Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    dft
    dft is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,194

    Question about Pheonix trails

    Hi

    I had a question about Pheonix riding. I'm doing 2 days in Pheonix, 2 in Sedona in march, ridden both a few times. I love the tech in pheonix (somo, goat camp). looking for some new stuff. It sounds like gold canyon is a fun spot. Is there a good section of BCT or AZ trail, point to point route, shuttle that has a net down (with good climbs, descent sections). Just don't want flat, meandering type of terrain.
    Thanks!
    Tom

  2. #2
    STEEL IS REAL
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,914
    You can loop all around in Gold Canyon with minimal sustained climbing. Both BCT and AZT have sections of sustained climbing. Maybe do an out-n-back on AZT from Picket Post to the lookout, or the Little Pan Loop on BCT from Black Canyon City. Both great rides.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

  3. #3
    dft
    dft is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,194
    thanks. maybe I worded wrong, I don't mind long substained climbs, just don't want much flat riding. I see the picketpost section is 36 mile has 6000 of up, 6600 of descent! that would be a big day. anyone know if possible to just go from picketpost to where it hits gila river (20 miles), looks like there is a dirt road there you could drive to?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,897
    Picketpost to the Gila and back is a BIG on day ride. No easy car pick up areas near the Gila. Picketpost to Kelvin is a big ride too mostly done as shuttle. Easy car access at Kelvin TH and Picketpost TH. Nothing that I would consider crazy technical on AZt or BCT for that matter, but it not easy trail either. My preferred bike for these trails is a light 29er HT. Mostly narrow twisty and always going up or down. BTW.. from the Gila river crossing back to Picketpost TH is a 4 hr ride. 90min to 2 hrs to climb out of the Gila and the remainder to roll down (sort of) to Picket Post. Not much distance, but slow riding pace overall. The terrain between Picketpost and the Gila is epic. Remote and beautiful, but be cautious of dangers since there is little traffic there.

    Here is picture on the Azt bettween the Gila and Picketpost taken a brand new gate.
    Question about Pheonix trails-img_1771s.jpg
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  5. #5
    dft
    dft is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,194
    can I ask one more question. mcdowell park, it seems from MTB project there are some good 1000 foot drops in there (bell pass, Tom's thumb). are those pretty good?
    thanks

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    386
    All the McDowell passes are fun, but you have to earn it. Steep, steep to get up there no matter the direction of approach - and right now very chunky. The one smooth descent would be the north side of Tom's Thumb, but it is littered with hikers and pretty loose... kitty litter over hardpack. I'd rather ride BCT or AZT if I was coming here to visit to be honest.

  7. #7
    STEEL IS REAL
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,914
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Picketpost to the Gila and back is a BIG on day ride. No easy car pick up areas near the Gila. Picketpost to Kelvin is a big ride too mostly done as shuttle. Easy car access at Kelvin TH and Picketpost TH. Nothing that I would consider crazy technical on AZt or BCT for that matter, but it not easy trail either. My preferred bike for these trails is a light 29er HT. Mostly narrow twisty and always going up or down. BTW.. from the Gila river crossing back to Picketpost TH is a 4 hr ride. 90min to 2 hrs to climb out of the Gila and the remainder to roll down (sort of) to Picket Post. Not much distance, but slow riding pace overall. The terrain between Picketpost and the Gila is epic. Remote and beautiful, but be cautious of dangers since there is little traffic there.

    Here is picture on the Azt bettween the Gila and Picketpost taken a brand new gate.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1771s.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	1119404
    Is that the gate just South of a good long sustained hike when headed toward the Lookout from PP?
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

  8. #8
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,231
    Quote Originally Posted by phatmike2112 View Post
    All the McDowell passes are fun, but you have to earn it. Steep, steep to get up there no matter the direction of approach - and right now very chunky. The one smooth descent would be the north side of Tom's Thumb, but it is littered with hikers and pretty loose... kitty litter over hardpack. I'd rather ride BCT or AZT if I was coming here to visit to be honest.
    I live next to Bell Pass. Would not take a day out of a short week to ride it. It has its charms, but might just barely crack a Valley top 10. If you are dying for a McDowells ride, something putting together Lost Dog TH up Sunrise to the AK trail, down into Fountain Hills, then back the way you came is still steep and scenic but far more ridable.

    BCT from Gloriana TH north for 10 miles and back is a fun ride that is good to do enroute from Sedona. There are 1-ways etc from N -> S, but you shoudl search this forum or the BCT resources online as I dont have good details.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: El_Bendejo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    109
    These replies all are good. but if you're riding somo and goat camp, I'm not sure you're getting what you asked for. List linked below, and as you'd guess its SoMo and GC heavy.

    (above istn meant to disrespect the longer backcounty rides. I just feel like HOlbert and GC are fundamentally different rides than Picketpost and BCT). Frankly if you think you've exhausted SoMo, seems like maybe its time for a drive down to Mt Lemmon for some bug springs and millagrosa.


    http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/progr...ix-492455.html

  10. #10
    dft
    dft is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,194
    thanks all!
    i don't need every ride to be as technical as goat camp. a flowy day is good too, as stated i just don't want to be riding flat stuff, that is why bell pass, toms thumb peaked my interest, they have 1000 foot drops in them.

    ps. yea i have ridden milagrosa, great trail, but don't want to drive down there this trip.

    Quote Originally Posted by El_Bendejo View Post
    These replies all are good. but if you're riding somo and goat camp, I'm not sure you're getting what you asked for. List linked below, and as you'd guess its SoMo and GC heavy.

    (above istn meant to disrespect the longer backcounty rides. I just feel like HOlbert and GC are fundamentally different rides than Picketpost and BCT). Frankly if you think you've exhausted SoMo, seems like maybe its time for a drive down to Mt Lemmon for some bug springs and millagrosa.


    http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/progr...ix-492455.html

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Is that the gate just South of a good long sustained hike when headed toward the Lookout from PP?
    I am not sure. I don't know of any sustained hikes on this trail. Gate however is new. Just installed in December.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  12. #12
    DFL>DNF>DNS
    Reputation: schillingsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,073
    You can drop a car down by the Gila at the old townsite of Cochran. It's a dirt road and has some sandy bits, but I've taken my Nissan Juke down there without issue. It's a solid 1 1/2 hour drive from Picketpost TH to Cochran no matter which direction you go, either via Florence or Kelvin. You'll want to keep an eye on the Gila River flow if you opt for this ride as you'll have to ford the river to get to Cochran. Anything under 150 CFS should be less than waist deep. Looks like it has spiked recently to 175 CFS.
    My Two Schillingsworth


    Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

Similar Threads

  1. Any reviews for the Pheonix Carbon 27.5?
    By hobo1337 in forum Pivot Cycles
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-26-2015, 08:13 PM
  2. Pivot Pheonix
    By 90supra in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-18-2013, 06:56 AM
  3. Pheonix
    By tonyb in forum Arizona
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-17-2011, 06:13 PM
  4. Race Face Like a Pheonix
    By Enduramil in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 06:51 AM
  5. Pivot=Pheonix?
    By the-one1 in forum Pivot Cycles
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-11-2011, 03:21 AM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.