mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Rainbow Rim Trail the first week of June

I may be in that area and wondering if the Rainbow Rim Trail should be ridable the first week of June.

Thanks,

Bill

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by billscurry
    I may be in that area and wondering if the Rainbow Rim Trail should be ridable the first week of June.

Thanks,

Bill

I'd say yes in most areas. There are some of those valleys that it crosses that could still be pretty mushy. It depends on the forecast during the next 3 weeks.

I will be up there the same time (the Kaibab) with hiking shoes and a kayak.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I am thinking of going up that way maybe memorial day weekend. I would like some more info, mostly maps or links to maps. I like to ride the az trail in the kaibob plateau, or maybe rainbow rim. I really have no idea where they are other then on the north rim. I have been told they will be opening this weekend.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyrunner99
    I am thinking of going up that way maybe memorial day weekend. I would like some more info, mostly maps or links to maps. I like to ride the az trail in the kaibob plateau, or maybe rainbow rim. I really have no idea where they are other then on the north rim. I have been told they will be opening this weekend.
    "Opening" the park, yes...rideable trails as of now, none.

Two options for riding: the Rainbow Rim and the Arizona Trail. The GPX for the later is available on bikepacking.net if you want it. For the former, driving down to Locust Point for an overnighter is your best option. There is one option in the park, an out-n-back to Sublime Point (forest road), sweet views.

Link for Kaibab Monstercross and AZT GPX files

I'd rather be biking...
    heres some info of a trip awhile back from mtb bill http://www.mountainbikebill.com/AZ06NRGC1.htm

Tucson, AZ
    One could argue the AZ Trail is better than the Rainbow Rim

Frankly, the drive out to Rainbow Rim is a bit too long to ride the 18 miles of singletrack. I'd rather stay near Jacob Lake and do the Arizona Trail for 2-3 days.

I'd rather be biking...
    Alright spill the guts on this trail. Im heading out that way hopefully in June sometime for rainbow rim and want some more info on this Az trail if you would kindly....

I'd rather be biking...
    wow.....nobody jump on this

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbster15
    wow.....nobody jump on this
    I provided the GPX file. I would do the AZT first, then drive over and do the Rainbow Rim. Both will be an out-n-back. Make sure to stop by the North Rim lodge for some beer and pizza.

You gotta leave some info up to the imagination.

mtbr member
    I like the stretch from Crane Lake or the corral area all the way to FS610. 21 miles or so pt to pt. Good in either direction.

The best camping is near the E. Rim overlook. A fun 24 mile loop you can do from there if you don't mind some road is to head south on AZ trail from the E. Rim. Take it to FR610 and the park boundary. North on FR610 to the 3 way intersection with FR611. Just a bit past the 3-way you can take a left on an old jeep/logging road and drop down to Tater Canyon. Tater is a long, linear valley. Take the faint 2 track until you intersect the AZ trail and take a right and climb out of Tater and back to the E. Rim.
    Last edited by rockman; 05-23-2010 at 09:19 AM.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    I like the stretch from Crane Lake or the corral area all the way to FS610. 21 miles or so pt to pt. Good in either direction.

The best camping is near the E. Rim overlook. A fun 24 mile loop you can do from there if you don't mind some road is to head south on AZ trail from the E. Rim. Take it to FR610 and the park boundary. North on FR610 to the 3 way intersection with FR611. Just a bit past the 3-way you can take a left on an old jeep/logging road and drop down to Tater Canyon. Tater is a long, linear valley. Take the faint 2 track until you intersect the AZ trail and take a right and climb out of Tater and back to the E. Rim.
    We will be doing this route on Sunday if anyone wants to join us.

parenting for gnarness
    hey Chad, do you know of anything with some of those awesome Kaibab views that is bike-trailer or trail-a-bike friendly? trying to add some family camping\riding days after the Crazy88.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    hey Chad, do you know of anything with some of those awesome Kaibab views that is bike-trailer or trail-a-bike friendly? trying to add some family camping\riding days after the Crazy88.
    Hmmm....some of the AZT is pretty skinny as it crosses the meadow. Same with the Rainbow Rim. Making it to the E. Rim View would be a great trip, let me see this weekend on what you could do. I will get back to you.

Members who have read this thread: 0