mtbr member

Really fast guys and girls

A few year ago (maybe more) I remember going to see some racing out at the mcd competitve loops. To my surprise I saw the likes of Juarez, kabush, Nash and Gould--there were many other pros. Ill never forget how much dust they kicked up as they flew by on each lap, almost like a motorcycle does. Anyhow, does that race series still come through? And if not does anyone know why not? Thanks
    Luke, this is your father's lightsaber. I cut him in 1/2 to get it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I think your talking about the Cactus Cup. I saw it in 1999 which I guess was the last one.

Here is an article on it, I guess they held it in Vegas in 2008:
    Popular Desert Race Makes Comeback | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    It was the Cactus Cup, they use to have it at horse world? then it moved to McDowell Mtn park and changed the name to Nova Desert Classic. I know the last one I went to was 2004 but they could have done it once more the following year.
    the 1997 Cactus Cup was my very first race, I was on a rigid geared bike that weighed as much as I did and I just got my first set of clipless pedals and crashed along the course. I was in so much pain just trying to breath after the race but I got hooked and never stopped.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

mtbr member
    The first Cactus Cup was at Pinnacle Peak in 90 or 91. As I remember you parked in a huge lot at or near the Steakhouse that was there forever. The course climbed over the pass and then circled back. It was a fun little loop. The golf course covers most of it.

Ridin bikes is fun
    In 2008 I think it was the US Cup series made a stop here that included many of the racers you mentioned. They raced the Sport/tech/long loop at McDowell for 3 laps I think. Jeff Kbush took the win for the men.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azmtnruz View Post
    Here is an article on it, I guess they held it in Vegas in 2008:
    Popular Desert Race Makes Comeback | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News
    This was a cool read, thanks!

Also, I learned that Pivot Cycles is based in Tempe. Cool!!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    The first Cactus Cup was at Pinnacle Peak in 90 or 91. As I remember you parked in a huge lot at or near the Steakhouse that was there forever. The course climbed over the pass and then circled back. It was a fun little loop. The golf course covers most of it.
    My first race was there in 90 or 91 (broken chain first lap!). We camped out near the Steakhouse. I went back and hiked pinnacle peak just recently and can't even picture the course.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Surfndav
    2008 sounds about right, thanks. Sure wish they'd put those on again. Those riders were a blast to watch.
    Also got lots of cool old school post from everyone!

Ridin bikes is fun
    https://www.usacycling.org/proxct/ This link is the schedule for the 2016 series. They're not coming here, again.
    2008 was my first of 2 years racing XC. The MBAA raced on Saturday and the Pro race was on Sunday. I still kick myself for not going to see the pro's race.
    In my race that weekend I was one spot off the podium in 6th place………In the beginner mens 40-49 category. I was so close to going pro, kind of close……maybe not that close, but I did have fun that year. I raced every race in the series and was 4th in the point standings at the end of the year. Man how time flies.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

mtbr member
    Ah the Cactus Cup, Brain child of Dan Bazinski. Those were amazing years. My first was in 94. The last year at Pinnacle Peak Patio. The closest thing in AZ we have to it is the Whiskey Off Road. If you want to see the best in the world in your back yard, that's where you need to be.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

recovering roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer View Post
    It was the Cactus Cup, they use to have it at horse world? then it moved to McDowell Mtn park and changed the name to Nova Desert Classic. I know the last one I went to was 2004 but they could have done it once more the following year.
    the 1997 Cactus Cup was my very first race, I was on a rigid geared bike that weighed as much as I did and I just got my first set of clipless pedals and crashed along the course. I was in so much pain just trying to breath after the race but I got hooked and never stopped.
    That's funny man, I call it Horse World, too.

mtbr member
    Funny, I was at the Good Guys car show today. I was showing my wife where the race course went through.

I liked the original Cactus Cup so much, I bought a house out there and had that as my backyard. So much good riding in North Scottsdale, both MTB and road riding.

When they started building Estancia and demolishing the CC course, we (Team TNT) just kept riding out there. We had Thursday night rides from my house. We had the security guards chasing us all over up there as we tried to piece together what was left of our favorite 9 miles of single track.

I always though it was funny, how technical the magazines made the original course out to be. That had such a good vibe, good times. I still have the original Yeti ARC I raced back then, it now hangs on the wall in my bike room. Julie Furtado singed it for me.
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo View Post

I always though it was funny, how technical the magazines made the original course out to be. That had such a good vibe, good times. I still have the original Yeti ARC I raced back then, it now hangs on the wall in my bike room. Julie Furtado singed it for me.
    Picture please!!!!

mtbr member
    Really fast guys and girls-img_0984.jpg

Rockshok Judy!!

Don't even really remember what year it is. 90-92? seems about right. The race moved about then also I think. It had a Yeti ridged fork when I got it. I think they called it a Pepperoni fork?

Man, long, long ago.

At Work
    Judy SL came out in 94/95 if I am not mistaken. This one looks like the second GEN SL.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer View Post
    Judy SL came out in 94/95 if I am not mistaken. This one looks like the second GEN SL.
    Sounds right. This bike was terrible with chain suck. The chain stay was really damaged. I sent it back to Yeti for repair in 94/95/96? They updated the paint to the Troy Lee designs deal. Retired it about then. Went to Ti HT's

My other ride is your mom
    Would rep you for that piece of bad assery, but I have to spread some love around first.