mtbr member

Props to a couple of SoMo DH'ers

I was out at SoMo Sunday morning riding the road to the San Juan parking lot and then to the towers. As I made the turn off Central into the park I saw 2 guys parked at the stables and they were pulling out the full on DH rigs.

I figured they were shuttling which, being the XC, roadie, tri-geek weenie that I am, I don't generally have a lot of respect for. I understand it's fun, allows you to ride more, etc.., etc..., etc... I'm not trying to instigate a riot here it's just my preference to earn the reward.

Anyway, on the ride down the road I saw the same 2 guys walking their full on DH rigs up the road! They looked to be in full body armor and were pushing those 35+ lb monsters up the road. Props to them I say! Anyone who wants it so bad they're willing to huff it up the mtn in 90 degree heat dragging a bike that is 10+ lbs too heavy, and wearing body armor has my respect!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybird
    I was out at SoMo Sunday morning riding the road to the San Juan parking lot and then to the towers. As I made the turn off Central into the park I saw 2 guys parked at the stables and they were pulling out the full on DH rigs.

I figured they were shuttling which, being the XC, roadie, tri-geek weenie that I am, I don't generally have a lot of respect for. I understand it's fun, allows you to ride more, etc.., etc..., etc... I'm not trying to instigate a riot here it's just my preference to earn the reward.

Anyway, on the ride down the road I saw the same 2 guys walking their full on DH rigs up the road! They looked to be in full body armor and were pushing those 35+ lb monsters up the road. Props to them I say! Anyone who wants it so bad they're willing to huff it up the mtn in 90 degree heat dragging a bike that is 10+ lbs too heavy, and wearing body armor has my respect!
    I guessing somebody is going to take this question the wrong way (any wagers?), but as a XC geek as well, can somebody who does ride DH tell me, are those bikes so heavy that one cannot actually ride them up S. Mountain (I'm assuming you're talking about the road)?

MTBR Mafia
    i rode my friends ironhorse which comes in at around 43 pounds and the gearing and bobbing are mainly what hold you back. but i still rode up 3 miles of road after hiking telegraph and it really wasnt that bad. it comes down to if your in shape. i ride all sorts of stuff along with xc so im more in shape than those pure dh'ers so therefore i think its easier for me. but its in no way fun to ride uphill with those, but the ride down more than makes up for it
    All Mountain was so 2005

MFC
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdub
    i ride all sorts of stuff along with xc so im more in shape than those pure dh'ers
    I just love this stereotype.

Drugstore Trailrider
    Quote Originally Posted by MFC
    I just love this stereotype.
    WORD!

Reveals a serious bit of ignorance about DH racing/racers.

John W.
    Body Armor--Don't Leave Home Without It!

Saucy Size
    Well...I definitely noticed a change in my fitness level after really focusing on big bike riding. After all the shuttling and hike-a-bike I found my aerobic base went to crap but my anaerobic felt solid.

Now this year, with all my road riding my aerobic is through the roof but a simple XC ride left me wiped out last Sunday.

Not saying DHers are musclebound or XCers are fitter or anything else along those lines, but the riding I've focused on does seem to impact my fitness. I'm sure the DHers focusing on results are mixing up their regimens a lot more than weekend warriors.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I don't post here very often cause of all trash talk btwn xc & dh, but people seem to be missing the point that you train for what you train for! Somebody that rides xc, or road, or dh or anything else is not in better shape than the others. You train for what you train for! When I played rugby I was in awesome shape, but not full out sprint dh shape. Full out sprint dh shape is not paddling on a surfboard all day shape. World class weight lifting shape is not full out dh sprint shape. Marathon running is not full out sprint dh shape. You get my point. You train for what you train for and just cause you only ride xc or ride tons of road does not make your physical shape better than the guy bombin on his dh rig!

mtbr member

Amen

Quote Originally Posted by desertbake
    I don't post here very often cause of all trash talk btwn xc & dh, but people seem to be missing the point that you train for what you train for! Somebody that rides xc, or road, or dh or anything else is not in better shape than the others. You train for what you train for! When I played rugby I was in awesome shape, but not full out sprint dh shape. Full out sprint dh shape is not paddling on a surfboard all day shape. World class weight lifting shape is not full out dh sprint shape. Marathon running is not full out sprint dh shape. You get my point. You train for what you train for and just cause you only ride xc or ride tons of road does not make your physical shape better than the guy bombin on his dh rig!

Fitness and "shape" are defined by individuals, unless you're a crappy "Men's" magazine.

I pretty much gave up mtnb for the year I was tri training and when I finally got back to the dirt I could barely control the bike. I could crank out endless miles on the road riding or running but my shoulders and arms were cooked after 30 minutes on National.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .downhillfaster.
    Plus, we drink more beer and feel less guilty about it.

DHF'r

I may be an xc, roadie, tri-geek weenie but I'll go beer for beer with any DH'er!

We are talking light beer right?

mtbr member
    Repeat post.
    Last edited by jaybird; 06-06-2005 at 07:40 PM.

Jm.
    mtbr member

Anyway, on the ride down the road I saw the same 2 guys walking their full on DH rigs up the road! !
    pffft, I've ridden my 49+lb DH rig(s) up that road more than once, hell the last time my derailer cable snapped and it stuck the bike in 8th gear (doesn't have a 9th). I do this when I go down to Somo without planning ahead for the shuttles. I do it at elden as well.

44t up front. You do it like a single-speed, standing the whole way.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You are one bad man JM. If you can pedal a DH bike up a hill like central or elden in 8th gear you should be training for the Tour this year. I climb my DH bike all the time up national, but I would not think about climbing it up central. I have rode a road bike up central and that was hard enough, there is no way I would do it on my DH bike, I give those guy's mad props yo.

Drugstore Trailrider
    I understand that you weren't looking to stir things up, but your comment really does interest me. I have found that DH riders "earn" the reward by surviving the downhill run, not by riding up. I simply wonder why one would fail to respect someone only because they aren't making their bike go up hill? Strange.

Personally, at 55 year old I don't care how my DH rig gets up hill, as long as I'm not having to pedal it. I've already earned every minute of going downhill, if it has to be earned, long ago so I'll just stick to shuttling, thank you very much.

John W.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by funtank
    . I climb my DH bike all the time up national, but I would not think about climbing it up central. I have rode a road bike up central and that was hard enough, there is no way I would do it on my DH bike, I give those guy's mad props yo.
    Props to you for doing up national. IMO that's a much harder way to go, because you have a lot of steep climbs, where going up central is gradual and about the same grade the whole way (and out of the saddle it's easy to get into a rythm). It boggles the roadies mind when I draft behind them on the relatively short downhill or flat sections when you get past the big climb going that way. National on a DH bike is much harder in my book though, and I've seen guys on DH bikes ride UP the friggin waterfall, leg power from beyond the realms.

One day when we were doing that "climb" we saw Mikey from American Choppers riding down (on a chopper).
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

bottom feeder

... and if we just ...

xc, dh it's all in the dirt!!!
    Last edited by Dogma; 06-06-2005 at 09:00 PM.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by desertbake
    Yea, me too. I am in shape. Bowling shape. Stuff big burritos and beers down my face type shape.

When I was a road racer back in college, I was in shape. I could freaking run circles around Aretha Franklin's rear, run some more, stop and go, run some more, stop, go, anaerobic, aerobic, freaking shape. I could play mad hoops endlessly and never get tired. That is what I call in shape - running freaking circles around someone who is in "sport specific shape".
    I AM JUST A JERK

bottom feeder
    Who cares......At least we are all on bikes!!!!!

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by .downhillfaster.
    Jeff - fair question.
    My dear sir, you have become the milquetoast of the year. I protest and allege that you have sold your soul to the moderator.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mr. wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn

Personally, at 55 year old I don't care how my DH rig gets up hill, as long as I'm not having to pedal it. I've already earned every minute of going downhill, if it has to be earned, long ago so I'll just stick to shuttling, thank you very much.

John W.
    i'm not too many years behind you papajohn. when, and if, i do make it to 55, i hope as hell i'm not shuttling and making some lame justification for it.

Fragile - must be Italian

Good point

I understand that you weren't looking to stir things up, but your comment really does interest me. I have found that DH riders "earn" the reward by surviving the downhill run, not by riding up. I simply wonder why one would fail to respect someone only because they aren't making their bike go up hill? Strange.

John W.
    Good point, John. I tend to fall into the same mindset as Jay ("earn your downhill by riding the uphill"). It's a mentality that us XC-oriented shaved-legged geeks fall into...you know - the "no pain no gain push it 'til it burns" crap. And I think that mentality follows any "endurance racer" (be it a cyclist, marathoner, whatever).

Come to think of it...whenever I go snow skiing, I don't hike up the mountain to ski back down. I take a chair lift. Yet I am still plenty tired by the end of the day.

Oh well. Cheers. It's all good. Someday I'll get the guts to ride a big-hit bike like a true DH'er. In the meantime I'll be huffing and puffing up anything and everything on my NRS.

Thx...Doug

Drugstore Trailrider
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    i'm not too many years behind you papajohn. when, and if, i do make it to 55, i hope as hell i'm not shuttling and making some lame justification for it.
    Lame? Ouch, that hurt!

I just got back this morning from Angel Fire where I raced DH in the Chile Challenge. From Friday through Sunday I did sixteen full runs down the World Cup DH course there. I never pedaled a single stroke up hill, thanks to the chairlift, but was mentally and physically baked. I am a fit XC racer (just finished the MBAA season series two weeks ago), but for me those DH runs were utterly exhausting. There is nothing easy about going downhill.

John W.

sprocket
    I just got back from riding up National and then walking it down. Do I need props for that? Boy, it really takes a lot of nerve to actually ride down hill.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    I just got back from riding up National and then walking it down. Do I need props for that? Boy, it really takes a lot of nerve to actually ride down hill.
    I agree 100% It takes Balls to go downhill, most of the time when i hit national my balls are in my wifes purse. So.. I end up walking down the waterfall and other various locations. Props to you bombers...
    Just happy to be Crushin Rocks on the trails...

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I ride my xc bike if I know I will be hitting a lot of uphills. I use my DH bike for what it is made for "downhill". The cramped cockpit of a downhill bike makes it harder to crank the hills while a xc bike is more stretched out to take out the uphill. I have ridden up 4 peaks on a xc bike but no way would I attempt this on my big hit bike for the downhill aspect. I am just lucky to have two rigs to enjoy any type of riding I want.

sprocket
    One time, not long ago, I walked up National and then I walked down National. All those freaks that were riding a bike on the trail really scared me with their speed and juvenile spirit going up and down the hill.

mtbr member

Point Taken

John W.

Much like the fitness / shape argument I guess it depends on how you define "earning" the reward, whether it be riding up, surviving the downhill, or having spent the better part of your life taking your lumps and building experience.

As for me lacking respect for individuals, I was not speaking of the riders but the action. I have great respect for anyone riding a bike responsibly and in a manner that will not endager me, those around me, or my ability to access trails on my mtb. I'm just not enamored with the DH / freeride scene.

I know it requires great skill, tremendous strength and fitness, that it is mentaly and physically taxing and demands a level of courage that I cannot muster. But when I see people bombing downhill grinning and hooting, and having a great time or hucking a jump or a cliff I remain unimpressed. I know you're not looking to impress me, nor should you want to. After all who really cares what I think. I'm just saying personally, INHO, dropping off ledges, riding fixed obstacles or hucking big air doesn't interest me much.

I'm not trying to feed the old, tired, beat like a rented mule argument of who's the real mtb'er argument that we are all sick of hearing. It doesn't mater if you like racing skinny tires or hucking cliffs, just ride and enjoy. And when you're not riding post some pics of the ride and talk to others who share your passion and pursuits.

mtbr member
    wow, angel fire worked me. after the first day of practice i could barely move my hands out of the bar-holding position that they were in. it was nice meetin you john.

me and papajohn kicked it downhill style in angel fire and it was fun

mtbr member

Congrats on the 2nd place finish!

Thats awesome man.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake
    Thats awesome man.
    Second that.

How big was that roadgap on the course?

mtbr member
    man i fell three times during my run and i was so pissed off. when i got to the bottom i was in second though. i think its time to move up a class.

the road gap was about 13-15 foot gap.

Drugstore Trailrider
    Quote Originally Posted by ynotgobig
    man i fell three times during my run and i was so pissed off. when i got to the bottom i was in second though. i think its time to move up a class.

the road gap was about 13-15 foot gap.
    Palmer, major props for your 2nd Place ride at Angel Fire! I too enjoyed meeting you and hope to get a few pointers from you some day up at your jumps.

I think you are being conservative about that road gap. It looked to be almost three full body lengths to me, so 17-18 feet would have been my guess. Nice job cleaning it!

John W.

mtbr member
    yeah maybe it was a little bigger. the scary part about it was the in-run. it was up hill and it looked like you were goin to jump right off the mountain.

mtbr member
    Palmer, major props for your 2nd Place ride at Angel Fire! I too enjoyed meeting you and hope to get a few pointers from you some day up at your jumps.

I think you are being conservative about that road gap. It looked to be almost three full body lengths to me, so 17-18 feet would have been my guess. Nice job cleaning it!

John W.

talk about major props, didnt you get first for your class? thats awesome!