mtbr member

Rainy day trails in Sedona?

Heading out to Sedona later in the week and the weather reports for now are calling for rain of thursday and friday. Are there any trails in the area that are rideable when wet...like Church Rocks & the Boy Scout trails in St George?

mtbr member
    Really most anything unless it dumps really hard. It's the freeze-thaw that turns the trails to mush. Avoid Schuerman Mtn and the west end of airport mesa and Bandit Trail and Winsurfer. Those are not really high traffic trails so probably not even on your radar. If it's really wet out, a unique characteristic of Sedona are the wash rides. Grand Central, Christmas Tree, Girdner. Lots of options.

mtbr member
    Thanks...I've only been to Sedona once and we rode:
    Broken Arrow / Llama / Mystic
    Hi-Line / Slim Shady / Templeton
    Aerie Loop

So as you can see my experience out there is very limited.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I had to go to Flag a few weeks ago for work and brought my bike and it was pouring up there so thought I would try Sedona on the way back as the rain had passed thru. It was a pretty cool but different riding experience. The dirt and trails were in perfect shape and extremely tacky but what I found (especially on the slick rock sections) was that it was hard to follow the trail. I rode hi-line and up top before you drop in down all the chutes I kept finding myself riding off trail because on the slick rock you normally follow the whiter or faded colored rocks but after the rain everything was kind of the same color.

mtbr member
    That sounds like fun to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    ha yeah it was a lot of fun just different. On one hand you have hero dirt so you feel like a million bucks but on the other you feel really sloppy and are constantly second guessing your line choice

mtbr member
    I rode Hangover last week and got drenched wearing a cotton long sleeve...not the smartest thing I've ever done...nor dumbest. But it was awesome seeing and hearing all the water pouring over the rocks and drainage's. Only cell pic I got before my phone and fingers quit working. The traction on the slickrock wasn't actually too bad, except the lighter colored protrusions. Can't remember what that is...the Rockman will knoweth.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by norembe View Post
    I had to go to Flag a few weeks ago for work and brought my bike and it was pouring up there so thought I would try Sedona on the way back as the rain had passed thru. It was a pretty cool but different riding experience. The dirt and trails were in perfect shape and extremely tacky but what I found (especially on the slick rock sections) was that it was hard to follow the trail. I rode hi-line and up top before you drop in down all the chutes I kept finding myself riding off trail because on the slick rock you normally follow the whiter or faded colored rocks but after the rain everything was kind of the same color.
    I agree, I kept riding into fences on private property on Baldwin the day after rain. No idea where to go sometimes without my Garmin.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replies. Looks like the threat of rain has subsided and won't be an issue.