Question about trail-a-bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Question about trail-a-bikes

So me and my roommates were trying find out if it is possible to connect several trail-a-bikes to one real bike to make a 5 or more person bike. Heres the questions:

Will this be too much pressure on the seat posts?

Can an adult ride on one of these trail-a-bikes?

Has anyone tried this?

Does anyone have trail-a-bikes we can borrow in flagstaff Oct. 25th during the day?

Professional Amateur
    This thread has potential

mtbr member
    Are your roommates midgets? If so are they single?

mtbr member
    No. me and my roommates are normal sized and guys. We need an epic awesome bike for a huge drunken bike parade and this is the coolest thing we could think of.

pedaller
    keep drinking....errrr...I mean thinking.....
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

pedaller
    The answer to your question is no, yes, no & no. Not unless you can find 3+ foot-long seatposts to hook each subsequent bike to....

Besides, these things are like gold, I don't see anyone willing to share with a bunch of drunkards in a parade...

Cookin' in AZ

How about a couple of tandems

How about a couple of tandems like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This space intentionally left blank

mtbr member
    I think a 5 person bike with 5 pivots and all those wheels is going to be hard to ride.

Those things really aren't meant for adults, but I'm sure if enough alcohol is involved it should be ok. I think some even have a weight limit, which you might want to look into if you're borrowing them.

I'd like to offer a suggestion as well.... you 5 should wear capes and maybe beer helmets, or if you want to be real classy like, wino camelbacks.

pedaller
    Quote Originally Posted by Berge
    How about a couple of tandems like this?
    What's funny with the TANDEM trail-a-bike is the Adams owners' manual for the thing:

The Tandem Trail-a-Bike has been designed to carry two children with a maximum combined weight of 125 lbs
    For the Tandem Trail-a-Bike we strongly recommend the lead rider to be at least 200 lbs to ensure proper control of the lead bicycle
    Basically you need to maintain a 2:1 ratio for the lead bike. That's not going to work with TWO tandems!!!

http://www.trail-a-bike.com/download...anual-2008.pdf

mtbr member
    So your saying the front bike will wheelie and flip over, didnt really think about that one. I guess the regular bar chopper will have to do, the rest of the roommates will have to find there own.

Cookin' in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdoc132
    So your saying the front bike will wheelie and flip over, didnt really think about that one. I guess the regular bar chopper will have to do, the rest of the roommates will have to find there own.
    I don't think the lead bike will wheelie, the bar that connects to the seatpost will prevent that. I don't know if the seatpost could take the stress of pulling that much weight.

It could be that the trail-a-bike makers want to discourage lawsuits from people who have the same idea as you do.
    This space intentionally left blank

mtbr member
    Here is one every one can ride
    Last edited by shadowrider; 07-01-2009 at 10:36 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0