Really?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Really?

bland

No good Really?

Vincit qui patitur
    I was lucky that I didn't see anyone where we camped. Last year up at Blue Ridge there wee plenty of illegal campfires but no way to contact rangers. No cell service and nobody monitoring CB channels.
    It's just a bunch of careless a$$holes.
    It makes me sick that because of jerks like that have caused problems for me 4-wheeling and biking.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2016 KONA Operator
    2017 Salsa Powderkeg
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy 29 C R

mtbr member
    Ticket the crap out of them.

mtbr member
    I'm not so sure it's a matter of being dumb or just not caring. Some folks feel they are entitled to their campfire for their once/per year campout after driving 2 hours to get to the woods. You can't miss the big roadside sign that says no campfires on 180.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I'm not so sure it's a matter of being dumb or just not caring. Some folks feel they are entitled to their campfire for their once/per year campout after driving 2 hours to get to the woods. You can't miss the big roadside sign that says no campfires on 180.
    I think part of it too is the fact that people think they're too good to start a fire. "Oh, I am so responsible that I'd never start a fire...oh sh*t...where'd this gust of wind come from?" Other than the fire that was started by the guy who owned a bunch of fire fighting helicopters, I doubt anybody was trying to start one. All it takes is a momentary lapse of judgement...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Ahhhh, that good old sense of entitlement without concern we have in America.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    on the same page
    Grand Canyon to get DUI checkpoints for holiday

they should just put a big sign on the road "DUI CHECKPOINT AHEAD", then right after it, make a fake road that turns off and suddenly drives right off the edge of the canyon. MEEP MEEP!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    from patrolling all weekend and visiting hundreds of groups, i would estimate that one out of ten groups had a campfire. I was at Bullpen(West Clear Creek) and up to Stoneman Lake each day.
    Professional Trail Builder and Guvmint Employee

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Ahhhh, that good old sense of entitlement without concern we have in America.
    Wait, you expect me to be held accountable for my actions?!
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by justinwp View Post
    from patrolling all weekend and visiting hundreds of groups, i would estimate that one out of ten groups had a campfire. I was at Bullpen(West Clear Creek) and up to Stoneman Lake each day.
    Now that Fossil Creek is out of the equation I bet places like Bullpen are under even more pressure. I helped survey the travertine dams when the powerplant was being decomissioned and I couldn't believe the resource damage. Disturbing to say the least. It's too bad we have to trash what few riparian areas we have in AZ

Vincit qui patitur
    There was sign up this last weekend that Fossil was open to hikers and bikers?
    Vincit qui patitur
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2016 KONA Operator
    2017 Salsa Powderkeg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
    There was sign up this last weekend that Fossil was open to hikers and bikers?
    Camping is prohibited. The road from strawberry is also closed.
    http://www.redrockcountry.org/about-...04-12-02-r.pdf

Dirt Bike Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Now that Fossil Creek is out of the equation I bet places like Bullpen are under even more pressure. I helped survey the travertine dams when the powerplant was being decomissioned and I couldn't believe the resource damage. Disturbing to say the least. It's too bad we have to trash what few riparian areas we have in AZ
    It's unbelievable what people did to that power station. I managed to get inside for some photography & everything of value had been stolen or destroyed.

parenting for gnarness
    we saw a big ROTC group down in West Clear Creek doing a fire last weekend. The danger was pretty minimal, but was surprising that an organized 'establishment' group like that would disregard the ban.

I completely support tickets. Was very cold on Saturday night, but big deal bring a blanket.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by FMX_DBC View Post
    It's unbelievable what people did to that power station. I managed to get inside for some photography & everything of value had been stolen or destroyed.
    You talking about the childs area? Been many many years since I was up there .

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I went camping last weekend with my wife and my dog (we didn't have and didn't see any camp fires) and we had a blast.
    My wife was apprehensive about camping without a fire at first, especially considering the cool temps up in the pines, but I assured her it would be fine.
    We set up camp and pretty much climbed into the tent at dusk because it was actually kind of cold. I can attest to this because every beer out of the cooler was a little more difficult to get as the sun went down. My fingers were FREEZING!!
    We sat in the tent and drank and played games and talked **** and had blast! It was well after 10pm before we finally went to sleep. The next day proved great and the following one as well. It was one of our best trips yet even though my clothes don't smell of camp fire.

We did however set up a camp rock in lieu of a fire. It didn't keep us physically warm, but it was nice just knowing it was there... representing. I poured some water on it when we left just in case. Never leave a camp rock smoldering.

Dirt Bike Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    You talking about the childs area? Been many many years since I was up there .
    Indeed I am

Fossil Creek, Hot Springs & Power Plant 6/20/10-80 by FMX_DBC, on Flickr

Fossil Creek, Hot Springs & Power Plant 6/20/10-138 by FMX_DBC, on Flickr

Vincit qui patitur
    Quote Originally Posted by jadwy916 View Post
    We did however set up a camp rock in lieu of a fire. It didn't keep us physically warm, but it was nice just knowing it was there... representing. I poured some water on it when we left just in case. Never leave a camp rock smoldering.
    I'll try that next time
    We camped below the Rim off Houston Mesa rd.
    Sunday moring had 1/2" on dog bowl.
    We had our pop-up and the heater was on so it wasn't bad at all.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2016 KONA Operator
    2017 Salsa Powderkeg

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The stars are incredible without a fire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hot damn thats a nice pic of the hot springs...Brings back memories of kayaking up from the parking lot and hanging out for hours under a full moon drinkin frosties......

Elitest thrill junkie
    No kidding, you can sit back and watch satellites whiz by, totally amazing.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    No kidding, you can sit back and watch satellites whiz by, totally amazing.
    Or some cool UFO's.

dirt visionary
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The stars are incredible without a fire.
    So is breathing. If campsites are within 100 yards of each other, it should be illegal to light a campfire.

Members who have read this thread: 0