mtbr member

rainbow rim question...

hello folks,

my good friend and I are headed out to moab this upcoming weekend (yay!), and are thinking about making the side trip to go out and ride rainbow rim in the grand canyon, and was hoping for some information. mainly,

1. how far of a drive is it from moab
    2. is the entire trail rideable right now, and
    3. is it safe to assume that weather is decent enough for camping on the rim.

any help at all would be super appreciated.

thanks so much,

daniel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Google Maps puts the distance from Timp Point (Rainbow Rim) to Moab at about 400 miles and about 8 hours.

mtbr member
    If you do it, the fastest (if you rez rock it) and most scenic is from near the rim take 89a South over Navajo bridge. Then go through Page then down to 160 then 160 to Kayenta. If you want the gape factor of Monument Valley go north on hwy 163 to Bluff then 191 up to Moab. To shave a little time continue on 160 then 191 to Moab- but 160 crawls w/ cops. The other way has better scenery and you can go faster. You can do it in about 6 hours. I've done all these highways countless times. And If you go through Bluff stop at Comb Ridge Coffee at the west end of town.

mtbr member
    thanks for the info! 6 hrs is definitely better than 8. so is the consensus that the rim is in riding condition right now. I'd hate to make the trip and then find snow or tons of mud. thanks again...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I think the conditions should be good. There is another thread going on right now here http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=619948
    about the North Rim. From the pictures it looks pretty good.

We were suppose to go up there this weekend also. We would've probably been leaving town right around now actually, but the plans got all screwed up a couple of weeks ago.

Have fun!
    Last edited by jimbowilly; 06-10-2010 at 07:07 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0