Quit messing with Molino basin!!- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    suvlako
    Reputation: suvlako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    514

    Quit messing with Molino basin!!

    On two recent rides down Molino Basin Trail, I noticed tha someone went crazy doing trail maintenance. While I always appreciate someone taking the proverbial bull by the horns and volunteering, this person went bananas!! Not only did they thin out vegetation(which I appreciate), but they removed rocks where they shouldn't have and they put rocks where they shouldn't have in an attempt to make the trail easier. On top of that they did a real shotty job of erosion control. If you can't clean a section, then try harder or go ride something easier. This used to be my favorite short ride and now I don't want to go back...

    Anyone else bummed about this?

  2. #2
    caninus xerophilous
    Reputation: SunDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,741
    Quote Originally Posted by suvlako
    On two recent rides down Molino Basin Trail, I noticed tha someone went crazy doing trail maintenance. While I always appreciate someone taking the proverbial bull by the horns and volunteering, this person went bananas!! Not only did they thin out vegetation(which I appreciate), but they removed rocks where they shouldn't have and they put rocks where they shouldn't have in an attempt to make the trail easier. On top of that they did a real shotty job of erosion control. If you can't clean a section, then try harder or go ride something easier. This used to be my favorite short ride and now I don't want to go back...

    Anyone else bummed about this?
    And how!

    We ran into the five person "work crew" in late December. They were most definately not MTB'ers. Their leader really gave us the business for tearing up the trail and ridiing so fast and out of control as to be a hazard to other users.

    Of course none of his rant was grounded in reality, he was probably venting his negative perception of MTB'ers. So we brushed him off and struck up a conversation with his crew. We did not push into their legality, they could have just said anything and we would have had to take it at face value. Given that it was broad daylight and their observable proximity to the camp graound and road, as well as their heavy cashe of trail tools, they likely had permission.

    They were engaged in shoddy erosion control and into trail widening, which we discovered as we left them and decended farther down the trail. We let them know that MTB'ers were also responable for the much of the trail work in the area and that we felt that the trails were safe and sound in their present state, with the exception of the erosion control on Molino.

    They were an older crew, 50ish, and they were knowledgeable of nature. At first I assumed they were hikers/naturalist, but after seeing the widening further down the trail I now think they were equestrians widening the trail for equestrian tourism. Like it or not, we have to eat from that sandwich. Mainstream multi-use trails on public land are for everyone to use safely, which is probably their justification to widen and santize the trail.

    Thats an awful tasting sandwich!

  3. #3
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,476
    bastards......
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: helimech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,814
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDog
    And how!

    We ran into the five person "work crew" in late December. They were most definately not MTB'ers. Their leader really gave us the business for tearing up the trail and ridiing so fast and out of control as to be a hazard to other users.

    Of course none of his rant was grounded in reality, he was probably venting his negative perception of MTB'ers. So we brushed him off and struck up a conversation with his crew. We did not push into their legality, they could have just said anything and we would have had to take it at face value. Given that it was broad daylight and their observable proximity to the camp graound and road, as well as their heavy cashe of trail tools, they likely had permission.

    They were engaged in shoddy erosion control and into trail widening, which we discovered as we left them and decended farther down the trail. We let them know that MTB'ers were also responable for the much of the trail work in the area and that we felt that the trails were safe and sound in their present state, with the exception of the erosion control on Molino.

    They were an older crew, 50ish, and they were knowledgeable of nature. At first I assumed they were hikers/naturalist, but after seeing the widening further down the trail I now think they were equestrians widening the trail for equestrian tourism. Like it or not, we have to eat from that sandwich. Mainstream multi-use trails on public land are for everyone to use safely, which is probably their justification to widen and santize the trail.

    Thats an awful tasting sandwich!
    Ya we were a bunch of hooligans that day SD! good thing they didn't see you flipping them off you out of control rider, they would've come after you with the tools. Psych.
    SHITBIRD

  5. #5
    I bike, I brew
    Reputation: wurensh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    190
    Agreed with the previous posts - trail maintenance is a given, but one groups' desires is another groups' bane. The same thing is happening on the Deer Camp crossover to Baby Jesus (which I'd say is mostly beneficial), and then the Baby Jesus descent (which mostly sucks) - some of the techy sections are now cleaned out, and in at least one case, a *nasty* reroute has been put in that will end up (very quickly) being even worse that the rutted out turn they were trying to go around - and absolutely no effort to address the rutted out section (track water away to avoid further ruttting, plant vegetation or place rocks or water bars to slow erosion, etc.).

    But... yes, this will be an increasing issue - eating from the same sandwish.

  6. #6
    caninus xerophilous
    Reputation: SunDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,741
    Quote Originally Posted by wurensh
    Agreed with the previous posts - trail maintenance is a given, but one groups' desires is another groups' bane. The same thing is happening on the Deer Camp crossover to Baby Jesus (which I'd say is mostly beneficial), and then the Baby Jesus descent (which mostly sucks) - some of the techy sections are now cleaned out, and in at least one case, a *nasty* reroute has been put in that will end up (very quickly) being even worse that the rutted out turn they were trying to go around - and absolutely no effort to address the rutted out section (track water away to avoid further ruttting, plant vegetation or place rocks or water bars to slow erosion, etc.).

    But... yes, this will be an increasing issue - eating from the same sandwish.
    Yeah, the Baby J route from the Cat S.P. always gets love from the equestrians this time of the year. Sadly the more rocks that get pulled from the trails like Baby J or La Milagrosa, the more erosion becomes an issue.
    Last edited by SunDog; 01-26-2009 at 07:51 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.