Thread: Prop 420...

Meatbomb

Prop 420...

I guess it's not about legalized marijuana...

Or maybe it is
    Last edited by Phillbo; 09-13-2018 at 11:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    You don’t vote? Never mind Bad idea. Forget I mentioned it.

It’s unfortunate they got that number. I think the same thing every time I see one of those signs.

Not a S’dale resident, so I don’t get to weigh in. But I sure hope this passes.

Nice vid chollaball. 😀

livin' the dream......
    Love it.
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

banned
    Mar 2018
    Do you even vape bro??

mtbr member
    There’s a giant Yes Prop 420 sign at the corner of my neighborhood and I formulated a plan yesterday to relocate it to my garage. I’ll be voting “yes” so I figure it’s quasi-legit.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegill View Post
    There’s a giant Yes Prop 420 sign at the corner of my neighborhood and I formulated a plan yesterday to relocate it to my garage. I’ll be voting “yes” so I figure it’s quasi-legit.
    Make you a deal, you can have it when the election is over - I'll even have it delivered. Those things cost over $30 each with install, they are a key part of our campaign. Even more important since our opponents have launched a campaign designed completely around confusion by making similar signs and name their PAC "Protect Your Preserve". Plus, its a class 2 misdemeanor to mess w a political sign.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    It’s unfortunate they got that number. I think the same thing every time I see one of those signs.

Not a S’dale resident, so I don’t get to weigh in. But I sure hope this passes.

Nice vid chollaball. 😀
    We have no control over the number, 400s go in order from the County to local issues. It is what it is. Our opponents tried to confuse people that its about pot, and it actually got us voters who were so offended by their gaslighting. Councilwoman Virginia Korte posted a meme on her twitter page that its about pot, and she got an ethics complaint filed against her. On the whole, it hasnt affected us, and has given us a conversation starter when people ask.

More important is to remember to vote YES if you want the future of development in the Preserve to go to a vote of the citizens.

For anyone interested in knowing in-depth about the ballot prop, please read this position piece.

https://mailchi.mp/2bd52d3bccfb/in-d...charter-change

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    Make you a deal, you can have it when the election is over - I'll even have it delivered. Those things cost over $30 each with install, they are a key part of our campaign. Even more important since our opponents have launched a campaign designed completely around confusion by making similar signs and name their PAC "Protect Your Preserve". Plus, its a class 2 misdemeanor to mess w a political sign.
    Sounds good but you don’t have to deliver, I’ll pick one up after the election if you have any on hand.

mtbr member
    On second thought, do you have any yard signs and/or car magnets? I'd pick those up and put one in my front yard and on our cars. I've been following the DDC and it's a raw deal....its all about the developers with lobbying at its finest. The Gateway trailhead is just a few miles from my house and I spend a lot of time on those trails. I typically approach from the small Bell Road dirt lot to avoid the congestion at Gateway. The last thing that place needs is more buildings.

parenting for gnarness
    On second thought, do you have any yard signs and/or car magnets? I'd pick those up and put one in my front yard and on our cars. I've been following the DDC and it's a raw deal....its all about the developers with lobbying at its finest. The Gateway trailhead is just a few miles from my house and I spend a lot of time on those trails. I typically approach from the small Bell Road dirt lot to avoid the congestion at Gateway. The last thing that place needs is more buildings.
    sure do. Post or send your contact info. We also have a coffee-hour distribution events this Thursday AM from 7-9 at the Breakfast Joynt 100th\Bell in the Bashas Plaza. Probably will have one in S. Scottsdale Wed at the Local Donut on Hayden\Thomas at same time.

mtbr member
    I'll stop by the Joynt Thursday morning!

parenting for gnarness
    I'll stop by the Joynt Thursday morning!
    cool, tell Brad and Nancy I sent you. Thank you for your support.

parenting for gnarness
    If you have not yet voted in Scottsdale, please vote YES to PROP 420. It makes a simple change to the City Charter to codify that developement decisions in the mountain Preserve remain in the hands of the citizens, not the politicians. Please ask me or check out protectourpreservepac.com if you have questions.

Meatbomb
    Nice touch with the "They Lie" signs....
    Last edited by Phillbo; 10-19-2018 at 07:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Strong yes on 420. While I was not sure if the DDC was such a bad thing, I think it would be best for them to have to present and sell it to the community. And then let the community vote on it. (Research, education, Small ampethater with concessions sound ok, obviously “pink jeeps” would be horrible).

So yes on 420. Don’t trust just 4 people to make decisions on the preserve.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Nice touch with the They Lie signs....
    Thank you. 100% legal, protected political sign, no vandalism.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    Strong yes on 420. While I was not sure if the DDC was such a bad thing, I think it would be best for them to have to present and sell it to the community. And then let the community vote on it. (Research, education, Small ampethater with concessions sound ok, obviously “pink jeeps” would be horrible).

So yes on 420. Don’t trust just 4 people to make decisions on the preserve.
    thank you. Tell a friend please!

Agreed that an education center has merits. But not one that comes with the precedent of 4 politicians being able to build and spend anything they want in the Preserve. And the specific plans of $68M, $3-$5M loss per year, 60 night time events etc was not an acceptable plan imo.

Meatbomb
    Is this true? I hope not so I can tell the dude to go Eff himself.....

NODDC, the principal supporter of a yes vote on Prop 420, has been charged with 3 counts of campaign finance violations. They illegally failed to register as a PAC Political Action Committee. They illegally campaigned for certain candidates and campaigned against other candidates. They illegally failed to properly notice their website and their solicitations for campaign donations with the paid for by notices required of PACs. The two leaders of NODDC, Jason Alexander and Mike Norton are the guilty parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Is this true? I hope not so I can tell the dude to go Eff himself.....

NODDC, the principal supporter of a yes vote on Prop 420, has been charged with 3 counts of campaign finance violations. They illegally failed to register as a PAC Political Action Committee. They illegally campaigned for certain candidates and campaigned against other candidates. They illegally failed to properly notice their website and their solicitations for campaign donations with the paid for by notices required of PACs. The two leaders of NODDC, Jason Alexander and Mike Norton are the guilty parties.
    NoDDC, a Scottsdale group opposed to a desert education center in the city's preserve, violated campaign finance laws by failing to register as a political action committee and using money to influence the upcoming election, according to the city.

"We made some rookie, grassroots mistakes," he said. "We needed to get caught up with the scope of our movement. We have a large voice and a small pocketbook."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/elections/2018/10/17/noddc-pushing-scottsdaleprop-420-desert-discovery-center-desert-edge-violated-campaign-finance-laws/1661094002/

Remember that is effort is being driven by folks who are not professional politicians. Not surprising they missed some of the nuances. Doesn't make the message any less important - let the people decide on the DDC.

livin' the dream......
    My early voting is done:

Yes on 420
    Yes for Solange Whitehead
    Yes for Kathy Littlefield

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm View Post
    My early voting is done:

Yes on 420
    Yes for Solange Whitehead
    Yes for Kathy Littlefield
    the trifecta! well done.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    NoDDC, a Scottsdale group opposed to a desert education center in the city's preserve, violated campaign finance laws by failing to register as a political action committee and using money to influence the upcoming election, according to the city.

"We made some rookie, grassroots mistakes," he said. "We needed to get caught up with the scope of our movement. We have a large voice and a small pocketbook."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/elections/2018/10/17/noddc-pushing-scottsdaleprop-420-desert-discovery-center-desert-edge-violated-campaign-finance-laws/1661094002/

Remember that is effort is being driven by folks who are not professional politicians. Not surprising they missed some of the nuances. Doesn't make the message any less important - let the people decide on the DDC.
    a lot of political abuse over $250 spent and $3500 raised. We published our list of donors in an email 2 weeks ago - 45 Scottsdale residents averaging $80 each. Our money has never been our power, its out big mouths. Which should come as no surprise to those of you here who've followed me for awhile . Protect Our Preserve has always run the legal and monetary affairs other than nominal efforts from NoDDC. I shall have some very funny stories to start telling once the election is over.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Never understood the idea of forcing some issues, but not others, to the voter level directly. Does nobody understand the point of a representative democracy? Every Scottsdale voter already had a vote on this issue in the form of electing competent representatives. If they are not acting as the voters want, then replace them. Stop electing jackasses that screw you over and then whining about it. (This applies to ALL levels of gov and isn't just a jab at Scottsdale folks.)

More to the topic at hand, I'm in Phoenix, so no say in this issue, despite being a frequent user of the various McDowell park systems. I will say that I think the trailhead 'improvements' are a complete waste of money. Seeing Fraesfield getting shut down for that crap, and the trainwreck of spending at the Granite Mountain trailhead are both wastes. I see the same thing happening at the Phoenix Mountain Preserve.

It's funny... all these years of using these trail systems and not once have I thought to myself.. gee, what this place needs is some electricity/water/sewer and a buncha ramadas!

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    the trifecta! well done.
    Thanks for all of your work. Lets see how it goes today!

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau View Post
    Never understood the idea of forcing some issues, but not others, to the voter level directly. Does nobody understand the point of a representative democracy? Every Scottsdale voter already had a vote on this issue in the form of electing competent representatives. If they are not acting as the voters want, then replace them. Stop electing jackasses that screw you over and then whining about it. (This applies to ALL levels of gov and isn't just a jab at Scottsdale folks.)

More to the topic at hand, I'm in Phoenix, so no say in this issue, despite being a frequent user of the various McDowell park systems. I will say that I think the trailhead 'improvements' are a complete waste of money. Seeing Fraesfield getting shut down for that crap, and the trainwreck of spending at the Granite Mountain trailhead are both wastes. I see the same thing happening at the Phoenix Mountain Preserve.

It's funny... all these years of using these trail systems and not once have I thought to myself.. gee, what this place needs is some electricity/water/sewer and a buncha ramadas!
    Thoreau - when Scottsdale voters voted to tax themselves for the preserve, part of what we wanted were improvements at the trail heads (water, shade, etc). There is no 'trainwreck' of spending. It is what we voted for, and happily pay for (and you do too, when you spend money in Scottsdale).

I agree about voting people out, and people in who are aligned with your priorities. Hoping that happens today!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau View Post

I remember 20 years ago driving (what was then) way out to Pima & Dynamite and just parking off the side of the road and riding up north and east of the intersection. I understand having to control traffic, parking, etc. as more people use the area (and as more people build expensive homes nearby) but I could care less about ramada’s and the like.

As a Scottsdale resident for 22+ years, I always envisioned the preserve as just that....a place to preserve the natural desert, not blow the taxpayer money on ramadas and “discovery center” mumbo jumbo.

parenting for gnarness
    I remember 20 years ago driving (what was then) way out to Pima & Dynamite and just parking off the side of the road and riding up north and east of the intersection. I understand having to control traffic, parking, etc. as more people use the area (and as more people build expensive homes nearby) but I could care less about ramada’s and the like.

As a Scottsdale resident for 22+ years, I always envisioned the preserve as just that....a place to preserve the natural desert, not blow the taxpayer money on ramadas and “discovery center” mumbo jumbo.
    If you want a sign ,feel free to grab any you see in public. We have a company that is already starting to remove them, so have at it. There are lots of small ones around and you are welcome to some as well before they go in the trash. I can leave some on my porch if you want.

parenting for gnarness
    Election results are in and we passed 71%-29%. We also got the two candidates we endorsed finishing #1 and #2 out of a 5 person Council race. Welcome your new City Councilperson Solange Whitehead, who is also a mountain biker (well, she's really more of a dirt-roadie, but hey...).

Our candidates spent the least amount of money of the 5 campaigns. We won this with people-power. I'm still amazed we pulled it off.

Meatbomb
    Cool, we can smoke weed in the preserve now

I need to steal one of the "They Lie" signs... That one will come in handy every 2 years...

mtbr member
    Way to go on 420! I have had a sign in my yard and magnets on my truck since that event you told me about at the Breakfast Joynt. I met Brad & Nancy there. I also ran into Solange at Brown’s Ranch shortly afterward. She’ll make a great councilwoman.

parenting for gnarness
    Way to go on 420! I have had a sign in my yard and magnets on my truck since that event you told me about at the Breakfast Joynt. I met Brad & Nancy there. I also ran into Solange at Brown’s Ranch shortly afterward. She’ll make a great councilwoman.
    thanks for your support!