Renegade of Krunk

Q's on Sunrise Ski resort trails..

I just searched to see if I could find any pictures of some of the trails at the sunrise ski resort and all I found was a link to their website which has a small pic or two.

Can anyone describe the "freeride" stuff they have there? What are the drops, jumps, etc like? I really want to go out there and bomb down some of the smoother trails on my HT and since I like jumping I am hoping they have some cool stuff out there.

And what trails would be more fun (as in not being beat to hell) on a hardtail? I've never been there and am must searching on what I would want to check out so I'm not totally lost when I get there. No 7" travel out back so I don't really want to slam my way down a rough ass trail. Yeah its fun to test out your line choice etc, but I am craving some fast singletrack baby And the thought of hauling ass down and then riding a lift back up sounds great, no more walking, pedaling a bit, walking...

-John.
    I'm not new to this, I'm true to this

mtbr member
    http://www.freeridewest.com/pics/pic...&query=sunrise

theres some pics, the whole first page is of sunrise. ive never been there but from what i hear there is a little of everything. i have heard that there is some rippin singletrack. hopefully eric will chime in cause he has been there.

Renegade of Krunk
    Oh sick, that place looks it'd kickass. When I go up there I'll post when I'm going up and if anyone wants to meet up for a ride (or whatever) that'd be cool. I'll probablly bring 2 friends that are new at mt biking with me. One of them is in 6th grade (hes got a crummy mongoose fs) but is damn good for his age and basically fearless. My other friend is getting a Kona Stuff and will be good with some practice..

Can't wait to hit that ____!!!

mtbr member
    i know ill probably be goin up memorial day weekend. thats the first weekend they are open.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I made 2 trips last year and had a great time. Be sure to check the weather though, got stuck in a hail storm on the way up, and that just sucks...

They had some good single track, drops that I didn't want to take, as well as some really fast jeep trails. I think my max speed for the day was a little over 40 mph. Already missing the ski season but already lookin forward to the downhill.

Renegade of Krunk
    Thanks for the replies. I'm getting more and more pumped to go riding up there, probablly going to pick up a full face helmet soon also. I already have a MSR System-X helmet for when I go out on my quad, but it's going to be overkill for mtb'ing and I don't want to feel like a bobble head ripping down some singletrack.

I'm looking into the 661 Full Bravo Carbon because its not too pricey ($150) and since its made of carbon fiber and fiberglass it should be pretty light

I lean like a cholo!

Full face for sure

Quote Originally Posted by E30Evolution
    Thanks for the replies. I'm getting more and more pumped to go riding up there, probablly going to pick up a full face helmet soon also. I already have a MSR System-X helmet for when I go out on my quad, but it's going to be overkill for mtb'ing and I don't want to feel like a bobble head ripping down some singletrack.

I'm looking into the 661 Full Bravo Carbon because its not too pricey ($150) and since its made of carbon fiber and fiberglass it should be pretty light
    Yeah get a full face for sure. If you don't get one rock the MSR. You can get deadly fast up there. Pads are a good idea too. Its going to be a good time. I should be heading up on the opening day.
    ...and I used my strength to rip my blouse...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

HOPEFULLY it will be open memorial day

there is tons of snow up there still and when I talked to them last they still couldn't get to the top of the mountain...so pray for warm weather and snow melt or we may have to wait!!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    True...on sunriseskipark.com there is a live webcam and you can still see some remnants of the white stuff. For those in the know is there going to be any new building or obstacles set up this year?

Renegade of Krunk
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Con-fecal
    Yeah get a full face for sure. If you don't get one rock the MSR. You can get deadly fast up there. Pads are a good idea too. Its going to be a good time. I should be heading up on the opening day.
    Yeah, I will hopefully be buying by next weekend at the latest. I've already got some Roach FR knee/shin combos, but I really want to pick up some elbow/forearms guards also. Too much padding is just enough

banned
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ynotgobig
    hopefully eric will chime in cause he has been there.
    Yeah, a great time, and worth the drive. Fullface is a must, knee and shin pads too. I even wear my upper armor there, you can get going scary fast through the trees. Not a lot of DJ'ing, actually only a few hits in the trails unless the crew builds more this year. You could rock a HT, you'll just get pretty beat up. But you're young, so you'll live.

Hope to see everyone there soon, my first trip up will be the weekend AFTER memorial day...

DHF

Renegade of Krunk
    Quote Originally Posted by DownHillFast
    Yeah, a great time, and worth the drive. Fullface is a must, knee and shin pads too. I even wear my upper armor there, you can get going scary fast through the trees. Not a lot of DJ'ing, actually only a few hits in the trails unless the crew builds more this year. You could rock a HT, you'll just get pretty beat up. But you're young, so you'll live.

Hope to see everyone there soon, my first trip up will be the weekend AFTER memorial day...

DHF
    Hah

Looks like I'll be sticking with more of the smooth trails. Slamming through a trail and hearing uber chain slip bugs me

And about the helmet, screw it. I forgot how light my MSR was, it's only 3 pounds..So, I cant justify spending $130 on a helmet that weighs a half poind less. I'll put that $130 towards a Canon Digital Rebel to get some good shots up there..Along with some Roach arm pads. And all of the padding in the msr is removeable to wash which I really need to do after putting it on a second ago. It's been through a hell of a lotta dusty AZ rides..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brian
    I might head up there this weekend to take some pictures. Want to try out a few new lens's before I buy them so you guys might see me there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Check the date on the last post. I don't think you will be seeing them.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'm planning on making the trip this summer sometime. How does Sunrise compare to something like Northstar? Northstar is what I know, as I've been there many times on my bikes. Also done some other lift stuff, but it was too lame to really count.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Shred...it's the new drug
    There won't be much trail to ride if people don't volunteer to help clear them. Sunrise has no budget to hire a trail crew, so steveo and joey of smoken spokes are spearheading the trail days. If you want to lend a hand check out the other thread here. HERE!

I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle

hey

I wouldnt really say freeride. more Downhill. No real big drops and stuff but most of the fun stuff is a little ruff on a ht. I would suggest armor and a full face. Also if the riders u are bringing have never done DH down a mtn then I would probley stick to the fireroads to let them get used to in before u take them into any of the fast moving traisl with alot of obsticles and trees. just my 2 cents. Would hate to see someone get choppered out the first day like last time( like i said full face).
    I also would definatly not suggest riding a walmart bike up there. The brakes will overheat in about 2 min. then u f'''''d. Rent a bike from cactus.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.- Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    here's a couple from 07. Cant wait!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Question for anyone out there. I am going to be up in the sunrise neighborhood with two 8 year olds. One that has no fear and one that recently had an accident which crushed the old manberries so he's a little timid nowdays. Is there enough easy stuff to make a day pass worth it? They both ride hardtails of course and are still working on getting good at the shifting.

CAB
    mtbr member
    a fire road.
    "You have a cough? Go home tonight, eat a whole box of Ex-Lax, tomorrow you'll be afraid to cough."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pauldelamancha
    Question for anyone out there. I am going to be up in the sunrise neighborhood with two 8 year olds. One that has no fear and one that recently had an accident which crushed the old manberries so he's a little timid nowdays. Is there enough easy stuff to make a day pass worth it? They both ride hardtails of course and are still working on getting good at the shifting.
    I bet they can go down fungus pretty well if they take it easy... besides the fire road of course. Also, towards the bottom they have some good connector trails that don't seem to be on the map that could be good for them also... mainly used by hikers but you can take some bikes on it. Try to the green trails since the harder ones usually have some crazy drop and downhill sections for an 8 year old. I would also recommend an adult to be with them the first time down since these trails are not labeled yet.

Meatbomb
    LOL... I bet the OP is old enough to drive now.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    WOW! I posted on this back in 2005! Memories.......nothing more than...
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!