The quest for that thrill...goodbye to a noble steed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

The quest for that thrill...goodbye to a noble steed

Its been 3 months...three short months that has given me that glimpse of freedom, that thrill, that adrenaline pumping sport called mountain biking.

I got a old 2004 Norco fluid with a crappy marrazochi fork, a decent fox float rl shock, and a few upgrades here and there....and started on my own single track exploring and pushing my limits....

from the first time i took the bike out...

to some of the amazing abd breathtaking views i got from that trip

This very first trip...sparked something, it changed something inside me. It changed my views on the desert. It changed my i hate the desert because all it wants to do is sting, bite, prick, stab, poison, eat you, so let the entire place burn mentality. And changed it to an amazing new world where you see a different kind of beauty, a beauty that still wants to bite, sting, prick, stab, poison you

It also brought about my first battle scars. And to this day, theyre still prominent. still can take a quick glance and see something that been done that really messed up my arm and leg.

This addictive sport has led me all over the east valley...ranging from many hours at Usery, to pushing my limits in the wee hours of the morning at Hawes, to a wasted 2 hours at silly mountain, to a 26mile woods canyon lake trek, and even led me to a place over 500 miles away, Angel Fire NM.

Each little trip, taught me something, something valuable. whether it be that my bike sucks, to i need new tires, to never ride 12 miles to a 3.5mile single track on a FSR and back, to even learning how to actually climb hills.

I even went as far as building my own rack for my jeep!

All this leads to a great fun before the desert heat, and fueled the fire for more adrenaline pumping excitement.

I have since had to give the bike back to its rightful owner and let it collect dust as it had done before me

In every tradgedy, there is a light, a small gleam of light that shines out. I may be without a bike...however i will be saving up for my dream bike. I will be saving for the ultimate bike! *duh duh dummm......*

Granted this isnt mine its actually another members on here.

I first laid eyes on a Banshee Rune on my first failed group ride out at pass mtn. i immediately fell in love with it...and since then i have made it my goal to obtain this bike...

why do i write all this? well, i have no life like most of you reading this, but also to espress how much i love this sport, and how much i miss this....

So if you would like to donate to the poor tankerblade fund, i will take anything from random parts, to a dollar, to even a complete bike and for you older sick minded guys, i might even throw in that police stripper act of mine i work on all the time

mtbr member
    nice

Ridin bikes is fun
    Great post. I would like to add, I'm also taking donations. Any amount is good, but the bigger the better. I will spend it on bike stuff, no beer or hookers and blow, just bike stuff. I can even travel to pick up a large enough donation.

Thank you
    David.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

EDR
    Dude, nice post. I miss that feeling you describe. It comes and goes but it's never like in the beginning.

If you have the time get a second job scooting pizza's or something. Just a few hours a week for a couple months and if you put every penny in a bike fund you'll have lots to spend in no time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Those are great pics.

I live in BC and love riding in the mountains here, but I look forward to every one of my trips the desert and the chance to get reacquainted.

mtbr member
    That's the good stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by surfndav View Post
    Great post. I would like to add, I'm also taking donations. Any amount is good, but the bigger the better. I will spend it on bike stuff, no beer or hookers and blow, just bike stuff. I can even travel to pick up a large enough donation.

Thank you
    David.
    Dont you go trippin up on my territory, punk

Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Dude, nice post. I miss that feeling you describe. It comes and goes but it's never like in the beginning.

If you have the time get a second job scooting pizza's or something. Just a few hours a week for a couple months and if you put every penny in a bike fund you'll have lots to spend in no time.
    I miss everything already. and its only been 2 weeks without the bike haha.

Right now im working two jobs, pushing 60hr work weeks. I SHOULD have the money pretty quick lol but other useless things get in the way like bills

mtbr member
    Was the Pass Mtn ride you speak of, the one on Memorial Day?

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    2 hours at silly mountain? wasted trying to FIND a singlebike trail there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz View Post
    Was the Pass Mtn ride you speak of, the one on Memorial Day?
    I think so, but i am not completely sure...i was towards the back half when my shock decided to get stuckdown, so i decided to bail before anything was broken

Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    2 hours at silly mountain? wasted trying to FIND a singlebike trail there?
    wasted two hours trying to find a GOOD single track...

mtbr member
    And sorry everyone, i forgot how bad those pictures looked. i was having a ton of issues with the focus and resolution on it.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    A+ I remember the first days. A whole world opens up. Over a decade later, still loving it.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    "I have since had to give the bike back to its rightful owner and let it collect dust as it had done before me"

Rightful owner?? If they're just going to let that thing sit.....go get that ****in' bike!!

mtbr member
    Why not just pick up a good bike on Craigslist while you are saving up for your dream bike. Good deals pop up all the time. I managed to snag a Kona Dawgma in almost new condition for $400 a few weeks back. Then when you are close to having the money saved up for your dream bike, sell the other one?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jvm051 View Post
    Why not just pick up a good bike on Craigslist while you are saving up for your dream bike. Good deals pop up all the time. I managed to snag a Kona Dawgma in almost new condition for $400 a few weeks back. Then when you are close to having the money saved up for your dream bike, sell the other one?
    ^this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jvm051 View Post
    I may do that. i have been looking but havent found any deals or bikes that i like...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    My Turner 5-Spot frame is on there.

My other ride is your mom
    good story with a wink at a happy ending....ride on!

mtbr member
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Great post and great pics! You're very lucky to have such great weather, we get about one dry day a month in Scotland, even then the sun hardly shines, but even when it's tipping down, you can't beat a day on the bike.

It is true though, you are always pushing for that original thrill you had at first catching air or ripping a massive mountain, that's why you just have to keep on pushing!

pedaller
    Nice. If you really wanted donations, you should NOT have posted the pic of that sweet Jeep!

Enjoy the ride.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Thank you everyone for the kind words. It really means alot to see so many people saying such kind words. I really didnt expect this thread to get this many comments. again THANK YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    Great find. Im considering it

Quote Originally Posted by Fergonthebike View Post
    Great post and great pics! You're very lucky to have such great weather, we get about one dry day a month in Scotland, even then the sun hardly shines, but even when it's tipping down, you can't beat a day on the bike.

It is true though, you are always pushing for that original thrill you had at first catching air or ripping a massive mountain, that's why you just have to keep on pushing!

That is one place i would love to go. granted you might only get that one dry day, but i would love to be able to visit this wet miserable but gorgeous place

Quote Originally Posted by Noelg View Post
    Nice. If you really wanted donations, you should NOT have posted the pic of that sweet Jeep!

Enjoy the ride.
    Haha probably, unfortunately in not mine it was my parents that i was borrowing when my little POS jeep was broken.