Quad Jr. this weekend? (15th)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Quad Jr. this weekend? (15th)

I posted this in the Quad thread, but figured a few more might see it out here...

I'm planning to ride a pre-quad double on Saturday morning (15th) if anyone wants to join me in the MSP.

I was thinking to ride from Ringtail (128th) then up and over sunrise, up Via Linda to service road, over to Sonoran Trail then up Dixie Mine (or is it Prospector?) and up and over Bell. Bell down to Paradise then up Quartz over to Taliesen overlook and then back to Ringtail.

I'll be starting at 8:30ish Saturday morning...I'm hoping to be back at Ringtail TH by noon. I've never ridden the east side of the McDowells so I wanted to get out there before the quad.

come on out!

CR
    Maah Daah Hey

mtbr member
    planning to leave at 9am from Sunrise Trailhead (per group decision)...

some of the group wanted the "option" of riding sunrise at the end.

if you want to leave from Ringtail, go for it and we'll meet you at Sunrise at 9. Looks to be a group of 3-4 of us.

CR
    Maah Daah Hey

mtbr member
    ah man, I rolled outta bed and did nearly this same ride today. To bad I didn't see your post. Drat!

I actually added the West Loop (trail above Promenade where it turns from jeep road to single track), and boy was that a mistake. Holy crap, the switchbacks are ridiculous.

I never-ever flat, but the chollaballz had my name today. I hate them bastids and the new cheap-a$$ kenda's I am rolling on.

Utter than that, it was a good day on the trail.

mtbr member
    great day for us, too! my buddy's australian shepherd, Nigel, (an awesome trail dog) picked up a Cholla in his front leg...he wasn't down with us pulling it out! a little wrestling, and a little growling and we were back on the trail!

Nigel ran with us for 21 miles last weekend at SoMo and another 15 today in the McDowells...he loves it out there.

I've never ridden the east side of the mcdowells. Good stuff over there. there is a downhill piece at the end of the sonoran (right before it T's into DixMine) trail which is a ripper. super smooth and super fast! good times.

prospector gave me the beat down.

there were about 5-6 guys from fountain hills out grooming Sonoran trail today. They were doing a really nice job of tamping, racking and cutting the backslope; pretty cool.
    Maah Daah Hey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arctic slalom
    Good stuff over there. there is a downhill piece at the end of the sonoran (right before it T's into DixMine) trail which is a ripper. super smooth and super fast! good times.

prospector gave me the beat down.
    Totally, I really dig that part. It has flat out speed written all over it.

Yeah, I went up Prospector today too, and its pretty demoralizing.

Typically in the past for the quad, instead of heading up to the road to Prospector, we would turn right and jump on the rest of of dixie mine trail to coachwhip. It is still a beat down, and but the climbs seam little easier.

I am Walt
    Nice ride!!

Quad info coming later today!!! (while I'm watching football!)
    Ride more; post less...

parenting for gnarness
    @U2 - last year on the gnardruple we included Sonoran.

I did the dumbest epic in the world yesterday - Windgate->down all the boring stuff to test ride a Firebird on the tech loop, back up all the boring stuff and over Bell. 35 miles and 4.5 hrs.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Paradise trail is only aptly named if youre going North to South.. South to North it should be called Hell. At least thats what my legs tell me. Probably going to ride some of Gateway to Windgate to Bell today. You guys with your 'druples are just friggin nuts Hope to try one by the end of '11

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    @U2 - last year on the gnardruple we included Sonoran.

I did the dumbest epic in the world yesterday - Windgate->down all the boring stuff to test ride a Firebird on the tech loop, back up all the boring stuff and over Bell. 35 miles and 4.5 hrs.
    Ah man, you gotta ride a Fuegobird? Suhweet! I bet that was dreamy.

Yeah us, slow-nongnardruple peeps did the Sonoran dealio too, so yesterday I was little more prepared for ups and downs of this trail.

Yesterday, I included the 500+ vf hike-a-bike on the West Loop. The pass on West Loop is actually about 200 vf higher in elevation than the pass at Sunrise. This is one trail, that I wouldn't bother with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    Yesterday, I included the 500+ vf hike-a-bike on the West Loop. The pass on West Loop is actually about 200 vf higher in elevation than the pass at Sunrise. This is one trail, that I wouldn't bother with.
    where is the "west loop"? Is this over by Sonoran somewhere?

@cholla,

35 miles in 4.5 hours...whoa! I think you'll be 5 miles ahead of me, 1 hour into the quad.

me and buddy saw some guy just hammer the east climb up Bell, roll over the top and just kept cruising like the climb didn't effect them...was that you? ...maybe 1'ish?
    Maah Daah Hey

mtbr member
    Whoops, its actually called Western Loop and I wouldn't waste your time going up it and down it on a bike. I'm sure this trail was somebodies labor of love, but I gotta say I prolly won't do it again.

It offers the biggest gnar and tech of any trail I've seen in the McDowells. The longest stretch can't be over 100 feet, and I would give a brand new pair of tire-priors to any chump that can clean all the switchbacks coming down. If you are good at front wheel 'stoppies' you might have a chance. I have never been on a trail with switchbacks this tight and steep. Couple that with some exposure on a trail that can get as narrow as 6" wide . The hike-a-bike up would actually be kinda fun to come down.

It is on the left hand side of the jeep road (Promenade Trail - 3/4 mile before the end), and hooks up an over a big hill and ties back in to Promenade about 100 yards before the single track of Sonoran Trail begins.

I also did the short Overlook trail, which is about 1/2 mile to a view point.

Here is a link to a Interactive Google Earth Tour I put together that focuses on Western Loop. I penciled in the path by hand, but yeah all those short switchbacks are for realz: Google Earth Tour - Western Loop in Fountain Hills Mountain Preserve

parenting for gnarness

@cholla,

35 miles in 4.5 hours...whoa! I think you'll be 5 miles ahead of me, 1 hour into the quad.

me and buddy saw some guy just hammer the east climb up Bell, roll over the top and just kept cruising like the climb didn't effect them...was that you? ...maybe 1'ish?
    it very much affected me, but i was late.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Members who have read this thread: 0