Recommend me a tough 2.4 or 2.5 tire- Mtbr.com
    Powered by ice cream.

Recommend me a tough 2.4 or 2.5 tire

I am out of touch with tires for 26" world.

I need a tough, heavy, high volume, grippy tire for aggressive trail riding on a 6" travel bike. Maximum cornering and braking grip is my priority.

What works best out here?

Have had 2.5 Weirwolf recommended, have also had 2.4 Big Betty recommended.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    I need a tough, heavy, high volume, grippy tire for aggressive trail riding on a 6" travel bike. Maximum cornering and braking grip is my priority.
    You want a 2.5 Timberwolf, preferabley on a decently wide rim. Absurdly good cornering ability in all conditions. I ran one on the front on my SS, at 20 psi, all summer here, Flag, and elsewhere and had no flats and no significant scuffs or tears. Love it.

You can even borrow the thing if you want. My wife has inherented that bike (new 29er for me) and hates the tire. Right now it's gathering dust....

igoslo
    With the exception of last weekend I've been running a 2.5 Weirwolf up front and absolutely love it. Not terribly heavy, holds up quite well in the rocks, and corner grip is better than most anything else I've tried.

Elitest thrill junkie
    You know my vote is for the 2.5 wierwolf. I hate trying different tires only to find out I wasted $75-90 on something I hate. I'm sure there are a few other good ones out there, but I hate taking the chance of absolutely hating the tire.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

sprocket

Thanks.

Continental Deisel 2.5 PROtection. MMMMmmmm nice.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    Continental Deisel 2.5 PROtection. MMMMmmmm nice.
    Those are on sale at nashbar right now too. $25 with shipping.

sprocket
    Those are on sale at nashbar right now too. $25 with shipping.

yes, I bought a bunch of them. they DO NOT have the "protection" sidewall, yet they are pretty durable just as well, and kevlar bead. pretty good deal.

mtbr member

Thanks.
    I'm having good luck with the IRC Trail Bear 2.5 on the front with a Continental Vertical Protection on the rear.

E~Pluribus Unum
    Around here?

Mark 2.5 Weirwolf

zul
    Will Guide for Beer

Just say NO to the Weirwolf

Someone gave me a 2.5 weirwolf (front tire). It was new and I couldn't keep a line in any corner.

How about the Kenda Nevegal?!! That's the best single ply tire I have found.

Maxis Minion or High Roller??? Maxis are the heavy tire of choice, IMO. 2-ply, low air pressure and never flat.
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by zul

How about the Kenda Nevegal?!! That's the best single ply tire I have found.

Yes, how about those kendas...after about 15 hours of riding.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I've never had a Weirwolf, so can't make a direct comparison, but will attest that the HighRoller is the most flat-resistant, knobby-stable, stickiest (42a compound) tire I've ever ridden. Braking and cornering were excellent. Traction was so sticky that you could ride down the sides of many smooth rocks (outside of the "fall line" path) without sliding off. Ended up switching them out after two years (with no flats or torn-off knobbies) because I wanted something that rolls with less effort. Located over 30 broken cholla spines and a few embedded goathead fragments in each carcass -- that's tough.

Since then, I've become progressively more of an XC wimp in tire selection, so have had Nevegal then Fire XC Pro 2.1 then Smoke/Dart then Mythos XC O2 then Exiwolf then Python NG 2.0 on that same bike. Each move led to a quicker, but more flat-prone and sketchy ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0