Recommend me a Tucson trail, pleeez- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Recommend me a Tucson trail, pleeez

I'll be in Tucson Easter weekend as my tennis junkie son is playing in a tournament at the El Conquistador. My wife and I want to bring the bikes to see if we can break away for a ride in between, before, or after his matches. Question is, what trails are close to the El Conquistador? Nothing epic (sigh!) but rather something we can ride in an hour or two.

Any suggestions? Thanks

XC Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Walla
    I'll be in Tucson Easter weekend as my tennis junkie son is playing in a tournament at the El Conquistador. My wife and I want to bring the bikes to see if we can break away for a ride in between, before, or after his matches. Question is, what trails are close to the El Conquistador? Nothing epic (sigh!) but rather something we can ride in an hour or two.

Any suggestions? Thanks
    Starpass is close and rideable in your time frame
    I should be doing something more productive with my time!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Goulder ranch area is fairly close in as well and tons o' fun. Also check out Tucson Mt Park on the other side of Star Pass.

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

50 Year/Golder Ranch

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Walla

Any suggestions? Thanks
    Starr Pass is nice, but 35/45 minutes by car to the trailhead, across town, through traffic.

50 Year/Golder Ranch: About 15 minutes from El Con. Exit El Con, go north just past mm86 to Golder Ranch, (Mobil gas station on corner). Go right to dirt at end, park and ride. Ride from a minute to days.

We have a group going out that Sunday, most likely split into two, due to varying skill levels. You could probably join us…

CJ

mtbr member

Good job! Thanks for the info and the invite..

[QUOTE= .

We have a group going out that Sunday, most likely split into two, due to varying skill levels. You could probably join us…

CJ[/QUOTE]

I have no clue when I can break away. This is the nature of 12 year olds in tennis tourneys. Their first match time is set, and whether they win or lose determines when (and if) they play again.

Let me know what time you're out on Sunday and I'll look for you. Or.. look for us. I ride a silver Superlight, my wife rides a Blue Superlight with a black rear swingarm.

Thanks again. I'll check out Paul B's book and the trail reviews here.

caninus xerophilous

Go Catalina

Unfortunately Paul's book is not so up to date on the 50 Year trail network given the re-route of the main trail and some routes that have become maintstream rides. The High/Upper 50, Deer Camp Loop, and the Chutes remain as described in Paul's Book and they are good fun trails and very easy to find and follow as is the re-routed 50.

If you have time and the Tucson version of The Map check out Baby Jesus and Cherry Tank trails, they are now, unfortunately, much easier to find and ride, having become mainstream trails over the last year.

I would recommend the 50 over Star Pass given proximity, ease of trail finding, and ease of parking. All the trails still start from the Golder Ranch Road parking lot and as CJ said you can punch doggies for minutes or days on the system.

Louis