples. My web access is sketchy right now but when I get back home some pics will follow.

More exploring to do...

banned
    You folks in the Sedona area are great. The guys at Bike n Bean got me on a rental ride, pointed out a number of good spots to try, and let me know about a loose group ride to hook up with. I'm staying a stones throw away from the Chimney rock trails so I've had a chance to loop those a few times and some of the spurs off of them, good fun stuff to be had without having to drive.

A big thanks to "Desert Encyclopedia" Jeff, "I gotta answer this" Duff, and "F**cking B@st@rd" Daniel for letting a flat lander tag along for a spin on the trails across the street from the BnB Monday night. I could never retrace the path but it all fun and nothing like the stuff back home. Good trails, good beer, and good peoples. My web access is sketchy right now but when I get back home some pics will follow.

More exploring to do...
    Nipples:

Lost Watch, Mescal, Touron, Chuck Wagon, Canyon of Fools, Anaconda, Lizard Head, Girdner, Tea Cup and Snake are all good choices from the Chimney Rock area.

TD
    Last edited by traildoc; 10-03-2009 at 03:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Nipples:

Lost Watch, Mescal, Touron, Chuck Wagon, Canyon of Fools, Anaconda, Lizard Head, Girdner, Tea Cup and Snake are all good choices from the Chimney Rock area.

John
    Chucky got pretty beat up, presumably by that same storm mid-Sept that flooded downtown Sedona. I rode it yesterday. The gullies that the trail so cleverly weaves in and out of flashed and much of the tread has degraded. Makes me wonder about Canyon of Fools. The mud in Dry Creek was black with ash from the burn.

Doc get out of Moab and get to work.

Kathleen in AZ
    Nipples:

John
    Traildoc.... I have a group coming up your way next weekend (Oct 9-11). We have a group camp spot at Chavez Crossing reserved and will be looking for fun rides on Sat and Sun. Any chance you could roll over to the camp and lead us on one of your epic worldclass Sedona rides?

Also, if anyone is free next weekend and you happen to see this post hidden in here, you are welcome to join the fun bunch for the weekend. Camp is dog and kid friendly.

pedaller
    ...and right in the middle of everything.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Shiiete. How do I always miss these damn rides? I'll be in Flag baggin the peaks and riding the AZ trail, so I shouldn't complain. Have fun, and one day, we shall meet again.

zul
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Traildoc.... I have a group coming up your way next weekend (Oct 9-11). We have a group camp spot at Chavez Crossing reserved and will be looking for fun rides on Sat and Sun. Any chance you could roll over to the camp and lead us on one of your epic worldclass Sedona rides?

Also, if anyone is free next weekend and you happen to see this post hidden in here, you are welcome to join the fun bunch for the weekend. Camp is dog and kid friendly.
    Durt:

I will still be AOL when you get to Sedona, but maybe zul can show you some of the fun stuff. Wish I could have joined you.

TD

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Ran into BrassNipples from Wisconsin on a random group ride last Monday. We took ol' Wisco boy out on some of the local haunts only to find out that this guy can RIDE!! After learning that he'd be in town for a week or so for his buddy's wedding, we decided that a ride on some of the higher up trails was in order.

I started snapping some photos from this favorite vista:
    Vista" width="549">

Brass, rolling some of the fun bits:
    Richard 1" width="549">

On this day, he get's the Gold Star riding award for his fearless efforts. Nice work, Mr. Newly Wed Guy. Nice Work:

Jin" width="549">

Two cool cats from Wisconsin. Riding off into the sunset:

Just riding along" width="549">

Brass has some additional pics from the trip ... More to come

banned

Pay It Back

Quote Originally Posted by zul
    Ran into BrassNipples from Wisconsin on a random group ride last Monday. We took ol' Wisco boy out on some of the local haunts only to find out that this guy can RIDE!! After learning that he'd be in town for a week or so for his buddy's wedding, we decided that a ride on some of the higher up trails was in order.

I started snapping some photos from this favorite vista:
    Vista" width="549">

Brass, rolling some of the fun bits:
    Richard 1" width="549">

On this day, he get's the Gold Star riding award for his fearless efforts. Nice work, Mr. Newly Wed Guy. Nice Work:

Jin" width="549">

Two cool cats from Wisconsin. Riding off into the sunset:

Just riding along" width="549">

Brass has some additional pics from the trip ... More to come
    zul:

How did you guys do on the climb up to the saddle? Thanks for taking over in my absense. We have a bunch of Whistler ass kickers coming in soon so get yourself in shape and ready to step it up a couple notches. Hope to take them out to Denial.

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Trail: Is in fair shape. It took three direct hits in one month from those last ditch monsoons. I was really suprised that it was all still there. Yes, it could use some TLC. But very rideable as of now.

As for me, I sucked yesterday. One of those, not my day sorta days. Slid off of a sandstone rolldown ... twice (insert: trying not to blame new and smaller volume tires, errrgh.) I'll have to put on my Mojo Cap and step it up for the Doc. Gotta represent

Any Mo, Tue, Wed should be good. That reminds me, I have a job assignment. Check the PM.

zul

mtbr member

Hangover from the other camera

I can't express how fortunate we were to run into zul, he took a couple of flatlanders out on a really spectacular ride. We'll never forget this one. And don't let his "bad day" fool you, he was still riding lines that most folks wouldn't know what to do with.

Grinding up

Playing on Cow Pie

Taking in the view

Zul Dropping into the good stuff

Skirting a bowl

Tight turn

Thanks again, you can get the full size shots from https://brassnipples.smugmug.com/Spo...73742378_PtDZt

Kathleen in AZ
    Sorry we won't be able to ride this weekend with Zul or TD. Sure looks like you had a great ride with the flatlanders. Good thing the groom had decent skills and didn't get banged up before the wedding! No armor, no gloves.... but it's all good if ya end with a smile.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Good thing the groom had decent skills and didn't get banged up before the wedding! No armor, no gloves.... but it's all good if ya end with a smile.
    I've ridden 1000's of miles with him over the last decade or so. In all that time he's never worn gloves, has only taken a few tumbles, and only been hurt once that I can recall. Plus he's always the quickest down the hill and the first one to try the hard moves. It's actually kind of annoying

Members who have read this thread: 0