recovering roadie

PSA - South Mountain break-ins

There has been a large increase in the number of break-ins at South Mountain recently. They are occurring even in parking areas you may think are safe.

In January, on the 2nd (busy holiday weekend), I parked to hike at the San Juan junction right next to the main road in plain view. They broke in to my car and tried to steal it. $5000 worth of damage and three weeks without the car.

Sunday afternoon I parked at the Rock House / Ranger station. Had everything stashed out of sight. I rode the Alta Trail, came back and had a window broken and miscellaneous things stolen. Nothing major was stolen - they didn't even get my complete stereo, but it's quite a mess anyway. The Rangers said there was another break-in Sunday morning at the 46th street trailhead. They took a guy's laptop and a bunch of other stuff while he was out riding. I had presumed that trailhead to be safe because of the BAE Systems plant there.

The policeman who came to my house later and took a report found a drop of blood from the broken window and got some DNA. I didn't think they bothered with DNA on a car burglary, but he was excited at the chance to catch the guy sooner or later. He said that while violent crimes are WAY down since the recession started, property crimes are way up.

Don't leave anything in your car that would be a major problem if you lost it, and keep your insurance paid-up. The rangers cannot arrest anyone, and are not armed. South Mountain is a candy store for thieves.

mtbr member
    cue the Law and Order "DOINK-doink" theme.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Criminal Intent sucks now that they got rid of Goren & Eames.
    jeff goldblum can only act with dinosaurs...

JohnniO
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    Criminal Intent sucks now that they got rid of Goren & Eames.
    jeff goldblum can only act with dinosaurs...
    Hey , go easy on Brundell Fly ! He was good in "Deep Cover" too.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yep, DNA/prints even on vehicle burgs. The reason is that typically that is a tweaker's job. Get a hit on that blood and you can probably clear dozens and dozens of property crimes.

Don't believe the Hype...
    Check this out, it's at the very end...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=114832521884505&ref=mf

Seems like it would be so easy to run a sting operation to catch these guys...I guess it's down on PD's the priority list...
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Yep, DNA/prints even on vehicle burgs. The reason is that typically that is a tweaker's job. Get a hit on that blood and you can probably clear dozens and dozens of property crimes.

Finally.....some good news

Pivotal figure
    Oddly enough my car got hit last Sat. while parked at Scorpion Gulch. Someone "borrowed" the front passenger side window trim panel from my Element. Noting broken but still damn annoying...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Elitest thrill junkie
    That sucks, they have LEO rangers at the grand canyon, with guns, tazers, and all sorts of crap.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member

livin' the dream......
    don't expect that in phoenix. I spoke to a park ranger friend in phx today who said they do not even clear the top of the mountain when they close the park at night. People basically drive down when they feel like it vs. closing the lookouts and then the summit road.

I would not want to be up there at night......

Members who have read this thread: 0