Pump track Bike Questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Pump track Bike Questions

I picked up an Azonic DS1 frame today (thanks Tmarkos) to build a pump track bike. So, I went to the garage... dug through all those old, obsolete 26" parts I had in boxes, and pieced this thing together... can't wait to get out and ride it!

I have a couple of questions though... I set this up singlespeed, what is the best gearing to use? I just put a 32x16 on it, but was thinking I might need to go bigger. Also, do most of you ride clipped in or flat pedals on these things (I am assuming flats, but want to hear everyones opinion)

Should be a super fun bike and I know it is going to get thrashed by countless cross country weenies over the next few months!!

mtbr member
    I've got the same gearing, and flats.
    Bullsh*t is the glue that binds our nation.

mtbr member
    If the track is good and you are doing it right, you should never need to pedal. 32x16 should be fine...

Most people run flat pedals, but it can be done clipped in...

Downhill Messiah
    If you only want to ride a pump track, your gearing should be fine. but if you ever go to any bmx track,or ride street, you might wanna run something slightly higher. I run a 30x12 on my hard tail and love it.

And oh yeah, FLATS ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Clips are for pedaling uphill only, IMO, you wont need em on any pump track.
    Madspeed always prevails!

mtbr member
    Clipless on a pump track is cheating. You can actually pump better when clipped in because you can exaggerate the pumping motion. Flats all the way. I will say though, manualing clipped in is scary.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies! Looks like I need to pick up a pair of flats and some shin gaurds tonight (have not been on flat pedals in 15+ years).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    I picked up an Azonic DS1 frame today (thanks Tmarkos) to build a pump track bike. So, I went to the garage... dug through all those old, obsolete 26" parts I had in boxes, and pieced this thing together... can't wait to get out and ride it!

I have a couple of questions though... I set this up singlespeed, what is the best gearing to use? I just put a 32x16 on it, but was thinking I might need to go bigger. Also, do most of you ride clipped in or flat pedals on these things (I am assuming flats, but want to hear everyones opinion)

Should be a super fun bike and I know it is going to get thrashed by countless cross country weenies over the next few months!!

Nice!

Shred...it's the new drug
    for a true pump track bike take off the chain and brakes!!! you're pumping, not pedaling and braking!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    for a true pump track bike take off the chain and brakes!!! you're pumping, not pedaling and braking!!!
    This is true, and the best way to learn.

mtbr member
    I am too big of a wuss to remove the brakes and chain... Also, a couple of weeks ago I found a really old BMX track/dirt jumps/etc about a half mile from my house in the desert that I can ride to. The track seemed to work pretty well, with big bermed corners, however there are no bumps in between the corners - should not be that big of a deal to make it work. I am going out there tonight to try it out and see if it will be suitable (which I think it will!!)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    I am too big of a wuss to remove the brakes and chain... Also, a couple of weeks ago I found a really old BMX track/dirt jumps/etc about a half mile from my house in the desert that I can ride to. The track seemed to work pretty well, with big bermed corners, however there are no bumps in between the corners - should not be that big of a deal to make it work. I am going out there tonight to try it out and see if it will be suitable (which I think it will!!)
    Its actually safer to remove both - you won't try to pedal and you won't jam on your brakes if you think you're in trouble. Both of those cause crashes. Remember you're on a smooth banked track. And you will learn to properly pump the bike instead of cheating and throwing in a pedal stroke.

mtbr member
    And drop the seat until it nearly rubs on the rear tire. The only time you will use it is when waiting to drop in. Other than that it is just in the way.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks everyone for the info, much appreciated! I will be out in the next couple of weeks for one of your work days at McDowell - just post on the thread!

mtbr member
    I'm running 39x17 on my SE OM Flyer... Any gearing should work. I love that everyone is going out and building up pump track bikes. I was out there today and the track is amazingly fun. PUMP TRACK NATION!!!!

mtbr member
    The roscoe was working real well on the track... I just lowered the talas to 120 mm and put pro pedal on my rear shock...

I tried locking out the front too for a couple laps but I prefer the feeling of a little front travel

mtbr member
    All I gotta say is that seat is the $hit..

Tails

Members who have read this thread: 0