Rec for Phoenix Riding Area Accomodations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rec for Phoenix Riding Area Accomodations

A buddy and I are wanting to check out long desert rides in the Phoenix area March 21-25. We havent dialed in exactly what rides were going to do yet but need to secure a hotel, AirB&B... preferably close to riding areas and not too expensive. Any thing come to mind- general area and lodging recommendations welcome. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I had good luck with AirB&B in Sedona (and Hurricane) on the recommendation of Over the Edge Sports.
    Almost = Didn't

My other ride is your mom
    Long desert rides that time of year? Start with the AZT at Parker Canyon Lake, head north. Stop when you want to fly back, no AirBnB needed.

Seriously...BCT in just about any configuration, AZT from Oracle to the Gila River, AZT from the Gila to Picketpost, or in reverse.check the sticky up top...tons of great flower rich desert rides that time of year....hard to go wrong.

If that's too far from PHX...try SoMo, coast to coast to coast; a full loop of Hawes, Pass Mountain and Gold Canyon linked....quad bypass at the McDowells...

mtbr member
    We traveled from KC to ride back in November. I freaking LOVE it out there! We ended up in a townhouse in Scottsdale, had a buddy that hadn't been before and figured we'd stay in town and just travel as needed, didn't have a plan. There a bazillion rentals. I would say it's nice to have something ground level, our place had a courtyard, a hose to wash the bikes, room to bring the bikes inside at night, etc. Hot tub will be a must next trip and we'll probably stay IN sedona or at least Cave Creek, Fountain Hills, etc. We ended up riding Sedona, Flag and Hawes. We're headed back in April! Getcha some Tower Station IPA after each ride!

mtbr member
    We go every year and rent off VRBO or AirBnB. The thing with PHX is all the best riding spots are spread out so be prepared to drive no matter where you stay. Based on your post, I'd stay up North and ride the BCT and Cave Creek Cactus Cup for sure.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Long desert rides that time of year? Start with the AZT at Parker Canyon Lake, head north. Stop when you want to fly back, no AirBnB needed.

Seriously...BCT in just about any configuration, AZT from Oracle to the Gila River, AZT from the Gila to Picketpost, or in reverse.check the sticky up top...tons of great flower rich desert rides that time of year....hard to go wrong.

If that's too far from PHX...try SoMo, coast to coast to coast; a full loop of Hawes, Pass Mountain and Gold Canyon linked....quad bypass at the McDowells...
    Thanks Maadjurger for the trail info- Ill definitely look into those trails. Hope the wildflowers hold up until we arrive- desert color is cool!

Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    We go every year and rent off VRBO or AirBnB. The thing with PHX is all the best riding spots are spread out so be prepared to drive no matter where you stay. Based on your post, I'd stay up North and ride the BCT and Cave Creek Cactus Cup for sure.
    Thanks K2 rider, based on your advice were exploring N Phoenix options. Being close(r) to trails and microbreweries is our priority. Ill also investigate your trail recommendations.

If anyone else has lodging or trail recs pls keep them coming - airline tickets purchased now and still working out the other details. We rode Sedona a few years ago and had a blast and are wanting to focus on the Phoenix area this trip.

If anyone is headed up to NorCal and needs guidance- just ask.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rec for Phoenix Riding Area Accomodations-4992667c-182b-4f9c-ab0e-9af96e6cb709.jpg  

Meatbomb
    Due to the snow melt the river crossings on BCT may be a bit risky.....

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahooo View Post
    Thanks K2 rider, based on your advice were exploring N Phoenix options. Being close(r) to trails and microbreweries is our priority. Ill also investigate your trail recommendations. .
    If you are looking to check out our beer scene, (I'll probably get crucified for this, but so it goes) I've been fairly disappointed after moving here from Albuquerque, which is booming. I recommend Wren House for super-micro creative stuff, and Angel's Trumpet, Wandering Tortoise, and the Casual Pint for very well curated micros from around the west. All located in Central Phoenix. Other than that Flagstaff seems to be the epicenter of creative brewing around here.

Meatbomb
    Four Peaks Brewery ... Good brews and good food.

Black and Sticky
    No food served but you can bring food in, great beer selection:
    Irene’s Tap Room -Beer-Wine-Tap Room

Great food, good beer selection:
    https://www.taphousekitchen.com

Both less than a mile from Phoenix Mountain Preserve.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Long rides? BCT stream should be fine by the time you get here. Also consider Picket Post by Superior. Then of course tons of long rides can be had at Somo, Hawes, PMP, ... I like the central approach in say Scottsdale area if you were staying one place.

mtbr member
    North Phx, Scottsdale or East Mesa work for base camps. So many places to ride in Phx, but unless you pick one "park" and ride there you will be driving to them. The city is too big to ride from place to place. However just north, north east, east and south east are great riding areas. Due south is South Mtn and there is Phx Mtn Preserve in the middle of the city that has 50+ miles of awesome trails. BCT is pretty cool and you can ride on dirt (90% Single Track) from Fountain Hills to BCT, but is just a frigging long way (60+miles). So how far and long many hours are "long desert rides"? Also consider you will need lots of water both to carry and consider where you can get water on the trails. Some are easy others and not.

I use trailforks to find trails. It has pretty much all the good ones shown and mapped.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Hey thanks everyone for your trail and brewery recommendations- so many with so little time.

We booked our flights Thursday, March 21-Monday, March 25 and found an AirB&B in N Scottsdale.

Big rides for us are probably in the 30 mile range unless thay are flat and non-technical then up that to 40-50. BCT from Bumbee south to ? sounds like a must do. Well have to figure out a shuttle (Uber?) somehow as well have only one vehicle.

We have two more longer rides to dial in and a couple of shorter more local ones prob for arrival and departure dates. Ill be looking at yalls recs, Mtb Project and TrailForks. Were both advanced riders looking more for scenary than intense trail challenges although I dont want to just have a sit and spin on a desert fire road. I love jumps and drops but my buddy not so much and in the land of sharp things Im not so sure I want to go off too much. Id love to see a tortoise and major blooms in the desert. Ill keep investigating...

Thanks again for your recommendations. I am
    so ready to escape the friggin rain here in N Cal!

mtbr member
    Do BCT Little Pan loop from Rock Springs. 24 miles 3200ft of climbing 3hrs if you are super strong and 5 if you are just chilling. No shuttle needed and covers some really nice BCT. Might get your feet wet at the river crossings.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Do BCT Little Pan loop from Rock Springs. 24 miles 3200ft of climbing 3hrs if you are super strong and 5 if you are just chilling. No shuttle needed and covers some really nice BCT. Might get your feet wet at the river crossings.
    Sounds perfect JoePAz, I'll check it out, thanks for the rec.