Thread: Rampage 2.35

zul
    Will Guide for Beer

Rampage 2.35

I've been wanting to give these a try ... any thoughts?

For my xc hardtail I'm looking at trying the Rampage vs the Nevegals which I know and like.

Then there is DTC vs Stick-E. 60grams is the weight difference. Which way to go? I'm switching away from the Panaracer Fire 2.1 Just need more tire.

Thx.
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by zul

For my xc hardtail I'm looking at trying the Rampage vs the Nevegals which I know and like.

Then there is DTC vs Stick-E. 60grams is the weight difference. Which way to go? I'm switching away from the Panaracer Fire 2.1 Just need more tire.

Thx.
    I love the Rampage...both front and rear on my FS trailbike, and front-only on my SS HT. I prefer a WTB Exiwolf on the back of my SS...the Rampage just feels a bit too much there. Otherwise, great tire.
    Ride more; post less...

I love bike!
    Had my eyes on the Rampages as well. Seems like a lot of people like these. Would you say the 2.35 runs close to true size or on the higher/lower volume side? Also, anyone running these tubeless?

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman
    Had my eyes on the Rampages as well. Seems like a lot of people like these. Would you say the 2.35 runs close to true size or on the higher/lower volume side? Also, anyone running these tubeless?
    Yes, they are true size, and I run them tubed on my RIP, but tubeless (on Flows) on the SS.
    Ride more; post less...

Kathleen in AZ

Thx.
    I've been riding Rampages tubeless on my Flow 29er rims for a couple of years now. They work great on our AZ terrain but do suffer from sidewall slices now and then. Mikesee set me up with the newer WTB Stouts for my Lunchbox wheels this summer but tubeless did NOT work at all... the Stouts are heavy duty but are way too loose for tubeless. If you'd like a set of semi-used WTB Stouts to run with tubes, I'll sell you mine for cheap! I just like tubeless too much so will live with whimpy sidewalls of the Rampage until something else comes out.

mtbr member

Thx.
    Hey Zul,

I too have had bad luck cutting up sidewalls on two sets of 29'r Rampages running tubeless on stans flow rims. I have run them both front and rear and love the hook up but am leary of the easily cut sidewalls. I have had great luck running the nevagal 2.20 DTC on the front and the spesh captain 2bliss 2.20 with the armadillo side casing on the rear. I'm a heavy guy at 240 with pack and not a graceful rider. I haven't had any issues since.

Rod
    What if you get scared half to death?.......Twice

Fragile - must be Italian
    I use the Rampage 2.35 on my 29'er HT. As Walt said, it works great as a front tire -- hooks up great in our terrain and rolls relatively well -- but is a bit chunky as a rear tire. So far I have never cut one up and wear has been excellent.

I only run the Rampage's with tubes (my HT is not tubeless...yet). But be careful if you choose to run them tubeless as there have been reports of fitment issues on certain rims. I've had 2 Rampage 2.35 tires on the same rim and one fit tight the other fit loose...which makes me a little leery of them tubeless. However, Stans Arch/Flow seem to work well with them tubeless.

Thx...Doug

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    I've been riding Rampages tubeless on my Flow 29er rims for a couple of years now. They work great on our AZ terrain but do suffer from sidewall slices now and then. Mikesee set me up with the newer WTB Stouts for my Lunchbox wheels this summer but tubeless did NOT work at all... the Stouts are heavy duty but are way too loose for tubeless. If you'd like a set of semi-used WTB Stouts to run with tubes, I'll sell you mine for cheap! I just like tubeless too much so will live with whimpy sidewalls of the Rampage until something else comes out.
    I also have a basically new set of Stouts in the garage. Stans would seep out of the porous holes in the rubber compound. I did get the to seat on my Flows but the Halo Choir Master is still my choice for 29'er tires.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    I tried a Rampage 2.35 on the rear of my Yeti 575 for an Alps trip. I liked very much how light and "pedally" it felt climbing and it hooked up quite well and had enough volume. However, it pinch flatted numerous times and I ended up with over 50lbs of pressure - that seemed to cause it to wear the tread very quickly and there were numerous cuts all over it after two weeks ridng.

As it was essentially dead on my return I threw it back at the shop and they eventually coughed up a new one. Recently put that on my hardtail - same nice light fast feel but pinch flats every ride so ditched it after 3/4 rides. I also noticed that the tread was wearing noticeably and the fabric starting to show on the sidewall already. Very, very loose fit so would not chance tubeless and I would not even consider them for a moment to ride SoMo etc. I would only use it again for perhaps an Enduro event with predominantly peat, dirt or grass surfaces.

I have also Tried Nevegal DTC's (single ply) in the same applications. Bit more durable and much slower running but still somewhat fragile - OK for UK trails but not really up to rocky gnar and again a very loose fit

The Rampage is a nice design but seem to be just too fragile - worth the extra 100 grammes for a Maxxis for rougher AZ trails - more sidewall rubber. I have found the 60a durometer versions very durable but still grippy enough for must situations.
    Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

mtbr member
    I run the Rampage 2.35 on my front and back on my 29er FS (RIP 9). I run the Rampage 2.35 as a front tire on my 29er HT, and the Mavic Crossmax or Ignitor 2.1 on the Rear. Although the rear on my FS wore our somewhat quickly, I think they were some of the better AZ tires I have run. I run all of my tires tubeless, Flows on my RIP9, and Bontrager Rythyms UST with Bontrager Plastic Strips on my Fisher HT.

I thought they had a larger size available in the Fire Pro in addition to the 2.1, is that not the case? How did you like those tires? Are they good, or just a gimmick with cool red striping? Just curious.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

Tucson, AZ
    I am running the Rampages 2.35 on both wheels, tubeless in fact on the SS. Never had a problem/flat/sidewall damage the entire summer, including 2 bikepacking trips, both 3 days. Amazing tires, one of the best I have ever used with a tubeless setup. I have been using them since late April without any problems.

Members who have read this thread: 0