Proper Etiquette- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Proper Etiquette

Whilst enjoying BCT this beautiful morning, I was climbing out of the valley heading back to the Rock Springs trailhead, I had a nice pace going, things were nice the sky was blue and life was good. Enter a group of about 6 guys equally enjoying things on the downhill. The first guy on a 29er Obreo ( I believe) pulled off and gave me trail but the last 5 I had to "pass" basically on the same piece of singletrack, no crash's were had or words were exchanged, I simply wasn't going to give them the trail they obviously wanted. The passing as I said was as close as I've experienced in a head on without touching.

Again, not a confrontation however, I don't think they knew to yield to the climber?

Chip

banned
    Did they all have carbon stumpjumpers?

mtbr member

"No"

Rock,
    No, People on Carbon Bikes (especially married ones) know proper etiquette.
    Chip

slow uphill
    eh, formal trail etiquette rules aren't perfect, imho. at least you didn't collide.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, some people are SO friggin concerned about keeping their flow or whatever that they'll simply NEVER stop, they'll just ride off the trail or around you. I think this is a pretty bad attitude and shows quite a bit of disrespect for the trail and the sport. It's as if that downhill is the LAST time they'll ever ride downhill, so they will ride wide and around everyone rather than stop. I was hauling on my bike today on a downhill, met two riders comming up, pulled off to the right and stopped. I don't know what these people's problem is that they just can't show a little common courtesy and abide by the rules. I like a nice uninterupted downhill just as much as the next guy (or maybe I don't?), I know I've had plenty and I will have plenty more. I don't need to ride every one as if it's the last.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

gravity challenged
    May 2009

Good job!

I know the normal "rules" of the trail but am usually more than happy to pull aside and take a little break if needed. Always try to have a smile and a friendly "howdy" as well. Many kudos to others who don't take themselves too seriously!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Iíve had the same thing happen to me out there! I was climbing and some roadies, gawd I hate roadies why are they even allowed on mtn bikes? We all know they canít ride and they are rude! (kidding!) They came flying down at me and I just held my ground and they were forced to stop and let me by.

It gets narrow. And sometimes itís hard to see someone coming up because youíre kind of focused on haulin on the downhill. Plus there are lots of corners in spots. Iíve come up on riders who were on the climb up and they are already stopped because they saw me coming down and I was obviously not paying enough attention Ė head UP yes I know! Anyway, I always say thank you and a bunch of Iím sorrys and I have probably only got the stink eye once, everyone else is always super cool.

Sometimes people are just not paying attention like me. And sometimes yes people think they own the place. But all in all I think we have it pretty good out there, thereís really not that much traffic. Hey we could have to deal with the T100 hikers or the somo parking nightmare. Living in the sticks has its rewards!

See ya out there!
    Tiff

mtbr member

Roadies

Tiff,
    Me thinkst your correct, as I saw several shaved legs as I went by with my head down huffing and puffing.

My other ride is your mom
    I don't know about you all....but if I'm in a train heading down....I usually can't see anything other than the persons back in front of me and their rear wheel. Given that the first person saw you and stopped....I'm guessing the rest did not have enough time to react and slow down without pulling a "dukes of hazzard" move....but then again, I was not there. Stuff happens....if I posted up every time trail rules were violated....my post count would be huge.

Members who have read this thread: 0