Real time 24HOP posts- Mtbr.com

GO CHAD GO!!!!

("Team" name = Arizona Endurance Series)
"Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

In the rear with the beer
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    Chad is currently running in 6th in the solo SS with 6 laps!

GO CHAD GO!!!!

I should have known the screen name...my bad......I think he should catch tinker! Actually, on the solo group, I'd put my money on Kimo....anyone wanna take that bet??/
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdudecycling
    So, my GF told me no more wine, but then I told her I just found real time 24 pueblo results, so she went to bed....basically leaving me alone with a random bottle of grey goose, and race results to watch all night.....however, being the clever chick she is, she committed us to go for a ride with another couple early in the AM....so i'll probably just touch the grey goose (and the related stupid posts) for another hour or so......
    that is so sweet. *sniff* romance is not dead.
    all i have to look forward to in the morning is Gangi, can you email me some of dat liquor?
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Thought you were at the pueblo CB!!! Believe me, its a costco bottle of GG, intended to be shared! find a wormhold between my hood and yours and we are down...

My GF knew I was committed to the results....but if I can't ride tomorrow she WILL punish me. BTW, if you are looking for a "new" place to ride tomorrow, we're hitting pima/dynamite and my buddy who had the idea is basically gonna set up camp, meaning cooking, grilling, riding, basically a full day at granite mtn...which i bet you haven't done in a while. Come one, come all. If you aren't at the pueblo, pima/dynamiate is the ride tomorrow..its not the ride, its the principal......
    Salvation Outdoor

Okay, this post is wrong, and may get me banned by Paul....but none of the women solo in the lead right now are running under their name so I can't look up what they look like (yeah, I love hot women who can ride 24)......I'm bummed about that.

Fortunately, i bet Paul is riding right now,so Im' safe thru tomorrow.....sexist as it was....serioulsy, I love chick who can ride more than me!!!
    Salvation Outdoor

Walt's crew to 10 as of 11:19. nice

Is this gonna results in another softprn exchance with CB and KC....? Who is KC riding with??
    Salvation Outdoor

Shout out to Marty and his boy!! 54 of 64. Go!!! Allez. Pimpin ain't essy!! Ty needs to know that now!! Good luck guys!!! Good to see you out there. You inspire me. Allez!!! (stop by the CJ coffee stand next week....beer for clydes and selected guests)
    Salvation Outdoor

Ridin bikes is fun
    I'm watching 4 person single seed category. Don of DNA cycles is with Sinners Saints and Single Speeds, they are currently second. Go Don Go!!!!
    Better than most, not as good as some.

mtbr member
    cmon zach !!!!!!(zachary stanford) 15th at 2:08 post. the skinny's guys and girls miss ya

Okay, this post is wrong, and may get me banned by Paul....but none of the women solo in the lead right now are running under their name so I can't look up what they look like (yeah, I love hot women who can ride 24)......I'm bummed about that.
    If you click for lap times it gives you names.

Lynda in SS is beating all the girls, Sarah is going to win geared unless disaster strikes, and I'm rooting for Mary to take back third.

Wonderful women all.

Fragile - must be Italian

Collapse of Beauty and the Beasts

It looks like Walt's team -- Beauty and the Beasts -- has thrown in the towel. Last reported lap was at 2:47AM (now it's 8:20AM):

Real time 24HOP posts

I see Azepic's posting from out at 24 town.....anybody planning to post up periodic updates/stories over the weekend from out there in the desert? It would help guys like skinny and I live vicariously thru you.....and also give us a chance to post "encouragement" from the safety of our nice warms couches.....
      Salvation Outdoor

mtbr member
      I see Azepic's posting from out at 24 town.....anybody planning to post up periodic updates/stories over the weekend from out there in the desert? It would help guys like skinny and I live vicariously thru you.....and also give us a chance to post "encouragement" from the safety of our nice warms couches.....
      I'm not going to think twice about the race (my way of feeling sorry for myself).

(Oh, and warm couch? I wish. This is the first time in 9 years I'm actually taking the SO out for Valentine's Day. Yuck!!!!!)
      Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
      I'm not going to think twice about the race (my way of feeling sorry for myself).

(Oh, and warm couch? I wish. This is the first time in 9 years I'm actually taking the SO out for Valentine's Day. Yuck!!!!!)
      May sorry....my fiance and I actually have the tradition of ordering pizza and hot wings every valentine's day, so I actually kinda look forward to it!! (reason 127 why she got a ring from me a couple months ago!). And it so happens Papa John's is making heartshaped pizzas for v-day...so i can pass that off as romantic
      Salvation Outdoor

mtbr member
      May sorry....my fiance and I actually have the tradition of ordering pizza and hot wings every valentine's day, so I actually kinda look forward to it!! (reason 127 why she got a ring from me a couple months ago!). And it so happens Papa John's is making heartshaped pizzas for v-day...so i can pass that off as romantic
      Does she have an older sister ?

(In all honesty, I'm sure my SO would be perfectly fine with that--with the exception of the wings; she's a vegetarian--but I felt kind of guilty leaving her home alone all these years during "President's Day" weekend while I rode my stupid bike in circles.)

Ridin bikes is fun
      Real time results are being posted for the OP for those of us who couldn't make it but want to follow our friends. This makes me wonder why at the MBAA races we stand around for hours waiting for results. Link below:

http://www.epicrides.com/twofour/24results_live.htm
      Better than most, not as good as some.

And it so happens Papa John's is making heartshaped pizzas for v-day...so i can pass that off as romantic

Hilarious. My wife and I make a point to not do the normal saturated-fat, crowds, and dead plants stuff. We went skiing, had pizza and beer for lunch on the hill, and got ice cream cones on the way home. No I'm in my PJ's not doing homework.

Go Chad! Go Dave H (racing solo SS in Men's Open). Go Lynda! Go Mary and Sarah! (Solo Women's Open should be a good show.) Go Sonya and Jeff! Go Rob! Go Tom!

Damn, everyone's down there.

One of these years I'll do solo SS....

mtbr member
      Walt's B & B are in 13th.

Tinker's a hair over 7 minutes away from the solo lead.

Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
      Whoa, didn't know Tinker was gonna step in this year....I've gotten out of his way before....or to be more precise, his pacer said on your left and I, of course, moved way right......I've got a funny feeling he'll be in the lead by dawn....
      Salvation Outdoor

Anybody know what team Weins in on?
      Salvation Outdoor

Anybody know what team Weins in on?

Ergon Corporate. 4 person team leading in the 5 person 150-199 cat.

Go Sonya!!!!

mtbr member
      Whoa, didn't know Tinker was gonna step in this year....I've gotten out of his way before....or to be more precise, his pacer said on your left and I, of course, moved way right......I've got a funny feeling he'll be in the lead by dawn....
      He's got the lead at the moment.

mtbr member

M&m

How 'bout some love for the M&M team ( de Sierra Vista) challenging Weins and the Ergon Crew?
      Their hanging in there but Ergon is putting up some damn good and consistent lap times.

They need a couple of video feeds...I'd suscribe just for the vicarious thrills.

Go M&M, AES, Dejay, etc.

Cheers,
      Matt

Quote Originally Posted by idaz
      How 'bout some love for the M&M team ( de Sierra Vista) challenging Weins and the Ergon Crew?
      Their hanging in there but Ergon is putting up some damn good and consistent lap times.

They need a couple of video feeds...I'd suscribe just for the vicarious thrills.

Go M&M, AES, Dejay, etc.

Cheers,
      Matt

Amen, bro, I'd totally subscribe to live feeds to the old pueblo over feeds from the tour of california.
      Salvation Outdoor

B&B up to 10th....nice. What are the other local, mtbr locals. (I guess if i actually joined group rides or didnt' vage out on the last quad I would know....but anyway).....

what name is chad running under, I think he's running solo singlespeed?
      Salvation Outdoor

So, my GF told me no more wine, but then I told her I just found real time 24 pueblo results, so she went to bed....basically leaving me alone with a random bottle of grey goose, and race results to watch all night.....however, being the clever chick she is, she committed us to go for a ride with another couple early in the AM....so i'll probably just touch the grey goose (and the related stupid posts) for another hour or so......
      Salvation Outdoor

Is the guy ahead of tinker a regular pro (i don't really follow many races)? His lap times are looking really solid and last lap better than tinkers.....hmmm.....where' etough....wuss afraid of the pueblo?
      Salvation Outdoor

pedaller

1 Chad Brown 1:17:42 PM 1:17:42
    2 Chad Brown 2:45:33 PM 1:27:51
    3 Chad Brown 4:21:03 PM 1:35:30
    4 Chad Brown 5:46:00 PM 1:24:56
    5 Chad Brown 7:43:07 PM 1:57:06
    6 Chad Brown 9:34:31 PM 1:51:24
    Lap NumberRider NameLap Finish TimeLap Duration
    1Walt Lopus1:17:08 PM1:17:08
    2Rodney Marksberry2:32:57 PM1:15:48
    3Jim White3:49:38 PM1:16:41
    4Deanna Gates5:13:29 PM1:23:51
    5Joe Giannotti6:39:11 PM1:25:41
    6Walt Lopus8:05:05 PM1:25:54
    7Rodney Marksberry9:28:24 PM1:23:18
    8Jim White10:55:04 PM1:26:39
    9Deanna Gates12:46:14 AM1:51:10
    10Joe Giannotti2:27:09 AM1:40:54

So Walt...what's the deal? Where's your 3AM night lap (you were up next)? That's part of the 24-hour race ritual...that early early early AM lap...you know, the one that separates the men from the boys.

I figured as captain of your team you would have built a well oiled racing machine. Looks like you all decided to sleep or party instead. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Thx...Doug
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Dude, weak on Walt's part....he just lost points in my mind.....looks like Tinker may not pull it off....30 min back right now....
    Salvation Outdoor

pedaller
    1Chad Brown1:17:42 PM1:17:42
    2Chad Brown2:45:33 PM1:27:51
    3Chad Brown4:21:03 PM1:35:30
    4Chad Brown5:46:00 PM1:24:56
    5Chad Brown7:43:07 PM1:57:06
    6Chad Brown9:34:31 PM1:51:24
    7Chad Brown11:29:00 PM1:54:28
    8Chad Brown2:56:47 AM3:27:47
    9Chad Brown7:46:40 AM4:49:53
    Chad is 1 lap beind Walt's team! GO CHAD GO!!!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Saucy Size
    Paul is in fact not racing, but staying home and celebrating V-Day weekend (rowr!), sleeping in a warm bed, and being an uptight moralist.

I'm sure we'll have plenty of hawt biker chix pix available to us as soon as the race day photographers post up their proofs. I think they're usually searchable by bib #, so you can entertain your pervy post-race fantasies.

p.

Kathleen in AZ

GO CHAD GO!!!!

Woohooo! Looks like our Chad took 4th place with what will be 12 laps!!!!

Tinker 3rd place....glad no one put down any money with me on that one....so how about the local riders!! So how cold was it? (despite my rendevous with gray goose last night)....man was my lady mad this AM)....pima/dynamite has some nice riding!
    Salvation Outdoor

Lets hope for good write ups...especially from walt and crew, since they apparently found something better to do at 3am than ride.....
    Salvation Outdoor

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    It looks like Walt's team -- Beauty and the Beasts -- has thrown in the towel. Last reported lap was at 2:47AM (now it's 8:20AM):

Lap NumberRider NameLap Finish TimeLap Duration
    1Walt Lopus1:17:08 PM1:17:08
    2Rodney Marksberry2:32:57 PM1:15:48
    3Jim White3:49:38 PM1:16:41
    4Deanna Gates5:13:29 PM1:23:51
    5Joe Giannotti6:39:11 PM1:25:41
    6Walt Lopus8:05:05 PM1:25:54
    7Rodney Marksberry9:28:24 PM1:23:18
    8Jim White10:55:04 PM1:26:39
    9Deanna Gates12:46:14 AM1:51:10
    10Joe Giannotti2:27:09 AM1:40:54

So Walt...what's the deal? Where's your 3AM night lap (you were up next)? That's part of the 24-hour race ritual...that early early early AM lap...you know, the one that separates the men from the boys.

I figured as captain of your team you would have built a well oiled racing machine. Looks like you all decided to sleep or party instead. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Thx...Doug
    Jeez...put on blast on MTBR! I was wasted after my second lap, and could not recover or get warm, so I bailed on my night lap...thus setting a bad example for the rest of the team...who also bailed. Rodney picked it up again in the AM, followed by Jim and I.

We were well-oiled, but not necessarily to try to place somewhere high...we had a good time...

Also, note that Deanna's night lap time included a dead battery that she had to swap out, and a 10-15 minute stop to help a guy with a smashed mouth...so probably closer to 1:35-40 ride time...
    Ride more; post less...

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Jeez...put on blast on MTBR! I was wasted after my second lap, and could not recover or get warm, so I bailed on my night lap...thus setting a bad example for the rest of the team...who also bailed. Rodney picked it up again in the AM, followed by Jim and I.

We were well-oiled, but not necessarily to try to place somewhere high...we had a good time...

Also, note that Deanna's night lap time included a dead battery that she had to swap out, and a 10-15 minute stop to help a guy with a smashed mouth...so probably closer to 1:35-40 ride time...
    Yeah, nasty moral crossroads there; stop and help the guy with the missing tooth who was gushing blood and couldn't find the road back (uhh... you're standing on it), or keep jamming and vibing. Ah well... it's JUST MOUNTAIN BIKING. Something I had to remind myself of, when that competitive spirit reared it's head. The battery... that was just funny, stumbling around in the pitch black, changing it blind. But it was a blast. My favorite lap, of the two (well, four, including the pre-riding)

As to bailing on the night laps, it's MOUNTAIN BIKING. When not feeling well, you have to make the call. The RIGHT call, I might add. But even if it had been partying that usurped the riding (which it wasn't... not a drop of alcohol was touched come race-time) you make the experience your own. When our team wanted to hammer, we hammered. When we decided to bail, we bailed. No regrets. We made it our own.

I had a great time. The rigid ss is resting now, recovering. As am I. Big thanks to my well-oiled team, who showed me my first 24 hour race, and made the experience one of friendship, and of reaching-deep when the cold and dark seemed daunting. You taught me about the TRUE spirit of the race, and cooked one HELL of a breakfast. What will stay with me forever (besides the smell of camp-fire smoke) is the memory of the eyes... the look in the eyes of my team members before they went out, and after they returned. That's what it's all about.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

Occidental Tourist
    Chad is 1 lap beind Walt's team! GO CHAD GO!!!
    Nice job Chad!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Not a Barry supporter.
    If we'd have known we were such celebs and people would be watching us....we WOULD have kept going. I was planning on taking the 2:30-3AM lap after Joe finished but I fell back asleep. Oh well, such is life.

My stomach felt better than ever in one of these events. This being my 10th one, I think I've finally nailed the diet.

And my first lap included a flat or it would have been fast. Second lap included some MoFo cutting me off and making me wreck into the back of him. Thus, wrecking havoc on my psych-y, light and front brake.

That's all from me for now...
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Fragile - must be Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    That's what it's all about.
    Umm....apparently you missed the memo. 24 Hour events are all about pain, suffering, digging deep to make it back to camp at 4:30AM when you can't feel your hands or toes, staying awake so long you hallucinate, looking into the depths of your soul to see what stares back, forgetting about the nagging knee/hip/whatever pain that won't go away, fixing broken bike parts in the dark, riding in the blackness when you break your light in a crash, eating pounds of lifeless Gu blocks and other nasty gels, dealing with dozens of nasty saddle sores, riding in stinky clothes, and WINNING.

Did you see "FUN" anywhere in that description? No, you didn't.

Next time I expect more from you.

(this is all in satire if you can't figure that out...but it's not in satire as far as Walt is concerned...he's just a puss)

Thx...Doug

aka Diesel
    You want suffering? Try putting your make-up on in a little bitty mirror, for three days! Try watching your manicure chip away, one nail at a time! Try watching your long hair get so gnarled that you are one step away from dread-locks! And eating so many carbs that you can watch your thighs growing by the hour! Oh I suffered alright... I suffered baaaaaaad...

I dug as deep as I could for somebody new to this. Next year, solo category, and more used to the grind of the solo speed, I will dig even deeper. And don't worry.. when I started having too much fun, my rigid frame made sure to deliver a hot-poker-like jab to my back, reminding me that I was supposed to be nearly driven to tears. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Hey, I got my rush... I'm pleased... I had fun while being miserable. One of our at-home crew members, was texting us updates, and it was a total rush to watch us go from 19th place after Walt's lap, to 10th after mine. WE know we could have waxed-ass the ENTIRE time if we'd wanted... but we had nothing to prove. Heh-heh. Next year, no longer qualifying as a newbie, I will REALLY embrace the misery, and leave the make-up at home.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

vmb
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Injured rider

Does anyone know the condition of the rider that had to be medi vac'ed from the event on Saturday ?

I raced the event (four man team = Ghost Shifters). Our fourth rider was out on his first lap and got to the top of the B's (where the big dip is, B # 6 I think), he came upon a number of emergency personnel taking care of an injured rider. From what I understand, the injuries we serious enough that the person couldn't be taken out by ambulance.

Also, how's the rider on team 411 ? I was in the timing tent waiting to start lap # 2. The staff person who announces the arrival of riders coming off the course asked if anyone from team 411 was present. They said "your teammate has broken their ankle so please step forward". A few minutes later they carried a rider into the tent and started to administer care, so it's obvious it happend just up course. (I don't want tp speculate, but it wouldn't surprise me if the rider clipped one of the large rocks they placed 50 feet before the tent to slow down incoming riders. I ride technical pretty well and I had to pay attention coming into the zone. If a rider was tired or lost focus, it would be easy to clip the rocks).

In spite of the injuries (and there were certainly more than the two aforementioned incidents), the event was great. The weather was much better than the last few years, the vendors were well organized with good service and inventory and the vibe was just great.

poser Administrator
    [rant]I can't believe all the people sitting behind their computers judging people. WTF people? If you weren't there then don't judge the actions of others and if you were there you would understand. [/rant]

my quicky report:

It was f'ing cold. IMO coldest since the inception. The wind was erratic with many laps having what seemed like a head wind on all but the gasline road. The course was fast, real fast like a singletrack paved raced course, but of course this also meant that the course was hard and unforgiving, pounding you every bump and every gully. The combination of blustery wind, high humidity and a fast track conspired to punish a lot of people.

The sky with no clouds drained energy from me every lap, I felt chilled to the bone by the highpoint trail and the head wind up it never seemed to help.

Every lap but my last I thought "what in the heck am I doing out here! I am approaching 40, being passed by 19year old skinny boys on singlespeeds like I was standing still, left a hot babe on Valentine's to sleep in a dirty tent, eat dirty food, be covered with dirt, freeze my ass every lap in Arizona". This was the least positive race for me yet, perhaps my 24hr death knell perhaps just standing on the precipice of not doing it again, but my last lap was awesome and felt great and pulled my back from the edge of having Valentine's day next year with my hot babe by at least one step. Dang.

I hate this race.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    It was f'ing cold. IMO coldest since the inception. The wind was erratic with many laps having what seemed like a head wind on all but the gasline road.
    I'm VERY glad to hear this. Was sitting out by the fire on Sunday a.m., looked at my watch and said to myself "1 hour to go." Then turned to the SO, and said "I hope it was friggin cold last night for the race. I don't think it's fair to have nice weather on the only year I have to miss."

In all seriousness, I'm glad you all had fun, whether you did one lap, or 13...

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by vmb
    Does anyone know the condition of the rider that had to be medi vac'ed from the event on Saturday ?

I raced the event (four man team = Ghost Shifters). Our fourth rider was out on his first lap and got to the top of the B's (where the big dip is, B # 6 I think), he came upon a number of emergency personnel taking care of an injured rider. From what I understand, the injuries we serious enough that the person couldn't be taken out by ambulance.

Also, how's the rider on team 411 ? I was in the timing tent waiting to start lap # 2. The staff person who announces the arrival of riders coming off the course asked if anyone from team 411 was present. They said "your teammate has broken their ankle so please step forward". A few minutes later they carried a rider into the tent and started to administer care, so it's obvious it happend just up course. (I don't want tp speculate, but it wouldn't surprise me if the rider clipped one of the large rocks they placed 50 feet before the tent to slow down incoming riders. I ride technical pretty well and I had to pay attention coming into the zone. If a rider was tired or lost focus, it would be easy to clip the rocks).

In spite of the injuries (and there were certainly more than the two aforementioned incidents), the event was great. The weather was much better than the last few years, the vendors were well organized with good service and inventory and the vibe was just great.

I was also on the lap, followed the emergency vehicle on the B's until they got the rider down, she was on the jump on the 4th B that Todd mentions at the captain's meeting every years. She was on a back board and was being taken care of. When I was finishing and heading down the rock option as I entered the drop I was warned of a rider down at the base and to watch right. I never noticed as I was a little focused on the rock and not joining the rider but immediately after my lap I ran into the organizer and asked him about the rider on the B's. Ends up she possibly broke her shoulder and was to be airlift but she fought against it and eventually they picked her up in a S&R Suburban and drove her to a hospital. The other rider wasn't so lucky with a possible C6 fracture and she was the one airlifted out at around 3pm by S&R helicopter.

That is all.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Plus size jersey model
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    Nice job Chad!
    Thats a dam good looking bike you got there Chad.

Another Broken Spoke
    On the injured riders front, I witnessed the guy crash at the bottom of the rock drop Saturday afternoon. He hit one of the rocks at the exit, well after he had cleared the "hard part", and then rolled over in a pile of dust. It was right there in front of me, and my immediate thought was that he should be fine. But the man was ~62 yr old, and I heard he hurt his shoulder/clavical.

Shortly after 10:30am, a rider crashed on the downhill for b!tch #4, and broke his collar bone. That crash happened right behind me, and in front of my team mate. The injured rider's bike collided with my team mate as it flew up into the air, but my team mate didn't suffer a serious crash. I was well over a mile ahead, before I realized I'd lost my team mate.

My race report:

I started very close to Walt at the run, and we got on our bikes at nearly identical times for the first lap. Being geared, I got slightly ahead of him before the first b!tch, but he passed me when I pinch flatted on second b!tch. Walt finished the first lap 1 minute ahead of me, and it those two brief moments at the start, and the pass, that were the only time's we saw each other, unlike last year, where we had several chances to say hi in passing. Walt, next year, I'm going to have to find out where you camp, buddy. Or come look for me...I'm with the Bitty Bitty group at the base of the rock drop.

Our team (4-man open "Are we dead yet?") did 13 laps officially. We actually did 14 laps, but I didn't want to keep the team waiting on me until almost 1:30pm to do that 14th lap, so I did it in concurrence with my team mate's 13th lap. When you ride the event as a ride, you can do things like that...

Personally, I did 5 laps, 1 team mate did 4 laps, another 3, and the final guy 2 laps. That's exactly the way I expected it to play out, and I think everyone had a great time. I rode as fast and hard as I've ridden my mountain bike in quite a while, didn't crash, and the only mechanical was that early pinch flat, which was the result of my tire gauge being off by 15 psi.

I thought the weather was very nice. Sure it was a little cold, but at least it wasn't raining or snowing. Saturday's start was almost ideal mountain biking conditions. Sunday morning was a tad breezy, and colder, but heck, we are mountain bikers...we are strong.

My Bitty Bitty camp mates took home 2nd place in the 5-person code 200+ category for the 6th year in a row...this time losing 1st place by just 1 minute, being passed at the Power lines of the final lap. With iPhone in hand, we watched as every lap updated, and I feel so bad for them, though I know they each rode as hard as they could...just they came up _that_ (||) short.

I'm looking forward to it again next year.

Tucson, AZ
    The real time feed is always a great way to watch from your house, glad to see that AZ MTBERs are checking in on us from time to time. I think it helps us get out of the back of our car at 4am to do another lap. Thank you! It was great to see everyone, shouts were coming from so many places that it was often too hard to see who was there. Like Yuri yelling at me on my final lap (granted that whiskey shot did not help); I did not even realize it was him until he posted some pics on his blog.

I hope I passed on some kind words to a few mtbers on the trail, I know I got a few "good job man" and "damn, you are hardcore riding rigid ss" comments from time to time on the b!tches.

And Walt, you are still my hero. I wish I could have stayed with you during that 1st lap.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    Nice job Chad!
    hahaha all smiles after a chug of whiskey and knowing that it is all downhill.

Tucson, AZ
    It was f'ing cold. IMO coldest since the inception.
    Last year had colder night laps, IMHO. This year seemed like it was great SS weather.

I am approaching 40, being passed by 19year old skinny boys on singlespeeds like I was standing stil.
    Ahhhhhh thanks, do I really look like I am 19?

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Great race everyone! My SS 4person team (Polish My Dolphin) finished 20th... my first 24hr event, and it was such a blast. I'm sure we'll be back for more punishment next year. One of our riders went down with knee pain after his second lap, so we tried to pickup the slack (unsuccessfully). Man, what a fun weekend.

CoyoteKis - Thanks for stopping and helping that rider (Artie? - something with an A). I was the one behind him when he went down and threw my bike to start helping him immediately. Unfortunately, I had left my phone in the tent... All I was able to do was make sure he wasn't getting hit by other racers and got him water and started to determine how injured he was (asking him if he knew his name, going over checking him out, looking for teeth)... Fortunately, you were on it and took over immediately when you arrived on the scene. The world is a better place because of people like you. Thanks!

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    And Walt, you are still my hero. I wish I could have stayed with you during that 1st lap.
    Too funny...you passed me at first, and I thought, "Well there goes Chad, as usual..." Then I saw you up ahead, and thought, "Aha!...I'm gonna try and catch Chad...because that's CHAD BROWN!!!...and I was digging those socks..." It gave me some motivation to reel you in, and I even shouted that up to you. Then I pulled in behind you and enjoyed chatting a bit, as it dawned on me that A. Umm...he's solo..., and B. My gearing was taller, and that I'd BETTER be able to do one of my few very spaced-out laps faster than you. So I wished you well, and off I went. But I really did enjoy briefly riding with you, and am deeply respectful of your results. Awesome job, Chad...!!
    Ride more; post less...

poser Administrator
    Last year had colder night laps, IMHO. This year seemed like it was great SS weather.

Ahhhhhh thanks, do I really look like I am 19?

everyone looks like their 19 when they are riding singlespeed at night but they look like gods when they are riding solo single speed rigid at night. Nice work. Was there a naked lap this year?
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

poser Administrator
    While I agree that the weather was colder perhaps last year I found that the humidity was higher this year, and coupled with the more intense wind it was much chillier. Last year I made do with just a nylon jacket and warm clothes. This year I purchased a new fancy jacket finally and still was shocked at the bite the cold had.

To put it in perspective I spent 26 years in place with 6 months of winter and with 3 of those below -20F every year and at least 1-2 weeks below -40F so I know cold (although I definitely did not spend anytime there dressed in spandex and expecting to be warm while I rode my bike all night).

I actually found myself wishing it would rain because 2005 seemed much warmer due to the cloud cover that brought the deluges. Guess not much makes me happy except finishing.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

A plethora of pinatas
    Shout out to Marty and his boy!! 54 of 64. Go!!! Allez. Pimpin ain't essy!! Ty needs to know that now!! Good luck guys!!! Good to see you out there. You inspire me. Allez!!! (stop by the CJ coffee stand next week....beer for clydes and selected guests)
    Thanks! Ty and I had a blast!! But, I think I need to go back to Pimpin because I suck eggs on the bike.

We posted a few pics from the weekend up at https://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b...TOP/?start=all

Marty

• Members who have read this thread: 0