Raw frame help- Mtbr.com

Thread: Raw frame help

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Raw frame help

Just had this bright idea that I'd like to change the finish on my Enduro (both the main frame and the triangle). I did a search and didn't come up with much info. It's an aluminum frame. Could I just have it dipped to remove the stock finish? What would I need to do in addition? Where could I get it done locally? Good or bad idea?

sixsixtysix
    Is the stock finish paint or anodized?

If its paint you can do it yourself with some Aircraft stripper from Pepboys. If its ano, then I think you cant do much without compromising the aluminum.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Uh, hmmm, I don't really know. It's a stock 2010 Enduro if that helps. I assumed it was a typical painted finish, but it could be ano I suppose. Is there a way to tell?

Plasko
    Looked powder-coated to me. It doesn't have the typical anodized 'sheen'. 99% of bikes are powder coated these days, especially the high-volume bike like specialized

mtbr member
    If you knew this already please disregard, but I think you will loose the frame warranty if you remove the finish. If I remember Specialized has only one authorized paint shop. I know you said you want to keep it in raw finish, but you might want to check first.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I understand the warranty and am willing to disregard. Anyone with specific insight on this?

Plasko
    Look closely at the finish - if there is any type of 'orange peel' texture on the finish, then its either powder coat (likely) or paint (unlikely). Either way, orange peel will eliminate the possibility of it being an anodized finish.

mtbr member
    If it is ano call Collins metal finishing, they'll de anodize it for you, they did a great job for me when I redid the wheels on my 911
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

Members who have read this thread: 0