Reason #157 why I love mountain biking.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Reason #157 why I love mountain biking.

No sore muscles or joints after bike riding.

No matter how hard, how long and how much I pushed myself - no sore legs or joints next day (UNLESS I FALL OFF THE BIKE - happens very rarely). It's amazing. The QUAD bypass run was probably the hardest thing I have done and at towards the end my legs were killing me during the ride and I was exhausted after the ride. The next day I was perfect again.

NOW, I went for a 20 minute jog-sprints with our dog yesterday. Mind you I don't like running usually. Today my hams and quads are sore.

I had muscle sprains after playing soccer, racquetball and basketball. Nothing with biking. Occasionally my knee will hurt a bit during a ride, but then just goes away OR I have to readjust my seat or foot placement.

Anyway, If all goes well, maybe I hope to keep on riding in to my late 70's.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Copy that. Even with nasty osteoarthritis and most likely a jacked ACL, I can ride dozens of miles. If I do the dishes standing for 10 minutes, I'm on the couch, about to cry. I'm quite lucky to have MTB. Now if I could just quit walking around during the day, I can get back to riding.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Pivoteer
    That's the great thing about biking, it is rather a low impact sport....well unless...you know.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    Copy that. Even with nasty osteoarthritis and most likely a jacked ACL, I can ride dozens of miles. If I do the dishes standing for 10 minutes, I'm on the couch, about to cry. I'm quite lucky to have MTB. Now if I could just quit walking around during the day, I can get back to riding.
    I had a complete MCL tear playing indoor soccer. It took me months before I could run again. I was on the bike within few weeks, they actually recommend bike for rehab...

I am on the bike love fest binge.

I am Walt

First 46 years, including growing up skiing, track, football thru college, running, rock climbing, weightlifting, and some mountain biking - a couple concussions and a few broken bones.

Last two years - torn triceps tendon, torn rotator cuff, shredded biceps tendon, partially torn labrum...and two major surgeries - from two mountain bike falls (not even good crashes).

I'll be back on the bike in two months!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    No sore muscles or joints after bike riding...

NOW, I went for a 20 minute jog-sprints with our dog yesterday. Mind you I don't like running usually. Today my hams and quads are sore.

Same here. I can ride all day long and be tired, but fine. I did a 27 mile loop at South Mtn climbing National to west end and back on DC. Took me and friend 4:30 min of ride time and it was tired. Other than due a crash I was ok afterward. However I did a 10k run around the block and was really sore for 4 days. I have come to the point now where I can run 3-4 miles with minimal soreness, but going past that gets to me. I did a 5.4 mile run this Tuesday and felt it afterward and on Wednesday. Thankfully I was better yesterday, but running is hard on me. I was not winded or exhausted, but needed to stop to my legs. My goal is to be able to run a 10k with minimal soreness and with practice I think I can, but I can bike for hours and never really get sore or in pain.

Swimming is like that too where I can swim for a long time and not really feel it too much. I have started to do triathlons so I need to get to grips with this running deal.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    A tendon in my knee has caused me problems for my entire athletic life. (bmx, skateboarding, football, Army, MTB) It hurts for a couple days after a ride then goes away. It will go away soon enough and then repeat its cycle of annoying me next year. Fun I have on my bike > a little pain.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    After 10-12 runs at Sunrise, Keystone or Winter Park I'm pretty sore. I gym, xc and road ride almost everday.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    I dunno, I did 17 miles with 2900 ft of elevation yesterday and a boss is not what I feel like today.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    I dunno, I did 17 miles with 2900 ft of elevation yesterday and a boss is not what I feel like today.
    How often do you ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Same here. I can ride all day long and be tired, but fine. I did a 27 mile loop at South Mtn climbing National to west end and back on DC. Took me and friend 4:30 min of ride time and it was tired. Other than due a crash I was ok afterward. However I did a 10k run around the block and was really sore for 4 days. I have come to the point now where I can run 3-4 miles with minimal soreness, but going past that gets to me. I did a 5.4 mile run this Tuesday and felt it afterward and on Wednesday. Thankfully I was better yesterday, but running is hard on me. I was not winded or exhausted, but needed to stop to my legs. My goal is to be able to run a 10k with minimal soreness and with practice I think I can, but I can bike for hours and never really get sore or in pain.

Swimming is like that too where I can swim for a long time and not really feel it too much. I have started to do triathlons so I need to get to grips with this running deal.
    I almost did the Xterra dualathon last year in snow valley....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    First 46 years, including growing up skiing, track, football thru college, running, rock climbing, weightlifting, and some mountain biking - a couple concussions and a few broken bones.

Last two years - torn triceps tendon, torn rotator cuff, shredded biceps tendon, partially torn labrum...and two major surgeries - from two mountain bike falls (not even good crashes).

I'll be back on the bike in two months!

You should get a biker's purple heart.

all those injuries in the past two years are from bike falls?

I am Walt

You should get a biker's purple heart.

all those injuries in the past two years are from bike falls?
    Yep...two falls...one on an outstretched arm (torn triceps), and one straight on the top of my shoulder (shoulder stuff)...

Ride more; post less...

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I almost did the Xterra dualathon last year in snow valley....
    I agree that the mtb thing is easy on the body. It suprising because it sure can be rough on the lungs/heart rate. My goal is to ride late in life as well.

Running does work you over pretty good unless you get it in more than once a week. I try to do High Intensity Interval Training every other week (5 full 30 second sprints, with about 2 min cool down). Those just ruin the legs.

Any of you guys do the do the 4 Peaks Urban Dirt Tri? 1/2 mile swim in Tempe Lake, 13 mile mtb in Papago, and 5K Trail run. It was a blast. Will do it again next year. Seems like most folk there cannot mtb worth a dam, so it really did boost the self esteem ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Walt...maybe you need to lay off your Lab product

Give it a crank
    MTB is perfect in so many ways. It offers the right balance of everything. You can fine tune it to yourself. It offers quality time outdoors. It's like the list never ends.

I've dropped many other physical activities but not MTB. Carry a camera and you double it. Some take their SO, their whole family, travel to other states to MTB. A lot of what we have comes from mountain biking regularly.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    That's the great thing about biking, it is rather a low impact sport....well unless...you know.
    Unless you're me?

I'm tired and sore just about every day of my life. More so after a ride. Much more so after Tuesday night volleyball.

Biking is pretty low impact. Running is a completely different set of muscles and hard as hell on the knees. Like my volleyball; different muscles to move yourself forward or jump than to push a pedal down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Unless you're me?

I'm tired and sore just about every day of my life. More so after a ride. Much more so after Tuesday night volleyball.

Biking is pretty low impact. Running is a completely different set of muscles and hard as hell on the knees. Like my volleyball; different muscles to move yourself forward or jump than to push a pedal down.
    Yeah I've been high on the 'impacts' lately. 75% of my rides lately end up with me over the bars. Broke my helmet last time actually. Damn National. But I love it.

Volleyball, you say? I miss playing volleyball. Where did you find a league? I'm sure I can just google it, but just curious.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

No Clue Crew
    Damn National is right. I say that when I even think about it.

I play in a league at the Deer Valley Rec Center on 19th Ave just south of the 101. I do know they have pretty good leagues at the Kiwanis Rec Center in Tempe as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0