Rainbow Rim Trail extension- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Rainbow Rim Trail extension

We were up on the Kaibab Plateau last week (May 26-27) to ride the Rainbow Rim Trail and noticed that work has started on the extension. We walked the new -- and still rough -- section; it extends the trail by about 1/4 mile at this time.

There was a work party that started the extension just a few days earlier:

Rainbow Rim Trail extension

More information:

North Kaibab to extend popular Rainbow Rim trail by eight miles - Grand Canyon News - Grand Canyon, Arizona

-db-

mtbr member
    That's awesome. There's not much info on the project, but it's not really an extension per say. That is, more singletrack along the rim that goes to more points and canyon overlooks. My impression is that is is a connector trail to the north and south extents (Timp and Parraswampits) further back from the rim to enclose a loop. Which is a great idea.

Most normal riders can handle the 18 miles of existing trail in one day but a 36 mile out and back is a bit daunting. A 25 or 35 mile loop would be fantastic.

mtbr dismember
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    ...Most normal riders can handle the 18 miles of existing trail in one day but a 36 mile out and back is a bit daunting...
    Ha, ha, ha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    Ha, ha, ha
    Blast from the past. I'd still call 36 miles if done as an 18 mile out--n-back daunting for an intermediate or beginner rider or anyone who's not willing to spend 5 or 6 hours on a bike.

It sounds like the new extension will eventually head north and tie into the existing trail and make a nice 32-mile lollipop loop. http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/11558...LT2_058136.pdf

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Blast from the past. I'd still call 36 miles if done as an 18 mile out--n-back daunting for an intermediate or beginner rider or anyone who's not willing to spend 5 or 6 hours on a bike.

It sounds like the new extension will eventually head north and tie into the existing trail and make a nice 32-mile lollipop loop. http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/11558...LT2_058136.pdf
    I don't see a lollipop there. Moreover the extension of the rim trail just turns inland... not really a rim trail anymore. I am not complaining but I wonder if the money would have been spend better ACTUALLy extending the RIM trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    I don't see a lollipop there. Moreover the extension of the rim trail just turns inland... not really a rim trail anymore. I am not complaining but I wonder if the money would have been spend better ACTUALLy extending the RIM trail.
    That's because it's not done.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Most of the RIM trail isn't really on the rim anyway. The trail is really close, but those huge sweeping Canyon views are intermittent near the overlook points. The trail constantly dives in/out of a multitude of drainages, very fun to ride.

From what I've seen posted the new extension will make a loop back to what's currently there. I forget if it's tying in near Locust Pt. or not.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff