mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Quick Deem Hills Question

I'm going to take a quick ride tomorrow a.m. on Deem Hills. What's the best route to take starting off from Deem Hills parking lot? Should I start riding clockwise, or counter clockwise? This will be my first time riding it since it has been finished.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Clockwise....I suspect that will be the universal answer. Going counter, there is a very steep and loose section in your way up......clockwise, it's on your way down......

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thank you. That's what I needed to know.

mtbr member
    +1 on clockwise! Even better on a singlespeed

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fattirebliss
    Even better on a singlespeed

^^^Too crazy for me. Not even close to be in good enough shape for that.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Quote Originally Posted by induction
    I'm going to take a quick ride tomorrow a.m. on Deem Hills. What's the best route to take starting off from Deem Hills parking lot? Should I start riding clockwise, or counter clockwise? This will be my first time riding it since it has been finished.

what time? I was thinking aobut doing it myself. maybe I'll see you on the trail. I don't know what time I'll head out yet but probably after 11am.have a good ride.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Gonna be starting real early...probably 5:45-6:00a.m. Be glad to have the company if you can make it that early, but if not I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by induction

I just finished up riding the area, fun place. more riding than I thought there would be, too bad I rode up all the big climbs the wrong way making it harder. I see this as a great night ride spot, I tried doing the TT that's been set up and boy am I out of shape, I had trouble breathing on the first small climbs. I was way slow and will give it a go when I feel better. try it people, it's fun.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member
    I must have seen you guys this am around 645? on white FS 29er HIFI.
    Sorry I didn't stop for a minute and intro myself. Was on a quick WOR training ride before work. Only 2 weeks out for the pain and party fest

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RobZona
    Sorry I didn't stop for a minute and intro myself. Was on a quick WOR training ride before work. Only 2 weeks out for the pain and party fest

No worries man, it wasn't me. I didn't even get a chance to go today due to the little one waking up at 5 a.m. screaming her head off. Going to try again tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by RobZona

wasn't me, I don't do F/S or gears.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    So I heard lots of great things about Deem so my buddy and I went to give it a shot. Looked at the trail map and I think we went the wrong way because we took the a whole lot of uphill that completely killed both of us.

Where about in the park is the trail entrance everyone is recommending? This is the closest trail to my house and I had a ton of fun going down..just don't want to do that grueling climb again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgeball2d View Post
    So I heard lots of great things about Deem so my buddy and I went to give it a shot. Looked at the trail map and I think we went the wrong way because we took the a whole lot of uphill that completely killed both of us.

Where about in the park is the trail entrance everyone is recommending? This is the closest trail to my house and I had a ton of fun going down..just don't want to do that grueling climb again.
    There's no real way to ride Deem Hills without a major climb. The easier way is to go north from the parking lot and ride clockwise to the top. Then you can decide which way you want to go.

Those climbs killed me as well but those are the hills that got me in shape in just a matter of a couple months. Keep at it and you'll be climbing them with relative ease.

The British ClimbMinister
    The difficult way is to go counter-clockwise. The easier way (still requires a climb right away) is to go clockwise - the trail entrance is off the concrete track alongside the first soccer field. For the gentlest climb, ride the concrete track alongside the soccer fields; turn left to ride behind the last goal and off to the right is a single track that heads through the construction site towards the dirt road that follows the canal; take the dirt road right (requires a climb up and then a long gentle down). This takes you to what used to be called Trail 4 (now just part of the Circumference Trail) which is a gentler climb up to the saddle. If you miss the Trail 4 entrance you should end up at the East Trailhead which gives you steeper climb up what used to be called Trail 1.
    Be nice to nerds. Chances are you’ll end up working for one.

mtbr member
    I like to start from the TH at the park and go CW to the saddle. Getting to the saddle means the switchbacks and it looks really tempting to go left and down. You can but this adds distance (if you are just starting out) and then a longer climb. From the saddle I take the circumference trailon the south side east bound (and down) for a little while then it climbs again. It rewards you with some fun and zigzag single track then some fun down hill to the east side of the mountain where you link up with the aforementioned "left hand" option from before, up to the same saddle and down the south west circumference trail. Basically a figure 8. I don't remember the trail numbers and never do, so I don't really bother- sorry. This gives about a six mile loop with a little bit of everything and is a great trail for beginners and experts alike. It is one of those trails that if you want to up the tech/pucker factor- just go faster.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    if you are going up to the Deem Hills area and want less climbing, try the large trail area across the canal. Cross over the 51st ave bridge and ride toward the peaks at about 10-11 o'clock. Lots of good singletrack, jeep roads, and old motorcycle trails. There are some very sandy/narrow washes, but can be avoided after you learn the area.
    I've ridden out there for years and still finding "new" trails. I occasionally ride the area in winter and summer nights with groups.

Just a warning
    ---there are many trails out there and can be confusing at times.The canal can only be crossed at 51st ave, or get around it a few miles to the west(it goes underground on the west side). I say this, because with the hot weather now, I always tell newbies to be careful, take note of the landmarks to get out, and carry plenty of water and don't panic out there.
    A moto dirt rider ran out of water, got confused, panicked, and died riding those trails a few years back.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hey, has anyone noticed those "bypasses" that are at the top of the large hill (taking a right up the switchbacks and ridign down to the saddle). What's up that? Must have been put in some time when the contractor was finishing the last trail and recontructing some of the drains.

Are those bypasses really needed? Well, in the direction I go (up the switch backs toward the west, down to the saddle south) they aren't since it's not too difficult to ride down those steep sections, but I could see it a problem going up the other direction (maybe that's why I never liked going that way).

Isn't it an implicit admission that maybe the bypasses should have been the original trail? Just wondered what everyone thought of those...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The "bypasses" on the north side were put in at least two months after the original trail was cut. I suspect that they were placed to correct a drainage issue, or, more likely to lessen the grade in those areas. It seems evident that the contractor tried to keep the trail limited to a certain degree of slope, and those areas were out of spec.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Anyone riding deem hills on Sunday morning? I haven't ridden in 10 years and just go a new 29er. I was told the best way is to park on the eastside trailhead off of Pinnacle Vista and head west on trail 4. Looking at the map, it is relatively flat to the north then you start your climb to the south and heading back down on trail 3 to trail 2 then to 1. Is this a mild ride? I am asking to make sure I don't over due it the first day.

Also seeing if there are any ride groups on the west side I can join. I got a couple of friends, but they will not be riding as often as I will be.

Thanks,
    Tom

mtbr member
    Tom, if you rode Deem Hills today, what did you think? The trails across the canal are also good with less climbing. If you have lights, we ride DH on Tues nights 630.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RobZona View Post
    Tom, if you rode Deem Hills today, what did you think? The trails across the canal are also good with less climbing. If you have lights, we ride DH on Tues nights 630.
    Hey Rob,
    I got a late start this morning, so I decided to ride White Tanks, I didn't get there until 11:15 and it was already 96 degrees. I was only able to ride the southern loop but that was more than plenty for me. I need to get in shape. I probably would have died on Deem. I hope to ride more at night around my house on my hybrid to help with my stamina. Wish I could make it for the Tuesday DH but I work in Tempe and won't make it there in time.

I plan on riding Deem next Saturday morning though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tom.a014 View Post
    Hey Rob,
    I got a late start this morning, so I decided to ride White Tanks, I didn't get there until 11:15 and it was already 96 degrees. I was only able to ride the southern loop but that was more than plenty for me. I need to get in shape. I probably would have died on Deem. I hope to ride more at night around my house on my hybrid to help with my stamina. Wish I could make it for the Tuesday DH but I work in Tempe and won't make it there in time.

I plan on riding Deem next Saturday morning though.
    Deem Hills has a lot of climbing and might not be ideal yet if your are getting back to riding. Always better to rebuild the stamina/endurance first before attacking serious climbing. Where are you riding from and when? I ride mtb and road from Stetson Hills/Valley. Maybe I can catch you on some rides and hook you up with some riders in the Deem Hills area that would be on your level.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Is there a map for this area on here somewhere? I have used the search function and have yet to come across a map or a link to one. The words are helpful but somewhat confusing. Went out there this weekend for the first time and am convinced I probably went the wrong way at a lot of turns. TIA.

No Clue Crew

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Only been there once, by myself and ended up doing counter clockwise... lots of climbing... did a bit of walking too.

Wondered why people were looking at me funny trying to ride up it.

No Clue Crew
    There's lots of climbing any direction you go. I like making a figure 8. Start from the SW parking lot by the soccer fields. Go north around the mountain and up to the saddle. Then as you start down take that little left. You'll head to the SE corner then back up. Go all the way around or take one of the shortcuts back to the saddle and back down to the lot. It's not a much for technical challenge but for as few miles as there are it's got quite a bit of altitude

Rides the Desert
    Quote Originally Posted by Odii View Post
    Only been there once, by myself and ended up doing counter clockwise... lots of climbing... did a bit of walking too.

Wondered why people were looking at me funny trying to ride up it.
    IDK why most people seem to like going clockwise. I could see that to be much better if you are going around the large mountain only, but I like the 6 mile circumference loop. There is that 100 yard climp to the saddle that is very steep and rocky. Besides that which is really difficult(but walkable), when doing the whole circumference loop and nothing but it I will go counter-clockwise. An alternate route with better climbing that I will take in order to get to the top of the mountain (from the fields) is to get on the circumference trail and go right, take circumference trail along the south side of the mountain to the saddle, and then take ridgeline to the peak. After this I find it is best to take the same route back down to the park.

Deem hills is essentially my home trail. I can get there in about 8 minutes riding my mtb from my house. I know the area very well so sorry if I use names you dont know. Ask me any questions you have about deems, or the desert to the north of it which many people refer to as Africa. (doesnt resemble Africa)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So which one of you guys are night riding Deems? Saw a bunch of lights mid week. I'm staying on the SE corner of the mt.

Members who have read this thread: 0