dft
    mtbr member

Ranger trail at south mountain, worth it?

I love me some Somo riding, always like checking out new trails.
    I'll be riding 2 days in pheonix and 3 in sedona next week.
    looking at map, I saw Ranger, it drops ~750 feet, is it pretty fun?
    technical, flowy?
    thanks
    Tom

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    It's fun. Only "problem" with it is working it into a ride based on its location. What I typically do is park at the small lot that feeds into Ranger in the main SoMo park. Then climb Ranger up onto National. Then ride as far as you choose either east or west. Turn around and bomb back down Ranger to your car.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    It's fun. Only "problem" with it is working it into a ride based on its location.
    /thread. Fun. Short. And kind of in an odd spot. Ride the west end of natty enough and you'll find a reason to ride it. But not worth planning a trip or a ride around it.

Though now that I'm thinking about it, likely one of the masochist s here has a figure 8 ride involving alta bajada ranger and west natty. Ugh.

Pivotal figure
    Yep! Several of us have done variations of that loop, not really something I'd recommend unless you're really looking for a total beatdown kinda ride I do like to climb Ranger and ride Natl west to the split for mine drop and then either do mine drop (down & back up, solid 25 min hike-a-bike up) or double back from there.That gives a good bit of flowy stuff on Natl (pretty much a steady, mellow descent) before dropping into Ranger for more chunky stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Bendejo View Post
    /thread. Fun. Short. And kind of in an odd spot. Ride the west end of natty enough and you'll find a reason to ride it. But not worth planning a trip or a ride around it.

Though now that I'm thinking about it, likely one of the masochist s here has a figure 8 ride involving alta bajada ranger and west natty. Ugh.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Ranger is cool, both up & down IMO. For a semi-sane long-ish ride from Pima Canyon: Mormon Loop - National to Telegraph Pass - down the road - Up Ranger - Left on National - Right & down Pyramid - left at the bottom & exit to the road - Then either take Desert Classic (using some of the options - Lower Corona de Loma & Secret) back to Pima OR HAB up Telegraph & take the road back to Buena Vista lot & rip down National back to Pima.

That's the great thing about South Mountain, there's so many levels of stoopid rides you can do!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

I love bike!
    I recently did a loop up Kiwanis, cross the summit road, continue up Natty heading west and then descend Ranger all the way. Parked at big lot right after you enter the park and rode Box Canyon and Los Lomitas for access to/from Kiwanis/Ranger. Down Ranger was pretty awesome just wish I had the stones to ride it a little faster. I'm not big on heights so some of the exposure before hitting the road got in my head a bit. After crossing the road you can really let go of the brakes going down Ranger. Definitely some hike a bike up Kiwanis and Natty for mortals like myself. It was only like 6-7 miles but felt like more. I liked the ride and will definitely do it again.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Let me know next time.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

dft
    mtbr member
    thanks guys. one more question while here, how is pyramid trail? a less or more techy type of trail?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by dft View Post
    thanks guys. one more question while here, how is pyramid trail? a less or more techy type of trail?
    Fairly wicked, but really cool. Definitely some exposure and high penalty for failure on a few switchbacks. Most all of it is rideable on the way down, at least for me....and almost all HAB going up!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

I love bike!
    Pyramid will test your switchbacking skillz which I am terrible. I had a hard time getting a good flow going but YMMV. Other than the switchbacks I don't recall any other technical obstacles. It's fun and a fairly long descent.