Questions about tires in AZ and saddles- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ECEGatorTuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    817

    Questions about tires in AZ and saddles

    I had two different questions so I was hoping I could get some opinions.

    I have Continental Race Kings 2.2 29er tires on my Cannondale currently (it is what came with it) and I have them setup as ghetto tubeless using the split tube method. What do people think of these tires for AZ terrain... specifically desert riding with the occasional run around the White Mountains?

    I was looking at the Geax Saguaro 2.2 29er tires and some people have given them fantastic reviews. Does anyone recommend these for AZ riding? Also, do they do well with a ghetto tubeless conversion? should I do both front and back or are there other combinations that are recommended?


    My other question was regarding saddles. I rode the 35 mile course for TOWM recently and I had never ridden that many miles before in one shot so needless to say, cetain areas of the male anatomy are experiencing numbness even after a few days. Never had that happen before but after reading some, it looks like I probably have the saddle positioned wrong but it's also the stock one that came with my bike. I've heard many people talking about the saddles with the cut-outs but I've never tried them.

    Can anyone provide any recommendations for saddles to try and how to tell if they are really a good fit? Also, how long does the numbness usually last? I'm starting to get worried that it's been 4 days now although it feels like it might be getting slightly better.

    Sorry for asking two questions in a thread... I apologize if this is against the forum rules and I can split them out if it's a problem.

  2. #2
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,240
    generally, and this is very general, you'll find 2 camps for tires here - sand and a little rock, or rocky gnary Somo stuff. The Saguaro, WTB exiwolf, kenda small block 8 and similar tires with many small points are pretty good for the more XC\less tech type trails like hawes, DC, McDowells, White Mtn. Bigger nobs like the Kenda Nevegal, Maxis Ignitor, Panaracer tend to be more preferred for tech riding. Sidewall thickness is also tied to how rocky you are riding. the hard or softness of the rubber will affect grip on rock and life expectancy.

    WTB's website tend to be good for showing tread profiles and suggested usages.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ECEGatorTuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    817
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    generally, and this is very general, you'll find 2 camps for tires here - sand and a little rock, or rocky gnary Somo stuff. The Saguaro, WTB exiwolf, kenda small block 8 and similar tires with many small points are pretty good for the more XC\less tech type trails like hawes, DC, McDowells, White Mtn. Bigger nobs like the Kenda Nevegal, Maxis Ignitor, Panaracer tend to be more preferred for tech riding. Sidewall thickness is also tied to how rocky you are riding. the hard or softness of the rubber will affect grip on rock and life expectancy.

    WTB's website tend to be good for showing tread profiles and suggested usages.
    So I generally ride Hawes and Santan because they are near my house. I've only ridden DC once but I would like to get out to SoMo more often (just haven't had a chance and don't know my way around the trails). So you're saying that what I ride is considered XC and the Saguaro would make a good tire? I'm wondering how good the sidewalls are on these especially since I will be going to do ghetto tubeless.

    What about saddles?

  4. #4
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,298
    I've run the Saguaro for the more XC stuff and they are great on the loose stuff. I found the sidewalls to be a bit beefier than some of the lighter weight WTB's (MutanoRaptors, Exiwolf) which so are great for the XC stuff around here. The tread is not as sticky as WTB's in similar tread configurations...so they were not as good on rockier terrain...but did a great job at holding a line in the soft stuff. When I did take them onto rockier terrain, I never had a problem with the sidewalls. I'd buy the Saguaro again for that type of riding...bottom line.

    As for saddles....I think it's just a "getting your crack used to long distances" thing. If the TOWM at 35 miles is the most you've done in one sitting...then perhaps you just need to keep working at it...building up your tolerance. When I started riding, it took a while to get my arse conditioned for long distance riding. With that being said....everyone's arse is different....I don't think anyone can recommend a saddle which will be better for you. You may have to try several. Sometimes, a saddle will just not work...but only you can make that call.




  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ECEGatorTuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    817
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I've run the Saguaro for the more XC stuff and they are great on the loose stuff. I found the sidewalls to be a bit beefier than some of the lighter weight WTB's (MutanoRaptors, Exiwolf) which so are great for the XC stuff around here. The tread is not as sticky as WTB's in similar tread configurations...so they were not as good on rockier terrain...but did a great job at holding a line in the soft stuff. When I did take them onto rockier terrain, I never had a problem with the sidewalls. I'd buy the Saguaro again for that type of riding...bottom line.

    As for saddles....I think it's just a "getting your crack used to long distances" thing. If the TOWM at 35 miles is the most you've done in one sitting...then perhaps you just need to keep working at it...building up your tolerance. When I started riding, it took a while to get my arse conditioned for long distance riding. With that being said....everyone's arse is different....I don't think anyone can recommend a saddle which will be better for you. You may have to try several. Sometimes, a saddle will just not work...but only you can make that call.
    Thanks for the tire recommendations...

    As far as the saddle questions... it's not just soreness. I've had numbness in some very important male areas (in other words, my wife would also be worried) that has been very uncomfortable . I definitely expected soreness but the numbness indicates to me either nerve or circulation issue caused by the saddle pressure on the perineum for an extended period of time.

  6. #6
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,339
    The Rocket V saddle is popular. I like mine.

    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/controls/sad...74_140crx.aspx


    there is also a spay and neuter clinic on most weekends at the Humane Society

  7. #7
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,091
    If you're riding a 29er, my favorite general-duty AZ tires are (roughly in order): Maxxis Ardent, Geax Saguaro, Panaracer Rampage.

    Saddles are super-personal. I really love the WTB Silverado, but a lot of folks don't.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    808
    Some shops have a test fleet of saddles... I know Estrella Mtn does but alas wrong side of town for you.

    Tire wise I would use what you have until you cut one.. LOL I run a rampage inthe front and a saguaro out back seems to be pretty good.

  9. #9
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,240
    i ride exiwolf and geax saguaro on hawes. I prefer the exiwolf. that trail is not a big threat for sidewalls, compared to Somo etc.

    for saddle, before getting too fixated on the saddle, make sure its level and your sit bones are on the padding. your lean on the bars\rise amount can also affect how your junk sits on the saddle horn. If you're fit right, then check around on some different ones. I have a fitzik gobi on my enduro bike and love it. the WTB saddls tend to have nutsack pockets. I refuse to call anything on a saddle a love channel, there are much more appropriate uses for that term.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3

    geax saguaro

    I ride the Geax Saguaro's on a single speed 29er and they are a good cross country tire. I would not buy them again only because they are so tight. I don't think I could get them off out on the trail. I dont know if anyone else has this problem but they are my first tubeless 29er tires but I run Kenda Tomacs on my 26 and they are real easy putting on and taking off.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ECEGatorTuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    817
    Thanks for the tips everyone... I went to Performance a little while ago and I bought the Saguaros and a WTB Rocket V to try out. Hopefully everything works out.

  12. #12
    Master Gardener
    Reputation: Velokid1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,347
    I don't have time to read the whole thread so far but I do see that some people have plugged the Saguaro. I don't mean to step on their toes (and every tire performs differently in different conditions), but for here in Prescott, the Saguaro I just mounted on the front of my bike a few weeks ago is awful.

    I'm a guy who is annoyed by people fussing over their bike fit, frame geometry, tires, brakes, saddles, stem length... I just get on a bike, adjust my riding style to it and go. But I gotta say, the Saguaro is the worst performing tire (for Prescott) I've ever ridden. I'd rather ride a Ritchey WCS Semi-slick circa 1999.

    My last set of tires were the Exis and they were pretty awesome, except for the somewhat thin sidewalls.

  13. #13
    I love bike!
    Reputation: dsittman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,157

    Hope you don't mind me asking but...

    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro
    Thanks for the tips everyone... I went to Performance a little while ago and I bought the Saguaros and a WTB Rocket V to try out. Hopefully everything works out.
    Which model Rocket V did you get (Pro, Race, Stealth, etc) and how much? Did they even have different models or was the one you got the only type of Rocket V? Think I'll be in the area tomorrow and was interested in possibly getting one myself.

    Kinda interested in getting one there since I think they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee deal on all purchases or money back. With saddles being so iffy thought this might be a good place to get one.

    Thx in advance!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    808
    All the Rocket's are the same except the cover material and rail material.. Not sure the exact models but I have both a ti railed one with real leather and two bottom of the barrel $35 OEM ones and they are identical except for weight.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ECEGatorTuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    817
    Well, I'm going to give the Saguaros and the Rocket saddle a test tonight... riding Hawes in a little bit for some night riding. I'll let you know how it goes.

  16. #16
    I'm with stupid -------->
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro
    Well, I'm going to give the Saguaros and the Rocket saddle a test tonight... riding Hawes in a little bit for some night riding. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Keep the pressure low and it hooks up fine, too high and it won't just like Ignitors.

  17. #17
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    I don't have time to read the whole thread so far but I do see that some people have plugged the Saguaro. I don't mean to step on their toes (and every tire performs differently in different conditions), but for here in Prescott, the Saguaro I just mounted on the front of my bike a few weeks ago is awful.

    I'm a guy who is annoyed by people fussing over their bike fit, frame geometry, tires, brakes, saddles, stem length... I just get on a bike, adjust my riding style to it and go. But I gotta say, the Saguaro is the worst performing tire (for Prescott) I've ever ridden. I'd rather ride a Ritchey WCS Semi-slick circa 1999.

    My last set of tires were the Exis and they were pretty awesome, except for the somewhat thin sidewalls.
    Both the Exi and Saguaro seem bald to me, I can't really tell any difference between em.

    I have a 2.8" on my DH bike...now THERE is where the traction is at.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  18. #18
    Master Gardener
    Reputation: Velokid1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,347
    The palms of my hands are sore after rides because I have to put extra weight over the front to get it to hook up.

    The Exiwolfs seemed pretty sketchy (especially the front) when I first switched from Nevegals, but I was able to get used to it and ride as kinda-fast as ever. But the Saguaros... sketch. In fact, I'd be up for a trade if anyone out there wants to. I have one Saguaro with 3-4 rides on it and another brand-new Saguaro I won at the Whiskey.

    Greg

  19. #19
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,339
    captain s-works work for me.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.